How many bolts in a fishplate?
A few detail photos I took in Cadillac, Mi. I think the line is exx-Ann Arbour but might be exx-PRR. Currently Great Lakes Central, was Tuscola & Saginaw Bay.
A series of rail joints along a siding as the rail decreases 2 sizes.

David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
And more:

David
Moderato ma non troppo
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
The joint where the switch points are pivoted.

Adding a jumper between the stock rail and the points is a good practice.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
And the line is even used.

David
Moderato ma non troppo
Recently, I saw a joint for dropping a couple sizes in a single jump...it was odd.

If the 1225 is fixable in time, she and the 765 will double head over that very track in a couple months...

Excellent detail study!
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
The joint bars for the change of rail from one size to another are called "compromise bars" and most of them are ordered special for a job.
Some times the correct bars are not available so the track man may make the change in two steps. (using 3 different sizes of rail) The bars are marked as inner and outer as well as left and right. The inner bars keep the inner head in line while the outer bar will have a step in it to account for the difference in head width. There are also bars with 2 holes on one side and three on the other to go from a 4 bolt drilling to a 6 bolt drilling. For class 1 track a good tight bolt on either side of the joint is required. for class 2 and above you have to have 4 bolts in each joint. The bolts are staggered to keep a derailed wheel from shearing all of the bolts in a joint, thus causing the rail to separate.
You will notice one of the compromise bars pictured is homemade. This would not pass most track inspections even though it may be a great weld. There used to be one on the line between Conrail and the P&S that was a homemade job. the joint was the dividing point between railroads. I was told that the joint was know about, but they didn't know who it belonged to, so no one got cited. It was there, handling heavy coal trains for years.
Most of the old PRR lines were 130 PS rail on the mains and 100 PS on sidings, the PS being Pennsylvania Standard. Every rail is marked
Charlie
wait, this is a trick question......
Cid
Here is a welded joint with the larger being 136 RE and the other 132 RE. It is on the main line, probably rated as class 4 track.
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)