Something is weird with my tracks...
I designed a pass thru siding in Atlas' Right Track Software, but my sectional track does not seem to fit well. I am using the recent Atlas right and left snap switches (the ones with no #'s) for the siding. When I design track layouts with RTS, it goes fine when I don't have switches in the design. What could I be doing wrong? Sad Oh well, I could use some flex track instead if I couldn't pin point the problem.
http://www.balcos.net
Michael Balcos
Hell-bent model railroader in the Philippines Smile
Someone with the same software is going to have to reply with an answer as to "why"?

But as I started reading I was thinking "Flex Track" - I started to laugh when I read your last line......

That may be the best and easiest way to go.....
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
It is pretty difficult to design a layout with 100% snap track. Inevitably, you will need at least small sections of flex track to fit in areas where the curves won't exactly line up. The more complicated the plan, the more likely you will need some flextrack.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Personally, I'd go with flex for all of the track, but you can also trim sectional track and turnouts, too. Use a razor saw, rail nippers, or a cut-off disc in a Dremel for the rails, and a utility knife to cut the tie strip.
In the photo below, the turnout nearest the bottom (not the one with the visible switch stand), and a corresponding one at the opposite end of the passing siding, both had their diverging rails shortened in order to force the two tracks closer together, as I had very limited space between the station and the turntable:
[album]790[/album]

Wayne
If using sectional track, all you need are two 1/3 18"r curves on each end, and that will bring the tracks into alignment. Its ok to "fudge" the track a little bit, as long as it feels smooth to your finger and there are not big gaps. If you're talking a difference in lengths, thats weird. You can probably get the atlas small piece assortment, and it will probably have what you're looking for.

While i highly reccomend flex track simply because you can garuntee it will work (no railjoiners or gaps that cause trouble can form), its good to have a couple of the small track assortments since its often easier to plug in one of these small track sections than to try and cut a custome piece from flextrak if you're getting on the smaller end of things. I've tried cutting small flextrack sections, and its a pain when it comes to installing the track.

I use a dremel tool, but some lenghts are difficult to cut because of the nature of a dremel tool (it cuts at a 90 degree angle from the handle, putting the motor tool in the way). Having some rail nippers around is a great idea to make quick cuts, and then just use the dremel to smooth out the ends.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]