The Nomad Valley under construction
Why DPDT, where a SPDT will do...? It's cheaper and less complicated (1/2 the wires....., almost)...
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Why DPDT, where a SPDT will do...? It's cheaper and less complicated (1/2 the wires....., almost)...

Hi Gus.
That's what I happen to have on hand. When I can afford to order more I will get SPDT.

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Quote:Anything that is mounted on the surface of the layout will be visible; and any switch, no matter how small, will be out of scale and detract from the layout.

So I guess Caboose Industries Ground throws are out of the question? 24 Just messing with you, Russ. I agree as well. Still, it's about finding that balance between scale fidelity and function and cost IMO. I think tortoise machines and DCC control, etc. is pretty neat, but it more than doubles the cost per turnout.

Somebody needs to come out with an easy-to-install, universal, motorized under-table turnout control that routes power and won't break the bank. Sure, maybe you can build a home-brew version for cheaper, but consider R&D costs in time and frustration. I just refuse to buy Tortoise and similar machines simply due to cost. But after developing my own power-routing manual mechanism that ties in with my hand laid turnouts and installing a few, I'm almost willing to consider purchasing a machine alternative...when the cash becomes available sometime in 2011.

As for having me to talk to, gee Loren, you make it sound like the rest of these guyz are just chopped liver! All I do, honest, is just drop by occasionally, smile, point and grunt. Sometimes it's even coherent. I don't see why he even lets me in the door. And I do seem to bring Murphy with me, at least operating the switching layout. Icon_lol

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Far from being chopped liver, Galen. The people here are the most helpful, friendly people I have met on the internet. The amount of information and knowledge this group possesses is a real treasure house for a bumbler like me.
But, there is only so much you can convey with pictures and writing. Seeing something in person makes all the difference in the world.

Loren
i say we just make our engines battery powered and forget all this wiring mess :mrgreen: .it would also make track clenaing a thing of the past Thumbsup --josh
Women may not find you handsome,but they'll atleast find you handy--Red Green
C&O ALL THE WAY--[Image: chessie.gif]
Quote:i say we just make our engines battery powered

Eek Eek Too often,I have to recharge my camera batteries, before I can shoot pic's! If I had batteries in the locos, my battery charger would melt down from the excess use!....................but I like the idea of no more track cleaning 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Well, my yard is all ready ripped up Eek
It looked OK on paper, but when I laid it out on the table, and started putting it together, I realized I wasn't happy with it. It was to big and complicated for the type of layout I am going to have. It was Ok for a big city layout, but not the more laid back, switching type of layout I am trying to build.
So, I went with the yard that Stein ( thank You, Stein ) had drawn up for me before. I knew it was a better design, but I quess I wasn't listening to the voice of reason that told me it was better :oops:
Anyhow here's the yard plan now, using # 6 turnouts.

Loren

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:Far from being chopped liver, Galen. The people here are the most helpful, friendly people I have met on the internet. The amount of information and knowledge this group possesses is a real treasure house for a bumbler like me.
But, there is only so much you can convey with pictures and writing. Seeing something in person makes all the difference in the world.

Loren

You are correct, sir, on all counts, except that your 'bumbling' if you can call it that, results in some pretty nice modeling!

As for seeing things in person, well, once we spend some time unpacking you'll have to drop by and take a turn on the timesaver. I'm way too excited about our new place that it's oozing out into every thread I visit!

Good for you, also, on having the courage to rip out and start over. Speaking of that timesaver, I may be doing just that on a couple of the turnout fixtures. I had to replace one and I like the design I used there much better than what I started with, but haven't got around to doing the rest since before the moving process began last year.

Anyway, I think you've made a great choice on Stein's plan. Any more thoughts on an industry for that corner?

Galen
Hi Galen.
Your new house sounds great Thumbsup
Thanks for the invitation. I remember pictures of your time saver on the other forum, so I am looking forward to seeing ( and operating it ). And thanks for the compliment. :oops:
As far as that industry goes, I have no idea yet. I may take a picture of that area tomorrow, start a thread and see what ideas pop up.

Loren
I can't believe it has been two weeks since an update :oops: Actually, a lot has been going on with the layout. One step forward and ten steps back Wallbang
I laid all the turnouts with a thin layer of latex caulking, and most of them popped loose Curse I am using Atlas c100 flex track and stripping the ties off to build my turnouts. Well, when you strip the ties, the track piece curves upward which I did not see before. So, most of my turnouts are bowed. I ended up straightening them in a vice between two pieces of wood. Big Grin Only one frog came loose Big Grin
Then, I gaped the frog to close together causing a short when a loco goes through. I figured a smaller gap, no need to power frog, right :?: Wrong :!: Stuff like this is what happens when I have to much time to think. So, now I am rebuilding the turnouts as I go along 35
And then, the turnout controllers I had planned on making did not work out the way I had hoped. I was going to use the Gary S. type but with dpdt slide switches to power the frog. After a day of fiddling I managed to get two working Wallbang They do not seem to have enough throw set up that way.
Now, I am the type that will get a brilliant idea, go buy all the stuff I need, and then it don't work Nope Which means I end up with all this stuff I will never use. So, this time I was determined to use what I all ready had. I ended up mounting the slide switch on the fascia board, ran a piece of spring steel wire under the table top to the turnout, and it works great Icon_idea Some day I might even pretty them up. Here's a pic.
Well, that's it for now, more when ever I can take another step forward.

Loren

Attached Files Image(s)

Quote:Well, that's it for now, more when ever I can take another step forward.

It's probably become cliche' by now, but even when you fall, fall forward! Thanks for sharing the tough times as well as the successes.

Galen
The way I look at it, if somebody learns from my mistakes, it was worth it.

Loren
Well, I rebuilt and wired in another turnout, ran a loco through it and everything was fine. Big Grin
Rebuilt and wired in another turnout, I have a short Curse Removed the new turnout, still have a short. Curse Swept all the track to make sure nothing was across the rails, still have a short. Curse Took out the other turnout I put in today, still have a short. Curse
So now, I quess I start unwiring every turnout until I find the short. I have been testing each turnout as I wire it, and running a loco, so it could be anywhere. Wallbang

Loren
Loren,

I had a similiar problem on my layout, mine turned out to be a problem with the loco. Are you using the same loco each time?

Bruce
Well, my yard is finally operational. Big Grin
I put in the last flex track piece today, plus feeders to every turnout and piece of track. I must say, I am very happy with the turnouts I built. I can free roll a loose box car through the whole ladder ( even the "S" curve ) with out derailing. I think that is pretty darn good.
There is still lots of work there, but at least I can now move to other parts of the layout if I want to.

Loren

Attached Files Image(s)