3 years today 11-29-2001 - 07-01-2006
:cry: Where has the time gone? it has been 3 years today when my boy went to be with the lord. as most of the older members here remember my son. i cant see 3 years form that day. his locos will make his run today as his video plays and when video is done his locos will retire to his spot on the shelf . this 4-8-4 big boy and the set of gp 38 -2 only see the rails once a year. they are the only locos that go to keegen's pass on the layout nothing else heads that way. it sits their waiting for these locos. this will be the last run to keegen's pass as i am going to remove it after this run this eve. and turn it to a new yard. that may be one thing keeping me from finshing .

well guys i thought i would share this with the older guys here that where their with me here is something that i have been reading the past 3 years.

here is the poem i had wrote to help with caring for my boy keegen this was also read by me at his service. :cry:

I AM THE CHILD

I am the child who cannot talk.
You often pity me, I see it in your eyes.
You wonder how much I am aware of -- I see that as well.
I am aware of much, whether you are happy or sad or fearful,
patient or impatient, full of love and desire,
or if you are just doing your duty by me.
I marvel at your frustration, knowing mine to be far greater,
for I cannot express myself or my needs as you do.

You cannot conceive my isolation, so complete it is at times.
I do not gift you with clever conversation, cute remarks to be laughed over and repeated.
I do not give you answers to your everyday questions,
responses over my well-being, sharing my needs,
or comments about the world about me.

I do not give you rewards as defined by the world's standards -- great strides in
development that you can credit yourself;
I do not give you understanding as you know it.
What I give you is so much more valuable -- I give you instead opportunities.
Opportunities to discover the depth of your character, not mine;
the depth of your love, your commitment, your patience, your abilities;
the opportunity to explore your spirit more deeply than you imagined possible.
I drive you further than you would ever go on your own, working harder,
seeking answers to your many questions with no answers.
I am the child who cannot talk.

I am the child who cannot walk.
The world seems to pass me by.
You see the longing in my eyes to get out of this chair, to run and play like other children.
There is much you take for granted.
I want the toys on the shelf, I need to go to the bathroom, oh I've dropped my fork again.
I am dependent on you in these ways.
My gift to you is to make you more aware of your great fortune,
your healthy back and legs, your ability to do for yourself.
Sometimes people appear not to notice me; I always notice them.
I feel not so much envy as desire, desire to stand upright,
to put one foot in front of the other, to be independent.
I give you awareness.
I am the child who cannot walk.

I am the child who is mentally impaired.
I don't learn easily, if you judge me by the world's measuring stick,
what I do know is infinite joy in simple things.
I am not burdened as you are with the strife's and conflicts of a more complicated life.
My gift to you is to grant you the freedom to enjoy things as a child,
to teach you how much your arms around me mean, to give you love.
I give you the gift of simplicity.
I am the child who is mentally impaired.
I am the disabled child.
I am your teacher. If you allow me,
I will teach you what is really important in life.
I will give you and teach you unconditional love.
I gift you with my innocent trust, my dependency upon you.
I teach you about how precious this life is and about not taking things for granted.
I teach you about forgetting your own needs and desires and dreams.
I teach you giving.
Most of all I teach you hope and faith.
I am the disabled child.
What heartbreaking but wonderful poem. His short life has impacted so many others in such a deep way. God bless you both.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Geez Scoob it has been that long Eek Yet as i and many here have thought about him and you guys and still prey for you. May i make a sugestion....... as i dont recall seeing keegen's pass on the layout. Maybe if you have enuff room take a portion of the pass out and make it as part of shelf for his locos ???
Harry Check out my blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/">http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
I just got done putting all the "dates to be remembered" on the calender, and today, seven years ago, my Father passed.
The poem is beautiful.
Today I will remember your son, in prayer.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Beautiful poem... A great tribute..

I too, would not have guessed it's been 3 years. Our prayers are with you....
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Wow Scooby, hard to believe it has been three years. I have often wondered what became of you, it is nice to hear from you. You have written an incredibly moving poem! I hope all is well for your family.

Regards, Gary
Yes, it's hard to believe that it's been three years already. We all went through your trials and tribulations and felt your sorrow and your heartbreak as you went along. That's a fine tribute, and you can be sure that those of us who were there, we won't forget, which we hope will add to you and your family's comfort, even if just a little bit.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Has it been that long? Grace and peace to you and yours this day, BC
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Scooby, I also echo the thoughts of others as you remember that precious little one who seemed to live in front of all of us at the Gauge. Hard to believe it has been three years already. I would also suggest that if you take down "Keegan's Pass" don't destroy it. It has been a part of a memorial to Keegan, and should be saved if possible. I have seen dioramas mounted on walls at train shows as sort of 3 dimensional art. It would seem at least a part of the pass should be made into a diorama if possible to mount on the wall as perhaps the place to display Keegan's locomotives. I would also offer a reminder that you need to be careful in your grief over Keegan that you don't neglect your other boy that God gave you even as He took Keegan "home."
I would like to "jump right in" with some comforting thoughts of my own, but it is too difficult to see what I'm typing, through the tears. God Bless.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Scooby...I too shared and was terribly moved by your loss 3 years ago. They say time heals all wounds...I don't believe whoever said it had ever lost a child. We all support you and keep you and your son in our thoughts and prayers. God bless you and your family.
Gus (LC&P).