Herc Driver's New Layout Under Construction
Scubadude: I'll consider it "stolen" for a good and worthy cause.

Gary and Tetters: Thanks for the comments. I really wondered if I should post any pictures at all, as all I can see is the work left undone. You're right that there's a lot of railroad jammed into a small space...partly to please me and partly to please my two boys. I like long runs, which explains the long mainlines for continuous running. My boys like switching and spotting cars at the various industries. With them running on two hand-held throttles and me using the main power pack, we all get to do what we want without getting in each other's way too often. Plus, the constraints of the room really dictated the overall layout shape and function. Tucking a layout on five shelving units, that you can't cut into, and surrounded by three walls and a low ceiling meant a lot of design considerations. Overall...we like the way it looks and runs. I just have to spend some "quality time" adding the needed scenery.

More to come...
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Looks like a lot of fun with a lot of action! I like the town of Pineville. Its neatly laid out. Thumbsup
Ralph
Herc Driver Wrote:You're right that there's a lot of railroad jammed into a small space...partly to please me and partly to please my two boys. I like long runs, which explains the long mainlines for continuous running. My boys like switching and spotting cars at the various industries. With them running on two hand-held throttles and me using the main power pack, we all get to do what we want without getting in each other's way too often. Plus, the constraints of the room really dictated the overall layout shape and function.

Don't get me wrong... it is a great layout, and I wouldn't say it is "jammed" in, i didn't get that feeling at all. You did a wonderful job on it, and it looks to be a fun layout, especially when you and the kids are running trains.

Thumbsup
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Oh not too worry...I didn't take that "wrong"...not at all. Big Grin I'm the first to admit that I'm not that great at designing a layout. This is my second layout construction, and in some ways, I see I've made the same mistakes I made on the first one. I would have loved more changes to the topography, but with the ceiling looming overhead on an angle, there's only so much you can do to change the lay of the land while still being able to get your hand to an area to fix a derailment or add scenery. And, like always, I laid too much track. 35 I wanted as many places to park cars for the boys as possible...and maybe I over did it by a track or two. Ah well...it's a learning process. 357
Mark

--and--
Herc Driver, thanks for the update.
Just remember, when the layout is "done" you will be too. Goldth
It's the work of a lifetime.
Charlie
Good-looking layout, Herc, and I especially like the way that you've layed out the streets on-the-bias in Pineville - a very effective use of space and very scenic, too. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Charlie's comment is right-on, too - enjoy the ride. Wink Goldth

Wayne
Herc Driver Wrote:I really wondered if I should post any pictures at all, as all I can see is the work left undone.

Icon_lol

I read that comment and realized, most of us probably wouldn't post anything at all if we went by that rule! Big Grin
Sometimes, seeing from where you started is as much of a learning tool as seeing the point at which you finally arrived. Wink Goldth

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Sometimes, seeing from where you started is as much of a learning tool as seeing the point at which you finally arrived. Wink Goldth

Wayne
Very well put Wayne. I have been working like a demon to get some trains running. I have really missed running trains these past years, but I have lots of pictures, So Herc, remember to take pictures often so you can see the progress. I realize film is expensive Misngth Misngth , and the processing is a pain 357 , but bite the bullet and take the pictures.
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:Very well put Wayne. I have been working like a demon to get some trains running. I have really missed running trains these past years, but I have lots of pictures, So Herc, remember to take pictures often so you can see the progress. I realize film is expensive Misngth Misngth , and the processing is a pain 357 , but bite the bullet and take the pictures.
Charlie

The price of film is what prompted me to switch over to digital. Went to a Route 66 Rendezvous in San Bernardino and took 6 or 8 35mm rolls of pics of hot rods. The film didn't cost much, but the cost of processing that much film was enough to pay for my first digital camera!
Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

You guys are right. This is a process that isn't quite ever done...just a work in progress. I'm really happy to just run a train on some days, for nothing more than the satisfaction that it doesn't derail as it makes its way around the long loop. I sincerely appreciate the comments guys. And I'm always looking for more so I can improve what progress I've made. It is shocking for me to see the transformation over time of this layout. How it has changed and developed, and turned into something just a bit different than I planned.

The town of Pineville is a real place about seven or so miles from me. The entire "downtown" area is quite small and looks like DPM and Atlas were the architects. Grab a few houses from Atlas, a few of the town buildings of DPM and you've recreated Pineville very accurately. I just need the old fashioned street lights and a few stop lights, big trees, people and very few parking lots to complete that town scene.

I'll try to make some more progress and post a few more shots from around the layout with more shots that are closer than these last few.

Thanks guys for the encouragement! Thumbsup
Mark

--and--
Herc....If you drive a Herc like you build a layout...Your crew is in good hands... Goldth

That is one good looking layout... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Very kind to say Steamtrains - thanks.

(Fortunately for all concerned...I fly better than I can build. Getting the job done in 1:1 scale is much easier than 1:160. Big Grin Now for someone who can do both...you need to be looking for the right honorable Barney Secord...now there's a guy who can snap some pictures and fly.

Here's a kit bashed GP30 high hood pulling into the sanding/fueling area.

[Image: P7290139.jpg]

Challenger rolling past the Ballantyne Amtrak Station on the edge of Pineville.
[Image: P8260160.jpg]

Getting watered
[Image: P8260161.jpg]

Closer view of the station
[Image: P8270194.jpg]
Mark

--and--
HERC... Your bashed GP30 and that new Challenger really look good, and Pineville is really growing. Good work and good pictures!
Bob/Iron Goat
Thumbsup
[
A few pictures of the Double D's at work...

[Image: P9160207.jpg]

[Image: P9160216.jpg]
Mark

--and--