!#&*%! TV shows
nomad Wrote:What is this then ? It sure looks sad and neglected.

Loren

I believe that it is another passenger car which does have a tie to Roosevelt...just not the famous car. Many people have tried to promote their cars. For instance, there were claims that a President rode the EBT's Orbisonia before it came to the line (and that was a selling point). A dozen different locomotives can claim to have pulled Lincoln's Funeral train. I'm sure the FDR rode many different passenger cars...dozens or hundreds...but the F.M. is the car he used for his two trips during WW2. The 1401 was only one of several locomotives to have pulled FDR's funeral train, yet it is the only one I can name...and certainly adds more fame than a car that didn't pull the train.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
nomad Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:I think these two might overshadow it:

Franklin Roosevelt's special car, still parked beneath the Waldorf Astoria:

[Image: Rooseveltscarwaldorf.jpg]

some views of Teddy Roosevelt's traincar:

[Image: Roosevelttrain.jpg]

[Image: Magellan.jpg]

What is this then ? It sure looks sad and neglected.

Loren

It is the heavily armored auto-carrying railroad car that was used to move FDR to the location of the underground auto elevator directly beneath the Waldorf Astoria. He was driven off this car in the vehicle, which then entered the elevator and exited in the lower level of the Waldorf, from whence he was taken directly up to his room. This elaborate means of transport enabled him to avoid being seen as a cripple by the American people.
Thanks MountainMan.
I did some digging and found this neat video about it.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/05/matt_lauer_shows_us_fdrs_secre.html">http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/05/ma ... secre.html</a><!-- m -->

Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
Neat little bit of railroad history.
Makes you wonder though, How much more stuff, was squireled away under the streets of any city, and forgotten.

Of course, there's always that"Where'd we put that?" moment.
Thanks for posting that Loren.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Tom Wrote:Make her a deal: You'll do the landscaping but only with a G Scale garden railroad. Show her some garden railroad websites and hopefully she'll get on that kick too.

Then you might end up enjoying that landscaping!
This is exactly the deal my wife and I made. We have put up a lawn shed and have received notice that the decorative plants have been shipped. Once those are established, we will begin laying track for the backyard and southern.

Now back to the hijack topic.

Tom

Oh, and did I mention the patio expansion? 35
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Neat little bit of railroad history.
Makes you wonder though, How much more stuff, was squireled away under the streets of any city, and forgotten.

Of course, there's always that"Where'd we put that?" moment.
Thanks for posting that Loren.

Thanks to MountainMan for the first photo. It's one of those that makes you curious to find out what it is.

Loren
FiatFan Wrote:
Tom Wrote:Make her a deal: You'll do the landscaping but only with a G Scale garden railroad. Show her some garden railroad websites and hopefully she'll get on that kick too.

Then you might end up enjoying that landscaping!
This is exactly the deal my wife and I made. We have put up a lawn shed and have received notice that the decorative plants have been shipped. Once those are established, we will begin laying track for the backyard and southern.

Now back to the hijack topic.

Tom

Oh, and did I mention the patio expansion? 35

That would be great ! Of course you know we want pictures now. Lots and lots of pictures. Goldth

Loren
What sort of railway will it be? G/F/0.5"/#1/1:29 or something less conventional (e.g. 29n2)?

The best garden activity definitely garden railwaying!
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
nomad Wrote:Has your wife or better half been watching those home improvement/landscaping shows? If they have, your in trouble!
My wife has been watching them all winter and walking around looking at the house and yard. Yesterday we went and bought two rolls of weed blocker, three five gallon buckets of red lava rock and four buckets of crushed rock ( we don't have a truck so this is in the trunk of her little Kia ). Next she wants to get some landscaping timbers. I can see what this summer is going to be like allready and I think this is only the beginning!
!#&*%! TV shows. Wallbang

Loren

Loren,When married I escape such "honey do" things by getting a job on the C&O under the Chessie banner..I was working 7 days a week and never knew when I would be called so,when home I had to sleep and rest.

Now after 17 years of bachelorhood there is no way I will remarry and become a slave to a "honey do" list.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin I see a subscription to Garden Railways in your future!!! Icon_lol
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???