Cataloging photos
(02-01-2022, 08:29 AM)Charlie B Wrote:        I have been organizing scanned photos and it seems to be a never ending job. I have a large collection of photos from the family that date back to pre civil war times as well as my train photo collection. Most of the scanning is done but the files remain to be renamed and photoshopped.  I don't have anyone helping me, and I am the oldest one in my line so I am the only one that has a chance of identifying some of the people. I actually have some grandchildren that are interested so I will continue. 

All,
Sorry for going off topic, but not sure how to respond elsewhere.
Only just learned last week that some Big Blue features are only accessed after signing in, after years of lurking!

Hello Charlie,

I am in a similar situation, but have barely begun to scan.  A major problem for me is file naming and cataloging.  I remember reading a RR magazine article on train photos, which argued the only way to prevent filename confusion and duplication was to somehow incorporate a date/time in a unique filename.

I have toyed with the idea of this filename format:
YYYYMMDD, xxx (number scanned that day), pluse (family last name initial, to ditilnguish my father's family from my  mother's).

So the 15th scan of my father's family photos, scanned today, might be
20220201015S  (assuming Smith for last name)

Info retrieval seems to be a major issue for me in this hobby, as well as family history.
Anyone have thoughts on this on this method?

Should this post be move to the photography section?  
If so, how?

Messages In This Thread
Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-02-2022, 12:55 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by Charlie B - 02-02-2022, 05:44 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-03-2022, 12:05 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by Charlie B - 02-03-2022, 03:40 PM
RE: Cataloging photos - by hillyard999 - 02-05-2022, 10:27 AM