Poll: Is this a layout?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
80.00%
20 80.00%
No
20.00%
5 20.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Is this a layout?
So, if you're following along in here, you'll see Bob Suruncle's started building a layout. We've had a running bet for the last five years or so that the first one to finish a complete layout wins a bottle of something tasty.

Well, when I saw Bob actually getting serious about building, my weasel gene kicked in and got me thinking.... what exactly is a "layout"?

So, for your consideration I present the Weasel Flats Sand and Gravel Co. R.R.

Scale: On30
Size: 14" x 14"
Track: Code 70 Handlaid
Minimum radius: 6"
Control: Standard DC.
Operation: Continuous Run

First, the benchwork:
[Image: base.jpg]

I glued the Mt. Albert O scale pine ties to the cork roadbed:
[Image: glueties.jpg]

Once the ties were down, I stained them with washes of artist's acrylic thinned with rubbing alcohol. I used mixes of Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber and black to get the colours I wanted, and applied several coats to different ties to get a mixed effect.
[Image: stainties.jpg]

And the final result:
[Image: stainedties.jpg]

After sanding the ties level and touching up the stain, I ballasted with Woodland Scenics medium brown:
[Image: ballasted.jpg]

Then I spiked code 70 rail down, starting with the inner rail, then using 3-point gauges to hold the outer rail while I spiked it down. 2 spikes per rail in every tie make sure it's not going anywhere. I soldered a joiner to one end of each rail, and left a small gap to allow for expansion:
[Image: rails.jpg]

I weathered the rail by brushing on artist's acrylics. I just mixed until I got a rusty-looking brown I liked. I'll probably go back and tone it down with some black washes:
[Image: rusted.jpg]

And here's the Weasel Flats Sand and Gravel Co.s roster:
[Image: wfsg.jpg]

I'm currently mulling how I'm going to detail the layout... I'm thinking a small loader of some sort on one side, and a truck on the other... although 1:48 vehicles aren't as easy to find as 1:87. I'm thinking a Ford Model A with a dump body, and maybe a front-end loader of some sort, or maybe a conveyor.... piles of sand and gravel here and there..... and maybe a victory bottle if I get it done before Bob! Icon_twisted
bob, im sorry to say, in my opinion this counts as a layout Misngth Squid has got you beat and found a loophole in your bet LOL

BTW Squid, looking good, i like how you handlaid the track, shows you actually put some effort into the tiny layout Thumbsup Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
I found the difference out a couple of years ago...

If it runs it is a layout, if it is static it is a diorama.
Will Annand
CVR in N Scale
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html">www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html</a><!-- w -->
Werks fer me!

I like Patron...
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]
Okay so although I agree that this is.... loosely... a layout (or more accurately a fancy train set) My ambitions are much larger than that. SOOOOoooooo as noted previously given that you have been almost done your frog stretching thesis for 15 years now? considering how "close" you are to completion on both the thesis and the "layout.... and considering that my layout will be significantly larger and more ambitious... to make this fair, I would say I would gladly honor the bet IF you complete the thesis as well.

what say you? 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

I have even added my vote to your pole noting this is a layout just to make you feel better.... although I am thinking you should put a Christmas tree in the middle of your "layout" and maybe see if you can get one of them there animated cars with the Santa popping in and out of the Chimney... Icon_lol

Weasel Flats... isn't that a subsidiary of Zo line?
Will_Annand Wrote:I found the difference out a couple of years ago...

If it runs it is a layout, if it is static it is a diorama.

So, the difference is a pair of wires and a power pack? I see differently - that if animation is simply a one-option task, then it is an "animated diorama" Goldth In my opinion, it has to have at least one switch or secondary track capable of operation in order to be a "layout" 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

That said, it looks cool though Thumbsup and I am curious how you will handle the rest of the scenery.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Maybe this should be a separate poll, but, how many of you have heard this question before?

"Is a layout truly ever finished"?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
I think it is a layout. I consider my Disk railways as layouts - and as this is practically the same type of railway as those, then it must be a layout.
Tom (TC) - Creator of Extremely Miniature Layouts on Disks! See Them All, and More on My Website. Latest Update: Jan '10.
[Image: 200549bd0989263ef.png]
A piece of plywood...Cork on the plywood.....Ties on the cork.....rails on the ties....Train on the rails.
Yep...Its a layout.
Nice work also.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
nachoman Wrote:So, the difference is a pair of wires and a power pack? I see differently - that if animation is simply a one-option task, then it is an "animated diorama" Goldth In my opinion, it has to have at least one switch or secondary track capable of operation in order to be a "layout" 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

That said, it looks cool though Thumbsup and I am curious how you will handle the rest of the scenery.

Cheers Oh I do like your opinion nachoman..... Ya know... I am starting to think he needs a turnout, an animated Santa, Christmas tree AND A FINISHED THESIS for this to qualify.... if he wasn't so darn busy watching old episodes of UFO (70's Cheese at its finest <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://ufoseries.com/">http://ufoseries.com/</a><!-- m -->) he would have had his thesis done already Icon_lol
Is it a layout? Possibly. Is it in the spirit of any sort of wager regarding building a finished layout? No way! I think the fact that you attribute it to a "weasel gene," makes it plain that you don't really think it qualifies either. Either get to building and make it a real contest, or pay up.
SOOOOOO????????? where are all the progress updates and pictures? I was busy all weekend and still found time to get more done on my SIGNIFICANTLY larger layout Icon_lol 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

EDIT:

Actually I am wondering if we should flesh this whole bet out so that we have clear parameters as to what constitutes a "win"

basic trains running?
Fully operational track plan?
full scenery?
structures?

Given that Squid's weasel flats is SIGNIFICANTLY easier to complete than my layout...... should there be some consideration for that?.... or does the Weasel win the day Eek

I would propose the following:

Squid's parameters:
Fully operation with scenery and structures
Completed Thesis (as he really has no time to mess with trains until his thesis is complete... and according to him its only a couple weeks away from being complete)

Bob's parameters:
Fully operational layout
hard shell and ballast in place.

Considering I have a couple of months worth of work to meet my parameters and that Squid should he choose to stop procrastinating could be done his thesis and his "layout" in a couple of weeks... I think this would be more than fair. Thumbsup
Progress? I thought I'd give you a chance to catch up a bit... you know, add some actual track and stuff to your collection of sticks. Tongue

Besides, I'm drawing up plans for the major scenic element that will tie the whole thing together. Wink
Squidbait Wrote:Progress? I thought I'd give you a chance to catch up a bit... you know, add some actual track and stuff to your collection of sticks. Tongue

Besides, I'm drawing up plans for the major scenic element that will tie the whole thing together. Wink

Drawing up plans for the Christmas tree??? Icon_lol

I have a good portion of the lower level track installed and should be able to put power to the rails this evening and actually run something....

then its on to the top deck.

Mr. Gibson and I will toast my success once the first train runs and then I will drink a toast to each spike and rail joiner I install as well Cheers

Yes I know the shop is a bit of a mess but in my defense I am reasonably certain its neater than yours 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

Attached Files Image(s)

What no updates from the might Squid? could it be that something shiny has drawn his attention elsewhere 790_smiley_picking_a_fight Icon_lol