Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout
ocalicreek Wrote:
bob_suruncle Wrote:no annoying questions allowed Icon_lol

this is a retail coal dealer... selling coal to heat your home, etc.

So what looks an awful lot like water is actually a road surface?

Galen

Yeah I think when I read "pier" in one of the earlier posts I got a wee bit confused too. It all makes sense when you think of the lower level as a terra firma. Unless of course people paddle up to the pier and load the coal onto their boats. Wink
Galen ...

...you and I have gotten too used to watching Tetters build trestles next to walls! We assume that If a trestle is next to a wall, there is probably water and some sort of barge involved.

Wait ...

... um ...

... you mean ...

... that isn't water?

Hunh!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
ocalicreek Wrote:
bob_suruncle Wrote:no annoying questions allowed Icon_lol

this is a retail coal dealer... selling coal to heat your home, etc.

So what looks an awful lot like water is actually a road surface?

Galen

Well road / driveway surface yes.
I have been really slacking off over the Holidays so its time to get back at it. I have most of the ballast down and hope to complete it by this weekend at which time I will hopefully have some pics to prove that I did something
Well maybe if you brought your camera home it would be easier to remember to take some pics! 790_smiley_picking_a_fight
Okay so enough about pictures as there is really nothing of significant consequence to post other than more ballasting completed. I started noodling around a shed to sit next to the coal dock and thought it might be fun to scratch build one.... so I threw some basswood in a baggy with some ink/alcohol stain to get prepped. Came back to it the next day and no real change...hmmmmm okay so leave it for a couple of days. Pulled it out after 4 days and set it out to dry... once dry it looked like basswood with tiny ink spots on it even though I kept turning the bag to mix things up. Oh well so I have to do some painting. Started laying out one wall and went with 24" centers and boy is that small in HO! tried my trusty testors wood glue and it just wasnt holding up well... tried CA and kicker... then picked up the finished wall a few minutes later to move it so I could start the next wall and it stuck to my fingers... Wallbang I promptly went all 44 tonner on the wall section Curse and turned it to match sticks and walked away.

going 44 tonner is the model railroad equivalent to going postal. I was building a keystone 44 tonner and had it all done and was applying the last decal and picked up the plastructs liquid cement instead of solvaset and ruined the paint... this after a number of other challenges with the build resulted in me laughing hysterically while I slammed the model repeatedly on the work bench and then bounced if off the nearest basement wall. My wife thought it was very mature of me. 35

anyway I will try again with the shed build but I think I will use some commercial driftwood stain this time and maybe some UHU or ambroid for glue.
quickie update.... ballasting is completed and I have honed my ballasting skills so that my layout will look even better. couple of pics for you.... OH no Mable is down! Paging doctor Squidly!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Mable might be down, but you've got to issue a flood warning too, there's a building floating in the water too, hope that's not Mable's house? ;-)

It really is starting to look good, you're starting to get a feel for the place, now that some of the base scenery is done.
Keep us posted!

Koos
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
That culvert is fantastic! Nicely done!!!! Thumbsup
Ralph
Nice build here Bob! Once you spray that track, things seem to move right along. Neatly flowing plan you've got. Looking forward to more. -Bill
thanks everyone for you kind comments. I spent some time last night weathering ballast using heavily diluted black and rust colors and flowing them on with an eyedropper.... the change is dramatic and in progress. I will take some shots of it once I get the basics done.
things have been slow on the build as we start planning to move our store to a new larger location but I was able to build a grassinator out of an old electric zap flyswatter and a kitchen sieve... shhhhhh don't tell my wife!! And wow this thing actually works well! Now I have no excuse for not completing some scenery.. 357

I did also manage to finish ballasting up to the coal dock but not until I turned the layout on its side to look at some wiring only to hear the entire coal dock slide off the end and hit the floor... DOH! :oops: Only a couple of minor breaks at glue joints which I have already corrected

Time to start building some structures sooooooon. An I will try to get a shot of the new grassinator up shortly.
Okay so maybe the attached image will start to give everyone the idea of where I am going with the coal dealer. Yes I know the image sucks... phone cam other one is on charge.

Update: I decided to put up a couple of slightly less dismal images after getting some further work done last evening... still a long way to go though. gosh that truck is pathetic!!! better pickup an new pickup Icon_lol

Attached Files Image(s)

oh yes and the new grassinator too... oops guess I have some paint on my hands... go figure

Attached Files Image(s)