Independence Day Weathering
I was contemplating what I wanted to do for the next two days prior to leaving for Texas.  Tomorrow is Independence Day.  I model the summer of 1976, and last year I bought a pair of CNW 40-ft trailers to place on my 96-ft flat cars to simulate TOFC trains.  They are Walters units decorated for the Bicentennial and they are absolutely PRISTINE!  

It made me think.  Were these trailers brand new in 1976, or were the trailers just repainted?  Personally, I'm trying to weather most of my rolling stock to reflect the era - 1976 was NOT a good time for railroads, and I model early Conrail when stuff was held together with bubble gum and a prayer. I really wanted to find some grimy trailer examples.  Time for a web search...  Found this one....

So, the one on the trailer looks like the bicentennial paint was applied after years of trailer use, which was really what I was hoping for.  The prototype also has corrugated sides versus the flat sides on the Walters version.  I think I'll just ignore that difference. I figure that I'll tape off the red, white and blue stripes and other markings and apply most of the weathering treatments to each trailer and then give the stripes a dusting...  More photos of the process coming.
Check out my "Rainbows in the Gorge" website: http://morristhemoosetm.wixsite.com/rainbows

Messages In This Thread
Independence Day Weathering - by TMo - 07-03-2022, 12:34 PM
RE: Independence Day Weathering - by TMo - 07-03-2022, 03:39 PM
RE: Independence Day Weathering - by Charlie B - 07-03-2022, 07:13 PM
RE: Independence Day Weathering - by ngauger - 07-03-2022, 07:44 PM
RE: Independence Day Weathering - by tompm - 07-03-2022, 08:45 PM
RE: Independence Day Weathering - by ezdays - 07-04-2022, 10:43 AM
RE: Independence Day Weathering - by TMo - 07-04-2022, 01:18 PM
RE: Independence Day Weathering - by Tyson Rayles - 07-05-2022, 12:00 PM