And You Thought......
Installing a DCC decoder in an Athearn Blue Box was hard?
Try taking a picture of a lightning bolt.
This was just taken tonight by me. Its kinda like another hobby. Out of the fifteen years of trying to get a picture of a lightning bolt, this is only the second good one that I ever got.

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Whoa! Eek Cool shot Ed! Were you wearing rubber soled shoes? Goldth
Ralph
That's impressive! Worship Now, that is a snapshot and not a still from a video, right? Icon_lol
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Nice!!! yeah - I've tried that too Smile Smile i got a few good ones Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Excellent shot..!! I can see why they'd be hard to capture...Last only a fraction of a second....

Now for some "controversy"...I've heard people say that lightning bolts originate on the ground and travel upwards...others say the opposite. So....what's the real deal here..?? Nope
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Excellent shot..!! I can see why they'd be hard to capture...Last only a fraction of a second....

Cheers 88, that is a fantastic shot!! Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Thanks guys,
It was taken with my Kodak C743. I didn't realize I got it until I reviewed the pics.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Absolutely fantastic!!! and now for the Rrrest of the story, only about 10 percent or less, actually travel upward, and those are only from the very fiercest [sp] of storms. Or so I've been told.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Excellent shot.
Well worth the wait Cheers
Will Annand
CVR in N Scale
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html">www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html</a><!-- w -->
That has to be difficult at best to capture. Great shot. Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Wow! That's impressive. What an amazing picture. (I'm not a big fan of lightning. As a pilot who flies around - waaaay around - Tstorms and who's plane has been hit a few times, it a beautifully powerful but scary occurrence.)
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Steamtrains Wrote:Excellent shot..!! I can see why they'd be hard to capture...Last only a fraction of a second....

Now for some "controversy"...I've heard people say that lightning bolts originate on the ground and travel upwards...others say the opposite. So....what's the real deal here..?? Nope

I believe both can apply. Just depends on where the negative charge is. Either in the ground or in the sky.

I remember seeing a lightning bolt start from a cloud and curve into an almost perfect circle to either the bottom of a cloud or another cloud that was underneath the first one. That was the freakiest bolt I've ever seen and I've never seen any others like that since.

And yes, that is a beautiful shot!
Can you use a photocell or similar sensor to trip the shutter?
I know how hard that is! I took these the hard way as well. One night last year during the monsoons, it was popping every 2-3 seconds so I went outside and took almost 100 pictures hoping that I might get something. Nothing special, just a little kodak DX 4900 easy share. Of all the pictures I took, I got two decent shots (if you want to call them that).

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=862]

[Image: image.php?album_id=6&image_id=861]
Beautiful pics - from both of you!

Yes, you just have to be lucky to get a decent (or even a good) photograph of a lightning bolt. Forget to press the shutter as soon as you see a lightning - you're way too slow!

If your camera has a shutter which can be opened for x seconds (by a cable) just mount it on a tripod, point to the part of the sky where most lightnings appear and open it. This way the next lightning will photograph itself! After the flash, close the shutter. The problem is the setting of the aperture of the camera. If it is too wide, the bolt will appear washed out, and if it is too small, the bolt only looks like a hair-fine line. And, of course, most of the lightnings are coming down (up?) just outside of the sky section you are pointing at - another application of Murphy's law!

Therefore it is still very improbable to get a good shot at the first few tries. I did some lighning photography a long time ago (about 40 years) on color slide film - and I remember that I got one good and two mediocre pictures from 15 rolls of film! After that I stopped lightning photography for good! This just became way too edxpensive! Icon_lol

Of course today it is MUCH cheaper doing the same with the digital cameras. But even then - it's still difficult to get good pics. Therefore: Congratulations, Ed and TrainNut

Ron
Boss of the Trim Creek & Western RR (H0 & H0n3)
Running through the hard-shell mountains, not around them!