Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures...
I'm jumping in here a bit late, but MIkey is right, what I do is use a photo editing program called, "PhotoPlus". It's like a few others that I've played with over the years, but I can set my picture size by either pixels or inches, then when I go to "export optimize", I can select a % of quality that will tell me what the end filesize will be. It's usually anything from 100% down to maybe 80% depending on the original picture size and I think content. I always make sure my pics fit within the maximum allowed.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Oh Mann - I give up!!! We'll have to see if pat can think of anything Sad Sad
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
So, this is using the gallery? Not using photobucket or other sites and the img tag? Also attaching to a post is different.

If the gallery sees different images as different sizes, I can only think it must be related to the program that created/converted/resized the image last. Maybe it's calculating the size one way, but it's getting set a differently. Are all of these images coming from the same camera and edited by the same program?

I will look to see if there are any updates or bug fixes for the software.
Ummm... can you guys please try your tests again. I was just looking through the web server error logs and apparently I forgot to install one of the image libraries. :oops:

I really hopes this makes everything automagically better.
I just attempted to load the pictures that wouldn't go last night. The first 61 uploaded quickly and with no problems. I tried #62 on its own, with no success, then checked its properties: 800x604. Eek The last 6 images, even though they were re-sized like the rest (all in the same batch of 136, actually) were all that odd size. I re-sized them to 795x600, and the problem was solved. Looks like that forgotten installation did the trick, Pat. Thanks for your perseverance on this.

EDIT: I have posted these re-sized photos in a thread HERE . For some reason, the right edge of the photos is again cut off - clicking on the image will show the full picture, but in a thread with so many pictures, it's likely to become tiresome.

Wayne
I tried shrinking the thumbnail sise.. No luck.... We'll think of something..
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I have some trouble GETTING pictures. Masonjar had a thread "Western Shipping" and all I got was red X boxes. On this thread, Doctorwayne said to see pictures click "here". I did and got red X boxes. I seem to get most pictures, but some I can't. Do those sizes have anything to do with it?

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
yellowlynn Wrote:I have some trouble GETTING pictures. Masonjar had a thread "Western Shipping" and all I got was red X boxes. On this thread, Doctorwayne said to see pictures click "here". I did and got red X boxes. I seem to get most pictures, but some I can't. Do those sizes have anything to do with it?

Lynn
thats exactly the problem i have with the gallery, only the pics are like "ghosts" :o , if i put a pic in the gallery, then post it to a thread, SOMETIMES it will show up, other times it wont, it will be a red X . if i hit page refresh sometimes the red X will become a pic, sometimes it wont, nothing is consistant. I have also noticed the pics from OUR OWN gallery come up, when they do come up, VERY SLOW.

how do we solve this problem?
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
I have just gone back and clicked thet red HERE in doctorwaynes post, and got all the pictures. WOW! am I glad I got them. They are fantabulous.

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
doctorwayne Wrote:EDIT: I have posted these re-sized photos in a thread HERE . For some reason, the right edge of the photos is again cut off - clicking on the image will show the full picture, but in a thread with so many pictures, it's likely to become tiresome.

I think they want people to use the "albumthumb" button. By using that with your gallery image numbers, they are smaller. When you click on the photo, it does that gallery pop up thing inside the window without navigating away from the page. I'm not sure what's cutting off the sides of the pictures at this point. It could be something with the theme in the way it displays the posts.
Well, I'm still having problems uploading pictures to the Gallery. I re-sized a photo from 1632x1232 and 517Kb to 800x604 and 92Kb, (too large) then re-sized that to 795x600 (for some reason, it went to 130Kb), and it was still "too large". I re-sized it yet again, to 795x600 and 126 Kb, with still no luck. This is too much trouble to bother with, and linking pictures from photobucket is equally unsuitable, as one third of the picture gets lopped off when viewed here.

Wayne
I have just plain given up on posting photos. I don't like off site hosting with a few exceptions where I can limit access. I just ran across one of my pictures quite by accident on another site. I got credit but with my name misspelled, but it would have been darned nice if they had asked for permission to post it. This is not the first time this has happened. I will share anything I have and enjoy doing it but when I'm willing to give something away I don't think it right that someone tries to profit.
As for posting in the gallery here I don't like the water mark nor do I like the way the photos are displayed with effects. The effects take bandwidth that could be used for photo size.
Charlie
We're still working on all this... I didn't notice there was a watermark Sad Sad It's turned off now....

As far as posting, we're still trying to move the personal info to the left side of the screen, that should solve the clipping problem..

and the file sizes are 600 H X 800 W X 125 k.. so you can see where the pictures were too large.. i never had a picture become a larger file after I shrunk it.. Sad That's strange...

Charlie
What effects are you referring to??
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Personally I don't or have ever used the gallery here or any where else I've always used imagshack or shutterfly without any issues. In fact on my computer I have imageshack toolbar installed and I can right click on a picture or multiple pictures and upload them to the imageshack server and then post them in a thread without having to change any properties.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
ngauger Wrote:We're still working on all this... I didn't notice there was a watermark Sad Sad It's turned off now....
Charlie
What effects are you referring to??
Ngauger, the watermark is now gone and so is the effects. The photos pop up instantly when they are clicked on. Thank you it may have been the watermark causing most of the loading problems I was having. Maybe it will solve Wayne's problem too.
Charlie