"One Small Step For Man"......
..One Giant Leap For Mankind."

Tomorrow is the 40th anniversary of the first landing on the moon. You youngins, under thirty years of age, probably only read about it in your history books, saw a special on the History Channel or Discovery.
Us gray hairs though, more than likley actually watched the historic event live on TV. Balck and white, with rabbit ears, or an antenna mounted on the roof.(Another history book item).

My question is, Do you remember what, where, you were when it happened?
Me...Sitting on the couch, eight years old, watching it on a black and white console tv(no remotes back then kids, we actually had to GET UP OFF OUR DUFFS to change channels(only three came in on ours)or adjust the volume!). I remember my father running around the house yelling"Now they're going to have to change the history books!".

FINAL JEOPARDY QUESTION:

Its the only one in the same series of five, that never went into space, though its namesake has been.

Good Luck Players!
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Got to be....What is the shuttle "Enterprise"?

I still have the little, 7-1/2" screen Panasonic, B&W portable TV, that I had in the barracks at NAS Brunswick, Me., where I watched the lunar landing.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Was going to summer school & lived in an apartment. And yes, the B&W TV had about a 16" screen....I was "watching "it as the spacecraft approached the moon, and finally landed. The words..."Tranquility Base here.." will be forever burned in my mind....I started jumping, yelling, & turned a couple of sumersaults, I was so excited...!!!
That evening we went to my brother-in-law's parents' house to watch the moonwalk on a "real" color TV.
That achievement will forever stand as one of the great achievements in exploration....

BTW...I believe N. Armstrong said "...small step for A man..", but the "a" was garbled by that bit of interference. His words really only make sense if you insert that "a" in there. His intent, I believe, was to downplay his role as an individual, and stressing the importance of the event for all of mankind.
Gus (LC&P).
Sumpter250 Wrote:Got to be....What is the shuttle "Enterprise"?

I still have the little, 7-1/2" screen Panasonic, B&W portable TV, that I had in the barracks at NAS Brunswick, Me., where I watched the lunar landing.
There was actually 8 enterprises in the star trek universe Goldth excluding the mirrored ones 35
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Oh yeah!!!! I was completely hooked on the moon shot as a ten year old boy with my Revell model of the LEM and the Command module! My parents were very encouraging and woke me up as requested to view TV footage of anything that might be interesting in the wee hours. Fortunately the actual landing was during the day and we were all in the living room watching with excitement. I remember my Mom exclaiming, "We ACTUALLY landed on the moon!!!!!"
Amazing times! Its funny now that most of us hardly pay attention to shuttle launches.

Ralph
You know...Kinda figured that you knew that one.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:
You know...Kinda figured that you knew that one.

Haven't their been six shuttles?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Six: Enterprise, Columbia, Challenger, Atlantis, Endeavor, and Discovery. Enterprise was more of a "mockup" and test vehicle, and not actually "used", so there were only five active shuttles/ Space Transportation Systems (hence the term "STS").
Having lived through aviation and space, from the beginning of jet aircraft, the one thing I'd like to see before I leave this life, is the first steps Human kind take on another planet. The moon was a major historical step, but another planet would be the "next major step".
"To boldly go where no man has gone before".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
tomustang Wrote:

There was actually 8 enterprises in the star trek universe Goldth excluding the mirrored ones 35
I thought there were 18 - - named after some of the US Aircraft carriers:

LANGLEY (CV 1)
LEXINGTON (CV 2)
SARATOGA (CV 3)
RANGER (CV 4)
YORKTOWN (CV 5)
ENTERPRISE (CV 6)
WASP (CV 7)
HORNET (CV 8)
ESSEX (CV 9)
YORKTOWN (CV 10)
INTREPID (CV 11)
HORNET (CV 12)
FRANKLIN (CV 13)
TICONDEROGA (CV 14)
RANDOLPH (CV 15)
LEXINGTON (CV 16)
BUNKER HILL (CV 17)
WASP (CV 18)
HANCOCK (CV 19)
BENNINGTON (CV 20)
BOXER (CV 21)
INDEPENDENCE (CVL 22)
PRINCETON (CVL 23)
BELLEAU WOOD (CVL 24)
COWPENS (CVL 25)
MONTEREY (CVL 26)
LANGLEY (CVL 27)
CABOT (CVL 28)
BATAAN (CVL 29)
SAN JACINTO (CVL 30)
BON HOMME RICHARD (CV 31)
LEYTE (CV 32)
KEARSARGE (CV 33)
ORISKANY (CV 34)
REPRISAL (CV 35)
Never Commissioned, Test Vessel
ANTIETAM (CV 36)
PRINCETON (CV 37)
SHANGRI LA (CV 38)
LAKE CHAMPLAIN (CV 39)
TARAWA (CV 40)
MIDWAY (CVB 41)
FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT (CVB 42)
CORAL SEA (CVB 43)
UNNAMED (CVB 44)
Never Laid Down
VALLEY FORGE (CV 45)
IWO JIMA (CV 46)

And the Star Trek Ships:

CONSTELLATION
CONSTITUTION
DEFIANT
EAGLE
ENDEAVOR
ENTERPRISE
ESSEX
EXCALIBUR
EXETER
FARRAGUT
HOOD
INTREPID
KONGO
LEXINGTON
POTEMKIN
REPUBLIC
VALIANT
YORKTOWN

I'm a trekkie - not a trekker!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
In answer to the question Smile Smile

I was in my living room (Only room with a TV) watching the Console (TV/Record player/Radio) it was a Huge 20" TV Screen and we watched and listened to history being made... Same TV We watched RFK's & JFK's assassinations, same TV we watched Carol Burnett and Cronkite too.. Smile Smile

The reason that not too many people watch the Shuttle launches is that the Media thinks it's routine.. That was a note of the news after The Challenger explosion, all of a sudden they started covering the "actual launch"..
I watch NASA Select TV (google it) if i'm home. I keep track of the entire day's events for every mission i can.. even saw the ISS & Shuttle fly over my house once each of the last 2 missons.... Looking forard to this Saturday - when it's do again.. Smile Only 9 missions left... Going back to the Moon in 2018....

I'm just as dissapointed when a flight is delayed.. Pity, the "News" media isn't even phased by it except for a blurb or 2... Sad Sad

Anyway - (Stepping off the soap box) It's still a very important part of my life... From Apollo 1 (R.I.P.) all the way up to Apollo 17.... and the STS and whatever the bean counters come up with next.....

By the way - Does anyone else get the simularity between the I-phone and all it's apps... and The P.A.D.D - the Personal Assistant Data Display (Clipboard of Star Trek?? ) We're getting closer to RoddenBerry's dreams every day.... Now if we could only realize his dreams of no wars, conflicts and other distractions.... Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
ngauger Wrote:By the way - Does anyone else get the simularity between the I-phone and all it's apps... and The P.A.D.D - the Personal Assistant Data Display (Clipboard of Star Trek?? ) We're getting closer to RoddenBerry's dreams every day.... Now if we could only realize his dreams of no wars, conflicts and other distractions.... Big Grin Big Grin

i used a tricorder for my last job.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
ngauger Wrote:By the way - Does anyone else get the simularity between the I-phone and all it's apps... and The P.A.D.D - the Personal Assistant Data Display (Clipboard of Star Trek?? ) We're getting closer to RoddenBerry's dreams every day.... Now if we could only realize his dreams of no wars, conflicts and other distractions.... Big Grin Big Grin

My cell phone opens up like the Original Series communicator.
And my Sony Clie reminds me more of the P.A.D.D. Even the memory stick I use reminds me of the isolinear chips used on the Next Generation series.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
Just a brief little note. Are you aware the Commodore 64 had more computing capabilities then did the Lunar Module.
Look where we are today with our PC's. We entertain, we educate and we have more information on line then all the library's in our major cities, all at our finger tips.
We actually had CATV (community antenna television) which was cables beginning. I watched it with my kids, The oldest was 6 and the baby was 2.
I saw in the news the other day where NASA had used the original tapes to tape other missions, they didn't preserve the original tapes, (or is the conspiracy theory correct?)
Charlie
And did you know that the first shuttles were equiped with 386 computers, and when NASA tried using 486's, they couldn't take the vibration of lift-off, so they switched to their back-up system: model 386. The next version of operating systems will likely be referred to as 986.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Was only a wee fella when the moon landings occurrred and went up the street to see it on a neighbours television ......... apperently i fell asleep while waiting to see the first pictures Icon_lol

First words from the moon after landing where not ''one small step for man '' but Aldrin ........... "Contact light! Okay, engine stop. ACA - out of detent."

I'd like to know from you guys what does ........... '' ACA - out of detent." mean ?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/">http://www.freewebs.com/upnick/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: up_xm40o.gif][Image: up_lo-1.gif][Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]