NW 58th St., Miami
Galen, you have a good eye. I did not notice pvc weld goop residue on that pipe. I have some of these pipes on one of my Warehouses. I will think of it when I weather that warehouse. Thanks for your kind comment my pic.

Russ, thank you for that hint.

So, as announced earlier, here is some more trash. I try to give some spots a more heavy treatment and not to spread garbage evenly on the layout ... more to come ...

[Image: m125.jpg]

[Image: m126.jpg]
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:... more to come ...

Kurt, be carefully. Your layout is very close to become so realistic US immigration will ask for a green card and social security number to operate it...
Reinhard
Worship

Now THAT is the kind of detail I want in my industrial areas. Keep up the great work and keep posting photos, Kurt!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Ahh! Herr Kurt!

Just one incredible wealth of detail ... I've just now spent more than the last several minutes staring at all the wonderful details in that first photo at the top of the page!

Beautiful! Worship Worship :mrgreen:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Okay, seriously Kurt, my jaw just hit my laptop keyboard when i saw those 2 pictures above! That is by far, the most beautiful trash I have ever seen! Misngth Thumbsup Im speechless right now, and I cant wait to see some more pictures!!
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
What a load of rubbish!
Icon_lol

Keep up the great work Kurt!
cnw1961 Wrote:Galen, you have a good eye. I did not notice pvc weld goop residue on that pipe. I have some of these pipes on one of my Warehouses. I will think of it when I weather that warehouse. Thanks for your kind comment my pic.

Russ, thank you for that hint.

So, as announced earlier, here is some more trash. I try to give some spots a more heavy treatment and not to spread garbage evenly on the layout ... more to come ...

[Image: m125.jpg]

[Image: m126.jpg]

Kurt,

The additional trash looks great. You have really matched the photos for a realistic scene. A couple of questions come to mind:

What are you using for your soil base color?
Also, are you using a light ballast for your ground cover?

I am presently considering a light gray for the base soil color mixed with "Mudstone"from Ceramic Coat, a brown gray color that Lance Mindheim suggested. This color is available from Michael's Craft Stores. I will be using light gray/white N scale ballast stone from Arizona Rockand Mineral for the tracks as well as the general base cover over the paint. The soils in the Miami-Dade area are a dirty white-gray in color due to the high marl content.

Larry
Thank you guys, for so kindly responding to all this trash. Let’s face it, we are all pretty weird! Goldth Me, because I enjoy putting all this garbage on my layout and you, because you are so delighted to see all the trash ... Goldth Big Grin Wink

Larry, my ground cover is very fine white sand (the stuff you’d put into a hour glass) that I mix with a bit of coarser, lightly darker sand. I add gray tile grout to achive that dirty white-gray color you mentioned. Unfortunately, that gray color does not show as well in the pics as it does in person.
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:Larry, my ground cover is very fine white sand (the stuff you’d put into a hour glass) that I mix with a bit of coarser, lightly darker sand. I add gray tile grout to achive that dirty white-gray color you mentioned. Unfortunately, that gray color does not show as well in the pics as it does in person.

I found a small jug of "decorator's sand" or something like that at the dollar store, Is that the same type of white sand you are talking about? cause if it is, I could do most of the basic scenery on my layout for about $3 Misngth
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Kurt, quick question for you. The Grass that your using, I am ready to buy some. Did you say you were using Scenic Express/Mini-Nature Grass Tufts? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MN72721">http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodinfo. ... er=MN72721</a><!-- m -->

Its a bummer I cant order these through Walthers (they dont stock Mini-Nature Products), but ill suck it up and order them from Scenic Express and pay retail for once i guess, they really look like they will add tons of detail, and if mine look half as good as yours, ill be good! LOL
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Josh, I don’t use Scenic Express/Mini-Nature Grass Tufts on my layout, I am using Heki wild grass instead. See Steve’s tutorial: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2824&p=46590&hilit=heki#p46446">viewtopic.php?f=44&t=2824&p=46590&hilit=heki#p46446</a><!-- l -->. Steve was not very happy with the online store he ordered it from, because it took very long, but it is available at Scenic Express now. Search their store for "Heki wildgrass". Like Steve I am using grasses #1840, 1841 & 1861. I saw all the Heki grasses at my LHS in person, but I thought these three looked the most realistic. Taking the size of the grass sheets into account, it is a bit cheaper than the Scenic Express/Mini-Nature Grass tufts. On my layout I used a bit more than 2 1/2 sheets so far: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169&start=285">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169&start=285</a><!-- l -->.

Justin, here is a pic that may help you to decide if the "dedorator’s sand" you found looks like mine.

[Image: m127.jpg]
Kurt
Thanks for the picture Kurt! That looks just like the sand I found at the dollar store, If the pebbles of sand are about the same size I could easily spend only about $3 or less on sand for my layout, Looks like this means another trip to the dollar store. Misngth

I have a question for you Kurt, I will be trying your technique for road on my layout, and it would help me alot if you could give me some hints on how you built your roads, They look so wonderful and I would like to try something similar on my layout.
Justin Miller
Justin, I explained the way I am doing my roads earlier on this thread. Please have a look here: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169&p=35593#p35039">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169&p=35593#p35039</a><!-- l --> and here: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169&p=35593#p35593">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169&p=35593#p35593</a><!-- l -->. If this does not answer all your questions, please feel free to ask.
Kurt
Thanks Kurt! I had read your first link, but had skipped over the comment in which you talked about the paint, and that answers almost all of my questions. I still have one quick question though and that is what type of cardboard did you use underneath the sandpaper, was is thick cardboard like that of a cardboard box, or was it thinner like the boxes of an Athearn blue-box kit?
Justin Miller
I am using 2 mm (.080") thick cardboard underneath my roads. That gives me enough elevation to allow for a good layer of ground cover around the roads. Here is a snippet from an old pic of my previous layout. It is rather bad, but the best I can find to illustrate what I am talking about.

[Image: m128.jpg]
Kurt