The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #X.. Stop In!!!
Greetings, gang.

Partly cloudy, soggy, and 72 degrees. 96% humidity here and I'd be happy to ship some to Jim. Gonna be like this for the next several days. 70% chance of storms overnight tonight.

Fairly routine day yesterday. I did get the yard mowed yesterday but I sent my ambition to the gym without me. This morning I have a baseball game for one of the great-grandsons at 10.

All stay safe.

Tom
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
Good morning all, another Friday at hand and a hot one for sure. We hit 115 yesterday and they're saying we'll see the same today. I saw a  thing on the TV news about how we should raise the A/C temps of our thermostats a few degrees in order to offset the higher cost of electricity. Why don't they just do something to lower the cost? I keep mine set too high to start with and I'm guessing my power bill for June will be around $400. They built a nuclear generating station here around 30 years ago, and the day they fired it up, we were paying into a fund to tear it down. BTW, most of the power generated is going to California, yet they're not paying to dismantle it.

My grip for the day....

I have finished my Christmas presents project, I can't say what it is because my son is our webmaster and he might just read my post. But anyway, it'll give me enough time now to start on my layout challenge.

Have a great weekend everyone, and Tom, if you want to share that rain with me as well as Jim and even Kevin, we'd all be beholding to you. It's been at least three months since we saw any rain.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Hello Blue
Fri. 6/21 90s today with more storms predicted. It would be day 3 of damaging storms if they arrive this afternoon.
Don you can tell me what the present is. I won't tell.
My wife got a visit from one of her sisters yesterday, the had a good gab fest. 
S.J.
TCA.....Detroit3Railers.....Glancy modular layout(Detroit historical Society)
Good evening folks

Getting here late. The past three days at the project site have been brutal with the 90 plus temperatures and sun. There is no shade on the site. Just dust and concrete. The last two days have been the worst with waiting around for concrete trucks to arrive. By the time I get home I am cooked.

A good part of this weekend will be spent trying to cool and limiting the time outside. Watering the gardens will be a high priority. I will need to run to the grocery store and the produce. I may try to sneak out to the local hobby shop if the opportunity arises. I have some plants that must be moved outside. There are the usual household stuff such as laundry and cleaning.

As far as modeling the weekend is off to a fair start. I did a couple of plastic to Kadee coupler conversions, add screws to a couple of Athearn blue box coupler clips. I ran some trains and solved the problem of a derailing boxcar. Appears the metal wheels that were installed had to be replaced with new ones. I need to find my wheel/track gauge to check the old wheels. I am hoping to get some work doe on the bridges area of the layout.

I hope everybody have a good evening.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Greetings, gang.

Clearing and still very humid with 99% humidity and 68 degrees warming to the mid 80s later. Also the potential for still more rain. Got another inch and a half overnight.

Yesterday was a very quiet day for me. I felt a little light headed/dizzy when I got up yesterday. Apparently I'm not as young as I think I am. Still tired from the trip so I took it very easy, even tried to take a nap. Feeling much better this morning. Saturday is of course laundry day but it should be really easy since I got most of it done on Wed. when I got home. I do need to run to the grocery store for a few items but the majority of the day is still unplanned.

Walmart/Murphy oil has removed the 91 octane that my car uses and only has the 93 octane now which is almost a dollar higher than the 87 and 30 cents higher than the 91 octane. Time to find a new gas station. Interestingly enough (or not) my moped also uses 91 octane gas.

All stay safe.

Tom

edit to add: Google street view came by at the end of May and the new pic of the house are already up. Last time it took several months for the new photos to get posted.

Good late morning to ya all. Well, for some 8:30 is early, but I'm normally up at 4:00, today being Saturday I managed to sleep until 7:30, a new record for me.

Got a few house things to do, something in the workshop and maybe time to work on my layout challenge. If not, tomorrow for sure..

Costco & Sams running now at $3.28 for regular, many others still around $3.50+/-

Getting warm around here, NWS says it hit 117 at the airport yesterday. None of the forecasters got even close with their guesses. They did say there would be some rain, yup, in the same area, east of Queen Creek in the extreme Southeast part of the county. Not a drop anywhere else.

Enough for now, got to get busy, running late, even for a Saturday, but that extra sleep was worth it.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Sat. 6/22
Hello Blue
Sun and 90s for the day with the threat of storms, would be 3 days in a row.
I cut the front grass yesterday then quit. The back yard will have to wait.
No train news, gas is still $3.59 most places. Aldis eggs were $1.89.
S.J.
TCA.....Detroit3Railers.....Glancy modular layout(Detroit historical Society)
Greetings, gang.

71 going to 93. Chance of storms tonight.

Quiet day yesterday. Watched the F1 race and it was only moderately entertaining. late afternoon I rode the moped for a while. I still get a grin when I ride it. Even got a horn beep from another rider. Getting the tires rotated is the only thing on the agenda for today.

FYI I am not anywhere near any of the flooding in the state. Prayers for those who are.

All stay safe.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I was concerned about that after seeing the newscasts. They keep showing local flooding, but it's all archive. Yesterday the TV lady said we were hit by the first monsoon storm, but it turned out to be up northeast, away from any populated areas. No floods, I think the weather folks are a bit disappointed... Today, "a stray shower possible". Yeah, just like every other day.

Good morning to ya all, 'tis Monday once again and hard to believe, just about the end of June already. We did hit 117 the other day, let's hope that's the peak for this summer. Last year was brutal, record-high temps and little rain. Still, folks are piling in here. Seems like every new house development or apartment fills up as fast as they build them. There's a couple of square miles to the west of me that was farmland. I remember fields of corn, carrots and one patch full of flowers. Now that area is dotted with homes, apartments and commercial shops. Costco started it a few years ago, now that area is jammed with every chain store and restaurant from a small Arby's to a huge American Home Furniture. 

My only thought is, where is all that food that was grown here coming from now? I watch a program about folks smuggling things across our boarders and I see hundreds of trucks coming in from Mexico and I have my answer. The show I saw the other day, they threw away a whole truckload, (600 cases) of hot peppers because cocaine was hidden in the crates and contaminated the load, they filled two huge dumpsters with the peppers.

Just a little bit of what goes on here in the Arizona desert....

Have a great day and stay safe....
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hi all. like don its a shock that were starting into the last week in June don't know were times goes. as to heat were at 108 yesterday kind of normal for us here. lost three of our old hens so far this summer need to get some chicks in the fall to replace then the ones that died were from 8 to 11 years old were going to make stew of them, but they didn't wait. 
other than that, nothing new to report so stay safe and hydrated Jim.
Good morning folks

It is 76, going up to 84. It is a great deal more pleasant today than it was this weekend. However the 90 plus days will be returning tomorrow.

Friday after work I ran to the pharmacy and grabbed dinner for my wife and I from Poke Brothers. Once I was home, I moved a load of clothing from the washer to the dryer and threw a load in the washer. After that I began to run some trains. I soon discovered a couple of cars still had plastic couplers, so I quickly changed them to Kadee couplers. Then one of the cars started derailing. It could not make a full loop around the layout. I adjusted the trucks. Checked the coupler height. I changed the direction the car would travel, and it still would derail. Since I could not find my NRMA track gauge I could not determine if the wheels were in gauge. So I just changed out the wheels for another set and lo and behold no more derailing.

Saturday was ungodly hot. At one point the thermometer in the car read 101. I try to sleep late on the weekends since I have to get up so early during the week but the cats demanded to get fed. After I fed them, the dog, and the Guinea pigs I went outside and water the gardens. At one point I seriously considered turning the hose on myself. Once my wife got up and we had breakfast we went out to Kohl’s. My wife wanted to replace some shorts. Losing 100 pounds she is finding less and less of her clothing still fits. Unfortunately, the trip was not successful as they did not have any of her size in the style she was looking for. We got gas at a nearby Wawa. I paid $3.53 a gallon. It was too hot to drive to Delaware to get cheaper gas. At home I moved some plants outside, and my wife cleaned them up. Now we need to find places for them. I did run some trains, but I spent more time entering cars into my inventory system.

Sunday heat was worse than Saturdays. I managed to water all the gardens without soaking myself. We worked on finishing cleaning and setting up the aquarium. I did some light cleaning and more laundry. We mostly lounged around waiting for the thunderstorms. Eventually one came around dinner time and cooled things off somewhat. I ran trains and entered a few more cars into the inventory system.

After work I need to run to the grocery store and PetSmart. I am hoping to work on the Bridges Area tonight at some point. I need to clean up the layout from my running trains this weekend.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery
(06-24-2024, 08:42 AM)tompm Wrote: ... My wife wanted to replace some shorts. Losing 100 pounds she is finding less and less of her clothing still fits. 

Tom, that is a MAJOR accomplishment.
Any tips on what approach she used?

My 35 year old son (ectomorph thin) decided on a diet to offset his dad-body. 
His secret:  he is cutting out on third helpings. 

anyway congrats to your wife on her resolve.
Afternoon all. Trying to have a relaxing day while preparing for tomorrows colonoscopy. Boy am I hungry.

Other than that, I think I decided on a challenge project.

Have a good one, all.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Greetings, gang.

Another hot one under way this morning. 78 now with 89% humidity. Supposed to get to near 90 again today. Then a stray front comes through tonight possibly causing some thunderstorms. After that temps revert back to the mid 80s with overnight lows in the low 60s.

Fairly quiet day yesterday. Took the car in to get the tires rotated. Appointment at 10, they took the car in at about 10:15, 10:30 they finally started on it. 10 minutes later it was all done and they were so proud of themselves for such prompt service. After lunch I needed to find a cardboard box to ship something and stopped at a friend's office. Wound up going to their place for supper. Got home about 8 (with the box). Today I need to confirm the shipping address. Only other activity is a baseball game at 6 for one of the great-grandsons.

Ga jumped to $3.44 yesterday and I am certain that it has absolutely nothing to do with the long weekend approaching.

All stay safe.

Tom

Good morning folks

It is a nice 84 degrees. We expect a high of 92 degrees. The humidity is very low so it actually feels comfortable.

Last evening I installed the new filter in the fishpond. Everything seems to be running fine. I believe we have at least one frog that found its way to the pond. I heard a chirp and then saw a splash. We have not put a frog or any tadpoles in the pond, so this guy found his way to our pond. It happens every so often.

I finished running the current train that I have been. I need to start putting the rolling stock away. I also need to work on the Bridges Area.

(06-24-2024, 10:51 AM)hillyard999 Wrote:
(06-24-2024, 08:42 AM)tompm Wrote: ... My wife wanted to replace some shorts. Losing 100 pounds she is finding less and less of her clothing still fits.

Tom, that is a MAJOR accomplishment.
Any tips on what approach she used?

My 35 year old son (ectomorph thin) decided on a diet to offset his dad-body.
His secret: he is cutting out on third helpings.

anyway congrats to your wife on her resolve.

It has been a long journey of over two years. She started out with a program on her phone called Noom which teaches you about weight loss and helps you monitor your progress. She has been a type 2 diabetic for the last 26 years. A little over a year ago she had a long discussion with her endocrinologist. One of the things they discussed was her weight and how to lose it. She found out that the amount of insulin she was taking was impeding her ability to lose weight. The best way to reduce the insulin was to lose weight but the insulin would not let her. As they say a classic Catch 22 scenario. At that point the doctor put her on Mounjaro. Since then, her weight has steadily gone done. Her blood sugar has improved as has her A1C. It is not just the medication. We have improved our eating habits. We rarely go out to eat and have cut back on take out. If she had not lost the weight she would probably encounter some serious health issues in the near future such as another blood clot, additional neuropathy in her feet which could lead to loosing her feet. Not being able to walk, continuing and worsening shortness of breath, and more frequent asthma attacks all were in her future. Now she is walking longer distance and standing for longer periods of time. She is still limited by her spinal problems. Asthma and allergy attacks are less frequent. She got through the spring without any ER visits this year. I feel like I am getting back my wife. (WARNING RANT COMING) This is why both of get so angry about the fact that people are using Mounjaro for weigh loss only. Many of them are using it to loss only a few pounds. I have no issues with people who are truly severely obese as the medication is a life saver. Now I see ads where celebrities are encouraging people to use this diabetes medication to loss weight like they did and doctors are prescribing it for them by lying about what it is being used for. All this is creating a serious shortage of this medication which could be a life sustaining medication for some people like my wife. She was off the medication earlier this year for about three weeks. She was lucky and only gained about 5 pounds. However by the third week her blood sugar was getting out of control. (END RANT).

Sorry for the length of this post.

I hope everybody has a good day.
Tom
My Rail Images Gallery