Back from the South...
...well, actually from the northern part of Illinois, which is still south of where I live in southern Ontario. Wink Goldth
As some of you have seen elsewhere on the Forum, I recently visited the Illinois Railway Museum, a large site with lots to see and do. If you get the chance, visit it in person - you'll surely enjoy it. However, if you want to have a really great time, see it with someone who really knows the place - I was very fortunate to hook-up with a couple of good friends who showed me around. Here's a shot of all three of us - I call it Three Amigos, but a bystander quipped that we looked more like The Three Stooges. Larry is on the left, and I'll leave it up to you to decide the identities of Moe and Curly:
[Image: PhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayMuse-9.jpg]

I saw lots of stuff new to me, including this CB&Q SD24, on which the paint was barely dry:
[Image: PhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayMuseume.jpg]

A Milwaukee Road dynamometer car:
[Image: PhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayMuse-2.jpg]

A Milwaukee Road Northern, under power (well, okay, electric power):
[Image: PhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayMuse-4.jpg]

One of my favourite steam-era heralds, in mosaic tile, no less:
[Image: PhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayMuse-3.jpg]

We rode Ceres, the diner of the Nebraska Zephyr, behind an E5 (we were all dying for a coffee, but when I looked in the galley, the chef was nowhere to be seen):
[Image: PhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayMuse-8.jpg]

I learned that Burlington Northern was unable to take advantage of Kadee's close-coupling for Stewart F-units, and had to improvise for their "Executive Fs":
[Image: PhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayMuse-6.jpg]

You'd be forgiven for thinking that I'd strayed even farther south, but this SP "Cadillac" is far from its Los Angeles base - the lovingly applied weathering gives it a real "in-service" appearance, though Icon_lol
[Image: PhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayMuse-7.jpg]

I also thought that I'd found romance, but we were unable to load this lovely lady into the trunk of my Mazda:
[Image: PhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayMuse-1.jpg]

Another shot of The Three Amigos:
[Image: CopyofPhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayM.jpg]

On the way home, I stopped at Owosso, Michigan, site of Railfest 2009 later this week. Unfortunately, the place was locked-up, with only a glimpse of PM 1225 available. I did see, though, through the fence, this restored F-unit lettered for the Cincinatti, New Orleans & Texas Pacific - Southern's famed "Rathole" Division.
[Image: PhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayMuse-10.jpg]

All-in-all, a great (if too-short) trip, made even better in the company of friends - thanks Deano and Larry! Cheers As someone once said: "I'll be back!".

Wayne
great photos! What was with those BN F units? The real story?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
so you were in Northern Illinois, and the museum was great, and we should all see it in person...h-m-m-m...seems to me you forget to mention where in Illinois. Goldth
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Those are great pics of some marvelous trains...!! Good to see our friend Deano also in the pic.... Thumbsup
Gotta get up that way one of these days.....
Gus (LC&P).
nachoman Wrote:great photos! What was with those BN F units? The real story?

Sorry, Kevin, I'm not familiar with the story behind that arrangement, but I found it very eye-catching.

The third unit in the consist, by the way, was an E9A - I thought that I had a picture, but I guess not. 35 I do like the paint scheme, though: in my opinion, one of the classier ones around, and in the style of some of the original F-unit paint jobs, if not the colours. Thumbsup
[Image: PhotosfromtheIllinoisRailwayMuse-12.jpg]

Sorry, Carl. 35 I should have guessed that you'd probably zip right up there - come to think of it, I should have been surprised that I didn't see you when I was there. Icon_lol
Here's a link to the Illinois Railway Museum site. This past weekend was "Diesel Days", with vintage diesels in operation, but there are other events scheduled.

Wayne
Steamtrains Wrote:Those are great pics of some marvelous trains...!! Good to see our friend Deano also in the pic.... Thumbsup
Gotta get up that way one of these days.....

Thanks Gus! Thumbsup

Cripes Wayne, there are two pics you posted that contains a real motley looking crew in it :mrgreen:

Honestly, i felt bad for Wayne, in the last nine years we have went this was the absolute WORST diesel days there was...the Best thing about it was seeing Wayne Worship , Honestly one of the nicest people you could ever possibly meet.

Here's one of my personal favorites we seen at the IRM, it wasnt there for the show though, this engine has been working around UP's Belvedere sub, and when not in use they store it at the IRM to keep vandals from putting graffiti on it.

[Image: 1995.jpg]
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Welcome back, my friend. Welcome

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Welcome back, my friend. Welcome

Wayne

Thank you, Wayne Worship , Glad to be back! :mrgreen:
DEANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back ol'buddy Welcome Welcome Welcome

I too made a trip to IRM this summer. It was more of a pass through, and I didn't get to see some of the fine units you got. They must have been in the shop Cheers
Jim

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi">http://dieseldetailer.proboards53.com/index.cgi</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php">http://www.okmtc.com/community/index.php</a><!-- m -->
Thanks Jim! :mrgreen:

Cripes, i dont want to take over Waynes thread :oops: ... :oops:

I hope you dont mind if i add these Wayne,

pic 1 - Two of the most Favorite people i know Worship

pic 2 & 3 - Two UP Dash-9's STILL in CNW colors, BOTH shots taken at the IRM Thumbsup

[Image: DSC03688.jpg]

[Image: DSC03716.jpg]

[Image: DSC03768.jpg]
UP SD40-2 Wrote:Cripes, i dont want to take over Waynes thread :oops: ... :oops:

I hope you dont mind if i add these Wayne,

Feel free to add whatever you want, Deano. For that matter, anyone with IRM photos is welcome to post here too.

Wayne
This is a great thread Wayne,not only for the photos but more importantly for the return of Deano and his father Larry---welcome back guys,you have been missed Cheers .Now that I see your pictures,I really wish I could have been there too :cry: :cry: :cry:
Grear pics of your trip south, Wayne, but the best of it is to see Deano and his Dad.

... and even better, seeing Deano posting again!

Welcome back, buddy!!!

You have sorely been missed.
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:Grear pics of your trip south, Wayne, but the best of it is to see Deano and his Dad.

... and even better, seeing Deano posting again!

Welcome back, buddy!!!

You have sorely been missed.

Cheers The true purpose of my trip was to see my friends - the Museum was merely the venue, although a great one at that. Goldth

Wayne
Beats meeting them in a dimly lit, smoke-filled coffee joint..... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).