Building a Module; CAT Equipment Rental Building
After assembling a small section from my old old layout (layout i had before i started the shelf layout). This will allow me a 30"x6' workbench space to work on the M&ET modules. it also gave me a chance to bring down the CAT Rental Module and do some more work on it.

Upon bringing it down from way up high on the wall, i soon saw just how bad the module had gotten. It was COVERED in dust A very HEAVY and THICK layer of dust coated the entire module I need to build a cover type system to cover modules while there being stored on the wall so this doesn't happen anymore

I vacuumed the entire module off so now its better and no more dust, well I'm sure there is still dust caked in the scenery, but its a heck of a lot better then it was, and a little dust adds character to the scene and adds a touch more realism i think

ive also noticed that the CAT yard and the top of the CAT building have crumbled and lots of cracks appeared in the ballast. NOT a good sign. i will have to fix these. Shouldn't be to hard to fix I'm hoping lol

Things to do on the layout:

* Fix the cracks in the CAT yard and CAT building roof
* Touch up the paint and touch up the roads with some Smooth-It
* Take up the lines on the road and pant my own (adhesive backing on the lines is coming up....)
* Make the concrete slabs for the Great West Pre-Stress Yard and Building
* Finish the rest of the guard rails running the length of the module
* Do a Construction Scene on the bridge. The bridge is going to get widened
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
So i decided to start with a little Bridge Construction

This is about all i can do for this part for now lol. I need to get some more supplies to finish the scene. Need to get some more I-beams, a big crane and some other scale wood to make some forms and such to pour the concrete bridge abutments

I removed the foliage and some of the big rocks and such in the path of the bridge extension. I also dug out a trench on the right side where the form for the extended bridge abutment will go. Still have to dig the trench for the left bridge abutment

Here is some pics:

[Image: SL371879.jpg]

[Image: SL371880.jpg]

[Image: SL371883.jpg]

[Image: SL371884.jpg]

[Image: SL371885.jpg]

[Image: SL371886.jpg]

[Image: SL371887.jpg]

[Image: SL371888.jpg]

[Image: SL371891.jpg]

[Image: SL371892.jpg]

[Image: SL371893.jpg]

[Image: SL371896.jpg]

[Image: SL371900.jpg]

[Image: SL371901.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
I finished digging out the paths for the forums will go when i get the materials. I also need to work on widening the road on either side of the bridge, this means taking some tress out on the left of the bridge. Don't mind the white foam showing lol, you wont be able to see it when I'm done, the area where the white is on either side of the bridge will be covered in new "concrete" and forms for the new bridge abutments

here are some pics i snapped off today, the first couple show the new wholes and the last couple was just messing around with the camera trying to get a good close-up shots lol

[Image: SL371902.jpg]

[Image: SL371903.jpg]

[Image: SL371904.jpg]

[Image: SL371905.jpg]

[Image: SL371906.jpg]

[Image: SL371907.jpg]

[Image: SL371909.jpg]

[Image: SL371910.jpg]

[Image: SL371985.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
See next post
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
This is the crane i will be getting for the bridge construction scene, hopefully i get it for Christmas LOL

[Image: PH06390_L.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
list of things still to be done on the module

*Fix the CAT Equipment Yard cracks
*Fix the striping in some areas of the roads and find a sealer that will seal them in place
*Fix the cracks and potholes in the roads
*Get the crane in the last post lol
*Get scale lumber and scale plywood to make some wood forms for the concrete bridge abutment
*Get another bridge for the bridge expansion
*Finish the guard rails

Thats it for now, updates to come soon!! 2285_
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Looks great! Thumbsup Some of your trucks look so good that I forget that they aren't real.
I can't tell, is there track on that module?
I see you found a quick and easy way to get your post count up! Icon_lol
Scott
Jesso Wrote:Looks great! Thumbsup Some of your trucks look so good that I forget that they aren't real.
I can't tell, is there track on that module?
I see you found a quick and easy way to get your post count up! Icon_lol

Thanks Scott!! Misngth There are no tracks on this module, i wanted to have one in there, but i just couldnt fit on in there :o :oops: lol There will be some tracks that i will be posting in my next thread, my photo diorama module

Work still goes on for this module as well 2285_
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Wow, Josh! You give new meaning to the term "prolific modeller"! Eek And very nicely done, to boot. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
Trucklover Wrote:This is the crane i will be getting for the bridge construction scene, hopefully i get it for Christmas LOL

I have that crane! Same color too! Its very nice. The ONLY thing I dont like about it is the out riggers do not touch the ground and are not adjustable. They are in the up postion. You can deal with it by placing lumber under it like they do in real life but its not the same that it doesnt adjust. Sad
doctorwayne Wrote:Wow, Josh! You give new meaning to the term "prolific modeller"! Eek And very nicely done, to boot. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne

Wayne my friend, hearing those words coming from you, really means alot to me. Thank-you for the very kind compliments 2285_ 2285_ :mrgreen: Ive learned from the best, and by the best, i mean everyone who has been a part of the gauge over the past years Worship
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
COMBAT Wrote:I have that crane! Same color too! Its very nice. The ONLY thing I dont like about it is the out riggers do not touch the ground and are not adjustable. They are in the up postion. You can deal with it by placing lumber under it like they do in real life but its not the same that it doesnt adjust. Sad

Thanks Daniel, im looking forward to getting this crane, i just hope they still have one in stock, really id like to get 3 or 4 of these things, but just dont have the money to do so right now Wallbang

I dont mind about the outriggers either, i had planned to stack some BIG lumber like 6x6's under them anyhow :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Wow Josh this is a real work of art, I'm not one for scratch building or the more modern era but you made the scratch build look straight forward ( notice I didn't say easy ) and your trucks and equipment look great. Your scenery came out real nice only thing I could suggest is a bit of burnt grass fine to settle down the green a bit, otherwise water and everything else looks great.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
wgrider Wrote:Wow Josh this is a real work of art, I'm not one for scratch building or the more modern era but you made the scratch build look straight forward ( notice I didn't say easy ) and your trucks and equipment look great. Your scenery came out real nice only thing I could suggest is a bit of burnt grass fine to settle down the green a bit, otherwise water and everything else looks great.

Lynn, thank-you very much for the comments Goldth

I usually just build things to how i want them to look to suit my needs hehehe 2285_

Thanks for the suggestion on adding some "burnt grass" in there, that is the last thing i was planning to do one of these days lol. I have some green and brown WS grass that i need to plant in there one of these days Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
The crane has been ordered, i got one of each of these:

[Image: PH06389_L.jpg]

They should be here sometime next week Goldth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains