Washington DC
I was in DC last week tagging along as my wife attended a convention. While she was in meetings I was the consummate tourist. I took in a great number of the more notable sites but also made time for railroading. Here are some pictures I took around DC's beautiful Union Station. The track pics were shot through dirty windows in the parking ramp. I saw a walkway between the station and an office building that had a nice clean window overlooking the tracks but security guards wouldn't let me near it even though it was in an area BEFORE the metal detector entrance to the office building. My explanation that I wanted to take one photo of the trains did not persuade them. I also took a picture of the underground Metro subway. This public transportation system came in handy several times.

[Image: IMG_1073.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1076.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1074.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1068.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1070.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1077.jpg]

Ralph
I didn't know the superliners could fit under catenary. I suppose they don't travel under it for long.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Funny, I've got some of the same pictures from out trip. We never made it down below however so I never got to see the sub system.
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I didn't know the superliners could fit under catenary. I suppose they don't travel under it for long.

Ya, I don't believe they use Superliners on the NEC. But it has been probably a decade since they started running them on the Capital Limited which comes into WUS off the B&O (Metropolitan sub). I don't imagine they are taller than a TOFC, which have been running on the NEC for 50 years or more.

This may very well be the only place you will find Superliners under the wires...

Dave
-Dave