Bob_suruncle builds a layout
Subject sounds like a Dr Seuss book! 357

Squidbait and I have had an ongoing bet about who would actually build a layout first.... well the other day I saw him leave the store with some cork roadbed so I started sweating! Started benchwork this weekend and have L-girders on legs along the long wall as shown in the layout plan below.

I will do my best to try and keep this thread updated on my progress.... pics of the benchwork coming as Squidbait will never believe without pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

I like the design. Nice use of the room's dimensions. When does construction start?
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Cheers with Herc, i like the plan Misngth

Im looking forward to watching both your layouts progress Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Well, I've already built my benchwork, laid the cork and ties and ballast - so there! 24 Tongue

Let's see those pics! Big Grin
Hey there Bob! Great design!

Any chance you can shift the 'main' off the street? Or did you intend it that way? That'd be a troublesome spot, probably send the conductor down with a flag to keep from running head on into some poor VW when coming around the side of that warehouse/industry. If you could shift it closer to run exactly parallel to the street and reduce the size of that industry it might be possible. I'm also guessing you're headed up a grade there, so running along a nice retaining wall (concrete or stone to support the road?) might be nice.

OR, just shift the back track toward the wall and bend the street.

OR run the back track down the middle of the street! Eek

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Good for you! Not to throw another wrench into the works...is there any chance you could switch the door's opening around so it swings away from the layout's edge? Or any chance you could make a bridge across the doorway, through the closet, across the work bench and to the other side? Hey - don't get me wrong - that probably isn't even in your design frame and not where you want to go with this...and I'm probably just projecting what I wish I could do with my layout...but you've got a great design that could potentially loop the room.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
I did something similar to what HercDriver suggests in my previous layout...I curved the track towards the closet, did a "duckunder" across the door, and looped the track into the closet, where I set up the "El Diablo" mine, then looped out to connect along the left wall with the rest of the layout. Added a whole new operating dimension to what was essentially a "chase-the-caboose" (4x8) layout....

The mine now resides in my new layout.....

Attached Files Image(s)

Gus (LC&P).
Well? How're you coming along? 2285_

My track's laid, weathered and ballasted.... the train's rolling! Now I've just got to get the scenery started! 790_smiley_picking_a_fight
HA! benchwork 2285_

Attached Files Image(s)

ocalicreek Wrote:Hey there Bob! Great design!

Any chance you can shift the 'main' off the street? Or did you intend it that way? That'd be a troublesome spot, probably send the conductor down with a flag to keep from running head on into some poor VW when coming around the side of that warehouse/industry. If you could shift it closer to run exactly parallel to the street and reduce the size of that industry it might be possible. I'm also guessing you're headed up a grade there, so running along a nice retaining wall (concrete or stone to support the road?) might be nice.

OR, just shift the back track toward the wall and bend the street.

OR run the back track down the middle of the street! Eek

Galen

street running was on purpose.
Herc Driver Wrote:Good for you! Not to throw another wrench into the works...is there any chance you could switch the door's opening around so it swings away from the layout's edge? Or any chance you could make a bridge across the doorway, through the closet, across the work bench and to the other side? Hey - don't get me wrong - that probably isn't even in your design frame and not where you want to go with this...and I'm probably just projecting what I wish I could do with my layout...but you've got a great design that could potentially loop the room.

no room loops. this is actually somewhat temporary until my space comes available for the big layout when my kid moves out.
Squidbait Wrote:Well? How're you coming along? 2285_

My track's laid, weathered and ballasted.... the train's rolling! Now I've just got to get the scenery started! 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

and your thesis finished if your layout is as big as I think it is....... so where are your pictures? 790_smiley_picking_a_fight
Hey! Aren't those my old L-girders? Eek
your old L Girders??? you mean the ones that have been in the top of my garage for a few years? Possession is 9/10 of the law Icon_lol

Hmmmm now about that mountain bike in my shed 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

So more pics of benchwork to prove I havent been resting on my Laurels or her sister Gertrude either.

Note: all other lumber was bought and paid for by yours truly so Tongue

Attached Files Image(s)

Man. I do NOT miss that room at all. Too small. Ill gladly occupy the big space in the basement for another year.

Squid. Your layout doesnt count. It has to be more than the pic below

[Image: EdwinRunningFinishedLayout-SpritiNgAway-Apr07.jpg]

WHICH.. According to Bob.. It about what it is. Smile

All it needs is a Christmas tree Icon_lol

Mind you.. That lil layout thats in the pic. The track is actally submerged in water. I would allow that one