GEC's Layout Progress
Well, I got some neat new projects for a future rainy day-

Comet III push-pull cars

Prototype Info

The "Comet" series of commuter cars began with the Pullman Standard cars for the Erie Lackawanna between 1968 and 1971. The title "Comet", however, was not officially bestowed onto the cars until the 1982 order of the "Comet IIs", a direct development by Bombardier of the original Pullman Standard design. These were NJ transit's first "New" cars. They were purchased to replace the steam-heated commuter cars then in service, specifically the 1920s era CNJ suburban Push-pull trains. The name "Comet" is a reference to the CNJ's Blue comet.

The Comet IIIs were initially ordered by NJ Transit in 1991. Built by Bombardier, these cars were the first of the "comet" series to feature a High-level Center Door (similar to the Jersey Arrows) for faster boarding and increased accessibility. they were rated at 100 MPH in pull, and 90 MPH in push mode. The cars came in three versions, a coach, coach with toilet, and a cab control car (which also featured a toilet). Metro North and SEPTA also purchased their own versions of this car.

Despite being relatively young, NJ Transit's Comet IIIs are currently in storage, while many older models continue to run in revenue service. As it turns out, while the cars were not unreliable, they were never updated or rebuilt like many of the older Comet IIs were. This resulted in the Comet III class falling behind. Ultimately, NJ Transit opted to put its budget into the new Multi-level cars, rather than rebuilding the Comet IIIs. Indeed, a handful of the 1968 Comet I cars outlasted them before their retirement.

The Models

The models were produced by Imperial Hobby Productions, but they have been out of production for a while. I have newly acquired a cab-car and toilet coach, which joined my other two Comet III coaches. These had sat unfinished since I lacked the cab control car to make a prototypical consist. As I understand it, the Comet IIs and Comet IIIs could not be mixed on NJ Transit (this does not appear to be the case on SEPTA, which appears to sprinkle one or two into each considy).

These will get painted for NJ Transit, though if I can find some more regular Comet III trailers, I may paint them as SEPTA cars to replace some of my more beat-up SEPTA Comet IIs.

Fortunately, these kits straight forward, and unlike my Arrows, they should go together quickly once painted.

Comet IIIs at Newark Penn Station

[Image: 97047583_e6417431de_b.jpg]

Conrail N5K class caboose

I was flipping through the "Conrail Color Guide to Freight Equipment", when I came across a photo of an odd looking caboose that was clearly rebuilt, classified N5K.

As it turns out, the Penn Central purchased some 1951 era ATSF cabooses in 1970 to supplement its own caboose fleet. These cabooses had their cupolas cut down to a stump, and its windows plated over. Bay Windows were then added to the sides. Conrail eventually relegated them to transfer caboose service.

I figured it was a fairly neat class of caboose, but I didn't think to much of it until browsing through my train club's flea market. As it turns out, Athearn produces the exact class of Caboose from which the N5K was derived, and a partially blown out example of which was for sale cheaply right there!

The model is missing its windows, and the cupola is partially chipped, but then those are two aspects of the caboose that won't matter if I go through the rebuild! Indeed, the only thing holding me back from going for it is I'm not sure how I want to build the Bay windows. Otherwise, it looks like a fun, easy kitbash.

Additionally, the Mount Vernon Shops Decal set actually has the appropriate N5K decals.

This caboose actually still exists, though converted into a hotel.

[Image: cr18446a.jpg]

Here is a surviving Un-rebuilt verson of the caboose.

[Image: atsf_999308_DSC_1098.jpg]

NEW ARROW III AND SILVERLINER IV MARRIED PAIRS

The level of excitment about these is only really dawning on me now. I recently acquired a large number of spare parts for the IHP Arrow and Silverliner IV kits. As it turns out however, I actually had enough spare parts from other sources to ALMOST finish TWO more Arrow III Married pairs (4 cars), as well as an additional Silverliner IV married pair. After contacting IHP, the manufacturer of these its, I have convinced them to make me the remaining parts to complete these kits!

Arrow IIIs

Arrow III Married pairs are amongst the rarer models out there, long out of production. Most of mine I got for doing custom paint work, and I only ever purchased one pair myself, way back in October 2008. That was literally the last time I EVER saw one for sale.

The Married pair sets of the Arrow IIIs were always more numerous (100 Pairs [200 cars] vs 30 single units), and so every Married par I can get helps. This will give me 9 pairs, enough to run two 8 car trains entirely consisting of Married pairs, a common arrangement. I also have 4 Arrow III singles in good shape, and another two that I might be able to get back into working order, for a total of 24 cars.

This means I have enough cars to split my consists into reasonable and manageable 4 to 6 car sets, making my goal of modelling "1 hour" of the Northeast Corridor that much more feasible.

Silverliner IVs

Having an Additional Silverliner IV Married pair also makes me feel easier. The Philadelphia Commuter scene was historically split between the PRR and the Reading Company. As a result, the city of Philadelphia would purchase railcars for both railroads, and they would in turn specify minor differences depending on the railroad's preference.

While I already did have one Silverliner IV Married Pair body shell kit, I was unsure of whether to paint the model for Penn Central/Conrail, or the Reading Company. Now I don't have to choose!

To make things even more convenient, unlike NJ DOT/NJ Transit, SEPTA seemed to prefer to mix in its Single Unit cars. A common Silverliner IV consist includes 2 Single Units and a Married Pair. As I already have 5 Single units (2 Penn Central, 2 Reading, 1 ex-Reading SEPTA Block logo), this will allow me to model representative trains from each "Half" of Philadelphia's Commuter railroads.

While I haven't been able to pick a specific Ex-Reading Company Unit (I'll probably look through my photos for any train I specifically road on), I have selected my "PRR" side unit!

Silverliner IV pair 394-395 are LITERALLY split with Penn Central logos on the former, and Conrail Logos on the latter. Conrail logos were VERY briefly applied to some of SEPTA's silverliners, including two Silverliner IIs, and at least one Silverliner III. As Conrail's Headquarters was in Philadelphia, this was quickly noticed the upper management, who had these Conrail logos quickly removed. Conrail wanted as little to do with Commuter operations as possible!

While the appropriate Conrail Decals may be difficult to find, I suspect Conrail Vehicle Decals (for trucks) might be close enough.

[Image: _original]

Here is the typical Reading Company Silverliner IV Married pair. One of the things that separated the Reading Company MUs from the PRR ones was the use of cow catchers instead of traditional "pilots". These remained on the Reading Silverliner IIs until retirement, and were only relatively recently removed from the former Reading Silverliner IVs now in service.

[Image: US-EMU_SEPTA_116+115@Spring-Garden_Stati...-17-06.jpg]

At least one Silverliner III was painted for Conrail. Lucky for me, I have one more Silverliner III that I have not yet decaled, but has already been through the paint shop!
Its ripe for finishing!

[Image: CR+239+in+North+Philadelphia,+PA_4-1977+(2).jpg]

Speaking of Interesting pictures...

Thank you cnj1524 for those photos and that Pantograph manual, as well as the spare decal sheets! Those are really some of the most amazing shots I've ever seen of Conrail's electric operations. I got a serious kick out of that E44 hauled freight with a whole consist of Southern railway passenger cars (dome car included!) snaking its way through Elizabeth.

There was also at least one good shot facing "west" at North elizabeth from the "east" side, apparently a rare angle! To top it off, there is another set of E44s hauling what I assume to be a dead Amtrak GG1 east bound! Epic shots indeed! I also noticed a few shots of the E44s I eventually chose to model (4456 and 4465), which are really cool.

Thank you again!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Glad you liked the stuff,I started looking for N Elizabeth station pics for you but still have ALOT of photos to look at,I am keeping my last GP40P and finish of my comet cars,looking for club I can join to run some of the stuff I built
Not a whole lot of "Layout" progress to report, as my most of my efforts are on completing the catenary for my module.

That said, there are some neat things.

One of the older tricks in the book...

I was presented with a very cheap Athearn Genesis F89F flat car, which appeared rather badly beaten up. However, repairing it was very simple. The problem? I already owned that particular road number, 153228. The solution? A dot of black paint turns the "8" into a "3". I was worried this would look weird, but it turns out that it looks pretty good.

The "First" 153228-

[Image: P5082791.jpg]

After a quick repair job, "153223" looks pretty good.

[Image: P5082792.jpg]

Even up close, this end could use some touch up, but the reality is that to my rivet-counting eye, this car even passes the "6 inch" rule, let alone the 3' rule. I think I'll count this a success!

[Image: P5082788.jpg]

Trains everywhere

I stopped into a local model aircraft hobby shop to pick up some tools and supplies, and found this boxcar for the right price. Its an old P1K Newsprint car.

They had a second car, in Canadian Pacific green, with only the lettering and no "logo". Does anyone know if this is appropriate for 1979? Hopefully our Canadian membership might be better informed. If it is, I'll pick it up, since I have a new need for Newsprint capable cars.

They seemed to have adopted a similar practice to Conrail with "Yellow" doors indicating clean lading.

[Image: P5082793.jpg]

Donor Santa Fe Caboose

Here is the "Donor caboose", which will soon get cut down to a Penn Central/Conrail class N5K caboose. I'm not sure if these Transfer cabooses ever ended up in New Jersey, but its a neat prototype to practice my kit-bashing skills.

[Image: P5082786.jpg]

Panic Time

One thing I do hope, is that if I can get my catenary together, that I can hurry up and install DCC in my GP40P. Even though its not an "electric" locomotive, I would like to run it on our Northeast Corridor modules with a Jersey Builder consist. I also have a B1 electric that would look good under wire, and its already "prepared" for DCC, just needs to have its harness and lights soldered in.

I am however, not confident I can get this done before friday, but I might run them Saturday if I am fast enough!
Now that the East Penn Show is over, I can move on to a few other projects. Soon, I'll have to go back to work on my club's city scene. I will return to the module soon (want it in TOP shape for the MER division NMRA convention thing), but I'm gonna go back to getting some of my models together.

Proto Amfleet I rolling problems

I was initially excited about the Proto Amfleet I cars by Walthers. These would be all new tooling, and a new truck design. One of the challenges in with the "inside frame" trucks is that the trucks tend to weigh down on the axle and act like a brake. The older design sometimes did not roll very well. This new design with a bushing (very similar to those on Athearn style locomotives) was supposed to be an improvement.

Unfortunately, these cars also roll poorly. Indeed, many cars would not roll period. If you pushed them, they'd stop where you did. Oil helped in the old design, but in the new design, it only made it worse (though smoother).

I have begun loading the bushings/bearings with Kadee "Grease'em", which is a graphite powder. This worked like magic on some of the cars, not so much on others. I have yet to put the entire train on the layout and try running it again, but at least this time, the cars will roll for a distance if pushed.

I'm hoping this can be resolved, since I'd like to run some of the longer amfleet consists if I get the chance. I have finished the work on the cars, but have not yet had a chance to test it.
Proto Amfleet I rolling Problems

Well I took the train to the club and tested it yesterday. The graphite powder was largely a success. The E60 was able to haul the full 7 car consist up "the hill", the club's steepest prolonged grade (4%) with no problem (initially), and it was able to maintain a high speed typical of a Northeast Corridor train through out the majority of the layout out.

The main issue was that excess graphite appears to be falling from the cars. This may have caused reduced performance on the "the Hill", but cleaning the track improved things. I ran the club's cleaning train around to make sure it was cleaned up, and I will return with more cleaning blocks to be sure. a wheel cleaning seems to be in order as well.

One thing I'll need to do is probably apply some more bullfrog snot to the wheels of the E60. An earlier application didn't hold up well, but it may also have been shredded up by the extreme resistance of the amfleet cars without the graphite. I might put it on the center wheels of both trucks, so that there is plenty of grip. This should eliminate future issues with the E60s and the somewhat uncooperative Amfleet cars.

The whole consist. It includes one "will be" Amclub car (decals for these common types were not included for some reason), 1 Amcafe and 5 coaches, spread out in typical NEC fashion with the club car up front, and the Amcafe in the middle of the coaches. Of course, not all trains had this arrangement, but many did.

[Image: P5250104.jpg]

There were a few opportunities for "palindrome" road numbers, so I went for it

Coach 21012

[Image: P5250112.jpg]

AmCafe 20002

[Image: P5250113.jpg]

So far, #968 has been my "experimental" unit, and when I figure out how to get every bit of performance out of this one, I'll apply those changes to 955, 960, and 972. So far, I've added a little over two ounces of weight and some traction to the wheels, and these engines were already fairly capable themselves.

As much as I love GG1s, its nice to have a "different" Amtrak electric to haul these trains. In reality, the E60 was definitely appearing more frequently than GG1s by the end of the 1970s, and were only cut back as AEM7s started bumping them only 5 or 6 years later.

[Image: P5250128.jpg]
Beautiful trains! Good luck with the graphite issue...
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Nice little history of the commit cars. Thumbsup
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
GEC,
i found in the www this article of modifiing the Walthers trucks to reduce the bearing friction:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://geekhobbyist.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/walthers-amfleet-truck-modification/">https://geekhobbyist.wordpress.com/2011 ... ification/</a><!-- m -->

The lubricating of the original Walters trucks with graphite may reduce the friction for a while, but you have to redo this from time to time to keep the friction on a low level grade.
The solution with the brass bushes, so my opinion, is the better one. At least at that point when the rotating wheel axles have started to dig into the plastic material of the unmodified truck.

Lutz
Schraddel Wrote:GEC,
i found in the www this article of modifiing the Walthers trucks to reduce the bearing friction:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://geekhobbyist.wordpress.com/2011/12/26/walthers-amfleet-truck-modification/">https://geekhobbyist.wordpress.com/2011 ... ification/</a><!-- m -->

The lubricating of the original Walters trucks with graphite may reduce the friction for a while, but you have to redo this from time to time to keep the friction on a low level grade.
The solution with the brass bushes, so my opinion, is the better one. At least at that point when the rotating wheel axles have started to dig into the plastic material of the unmodified truck.

Lutz

Ah, but these amfleets have the new trucks! The old trucks could be adequately lubricated with labelle oil. The new trucks actually have a metal bushing like the kind used in locomotive axle, and they grind far worse than the old trucks do.

If only they put a ball bearing in these or something!
Sometimes I just feel worn out!

Vent/Rant Time

Why do I purchase more things, but never finish them? I suppose I have known many modellers who have a stockpile of kits. Still, I feel like I rarely finish anything.

Sometimes its not necessarily my fault. Sometimes the right paint isn't out there, or I'm waiting on out of stock parts. Some kits frustratingly may never have the appropriate parts, especially ones were I took a risk and picked up something unique.

Still, some projects sit unfinished, but the appropriate parts are out there. My C30-7 needs #33 Kadee couplers instead of #5s because of the fit. Why haven't I picked them up? My Ex-LV GP18 project needs that yellow/orange colored paint they used on the handrails and details, why haven't I picked that up? My GP40P just needs a decoder and some decals, why haven't I picked those up?

Its easy to rationalize it as not being able to get to a hobby shop, or trying to cut back on spending. And yet, instead of picking up these simple and relatively "cheap" things, I've managed to pick up even more models, many of which are kits that will require work.

I've ended up with at least one new locomotive, 4 new MU car kits, and a couple more cabooses.

I feel like I sit around watching for the next thing, almost always rare/limited production/marked down, and at the time, it feels like if I don't jump on it, I won't see it again.

For instance, the new locomotive I picked up was an Atlas Conrail B23-7 #2816. Atlas Conrail B23-7s are apparently difficult to come by, particularly the "early" style ones such as #2816. It was sound equipped, but I managed to get it for closer to the price of a non-sound locomotive. Certainly a good opportunity, but did I really need to buy it right then?

Part of me argues yes, part of me reasons that if I wait long enough one will likely show up again. Yet another part reasons there is no way to know when things will show up

I feel like I cannot prioritize correctly. It is not so much that I am prioritizing entirely wrong. I definitely give my life needs, my family, and my job greater priority.

However, I feel like by the time I have time to work on my trains I am distracted/exhausted, and when I think about them, my thoughts always wonder into the future and how great all those new Silverliners will look some day, instead of the unfinished kits they are. In a way, I feel like I am split between everything, and cannot focus on a given thing for too long.

Even worse, I feel like if I have any kind of obligation at all, I just shut down. I don't have school anymore, but for instance, if I have a project I need to do, or I know I have to go somewhere, I'll feel unable to work on my trains, and waste most of the day away, even if I could not reasonably work on said project, or if the appointment I have is many hours away.

In the end, I feel like I get things done in "short bursts". One day, like today, I will get fed up, say to hell with everything else, and I'll try to get something done. With any luck, I won't be immediately shut down by a lack of parts or extreme indecision.

I might get something done today because I am sufficiently wound up, but that's the real problem right there. Why should have to be wound up and frustrated to get something done? Its supposed to be a hobby, it supposed to be fun. Instead, I've nearly mentally exhausted myself before I've even begun.

Now that those thoughts are off my mind....

I do have some new things, I'll post pictures soon.
Mr. _Cab:
The New Yorker wrote a piece about their office's move downtown. Someone talked about all the stuff that had been set aside to be worked on sometime and called it "Accretion of Intention". I printed that on some signs; my wife put on on her bookshelf and I have some on my uncompleted/unstarted kit shelves.

With the current state of the industry, it often helps to buy when available as it may not get re-run in that form.
But one of my friends retired and looked at all the kits he'd accumulated to build "when he had time" and decided that he could now build better models from scratch than from the kits.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
On a recent trip to Strasburg, my girlfriend told me I could pick out ONE TOY. Being me in a nearby hobby shop, I found a whole bunch of things.

I picked up a set of "K"Line Containers that matched the type that we rebuilt into a diesel shop in real life, so that was pretty cool. I also found a Bowser N8 Caboose kit in PC green with a fully spelled out "Conrail" stencil on the side (pics of that when I build it).

The one toy I did pick out though, was an Atlas SD35, #6023.

Conrail SD35 #6023

#6023 started out as PRR 6023 in April of 1965. The SD35 (along with the GP35) set the basic "shape" of EMD locomotives for the past 50 years. This six axle road switcher produced 2,500 HP. 52 of these locomotives made it to the Conrail roster, including 12 from the CNJ. Many of these became helpers in the area of Cresson, Pa. Unfortunately, this small population of locomotives were not especially popular, and all were retired or traded in between 1984 and 1986 for SD50s and parts for MT6 road slugs.

#6023 in particular has been difficult to track. as late as 1978, it still had its PC black and Conrail Patches, but then was in Conrail blue by early 1980. I am curious when it received the blue paint, but I suppose I'll have to keep searching. In any event, the model is a nice short six-axle road switcher, and I've seen many photographs of them on freights on the Northeast Corridor, so they work for me. I might have to do a CNJ patch if I get the chance.

[Image: P9111261.jpg]
Well, its getting to be that time of year again, with train shows and open houses. Its a shame that this year's budget will be tight, as the Model Transit & Trolley Convention in New Brunswick (Oct. 31) and the NJ Layout Design/RPM (Nov. 14-15) are the best shows for finding what I want. Additionally, the NMRA Mid-Eastern Region convention (Oct. 22) is literally 10 minutes from my house, and so I can't say no to that!

Unfortunately, I've never been so busy in my life. As I've ranted above, Its been crazy lately.

Time to Regroup and Get Focused!

I'm trying to pare down my projects to things that are immediately accompishable.
  • Decal and decoder GP40P (its almost ready)
  • Decoderize the PRR B1 (also almost done, just need an appropriate decoder)
  • Pick up my Broadway Limited Project again (dependent on some car sides already on order)

Broadway Limited, Broken Down

The Broadway Limited is the only one with some multi-step problems to solve. 4 cars will need to be completed in order to complete the consist

Broadway Limited Twin-unit Diner Troubles

This two car set has been a nightmare. I picked up the Walthers Twin unit diner undecorated for my birthday. It should have been an easy project, just some silver metallic paint, Amtrak decals, done! Unfortunately, the paint (floquil) reacted with the car sides and created crazed patches that made a metallic pain impossible. It has been extroadinarily difficult trying to polish the sides smooth again, and the sides recently began to crumble.

As it turns out though, NKP Car Co made Nickel-plated steel sides that matched these cars. The single set was apparently the only such sets made before Walthers announced their plastic version, making these a lucky find. The hope now is that the sides will be close enough to the Walthers Sides that I can install them in place of the Walthers sides.

If things line up right, this might be an easy conversion afterall. At the very minimum, if I get these twin-unit diners running, I can run a somewhat truncated version of the Broadway Limited. Only the trucks still need to be painted, the rest of the car is ready to go.

Ex-New Haven sleeper lounge

I'm not sure if I'll be able to get this one running, but I could atleast build up the body. The main issue with this one is that the sides have their skirts, removed by amtrak, and are nickel-plated steel. This would make deskirting difficult with the tools I have on hand. Once deskirted, I could at least begin to assemble the body. With any luck, underbody details are readily available through Train Station Products kits.

Lounge Car choices

The remaining 4th car can go one of two ways. I have a completed Ex-Army Hospital "Le-pub" car body, but no trucks or underbody details, and it still needs to be painted. This is the more typical car in the consist.

The other option is an Ex-SCL round end observation car, an undec Walthers car, but it ready to roll. The main complication here is that it needs a rebuilt end with a diaphragm, and information about this modification is lacking. I might just have to mcguyver it and make it looks as close to the photos as possible, but In theory, this would be the fastest car to build. I already have the diaphragm and the styrene I need to build the new end. I suppose I just need to take the leap!

Gotta set other things aside

There are so many other projects on my plate, but I need to start somewhere. Maybe when things start getting finished, I'll start feeling better.
Not got much to say, but that I always find stuff you post inspiring, so don't get disheartened. The modelling mojo comes and goes.
Tim David
The layout is looking great.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string