Name that Layout
Thanks for the comments. Cheers
Astoundingly real scenes, actually some of the most realistic modern depictions of construction projects I've seen on a model railroad.

Where are these 22" radius curves that you're so worried about running through with your new steamer?

That helix looks scary..a combination of steep grades and tight curves...does it operate well?
Thank you. I always try to go for a realistic scene with details and a reason for why things are the way they are on the layout. Big Grin

The helix does work. It is not able to handle a long haul trains up it due to the overall weight of the train which would then pull the cars over on their side. I know I have tried. :cry: It is on a 2% grade and needs some more tweaking. I do not run long trains anyways but I did try one and thats when I discovered the engine could pull it but the weight of the trailing cars rolled the freight cars over. I am not sure I am going to keep the helix but it solves a problem and some details I wanted on the layout. I have to get the trains back down from the mountain and if I use the helix I do that in a smaller area. I also get the look of the train going through tunnels and on a moutain grade. I think with some tweaking and more expermintation and using helper engines it will be an awesome little scene. Getting it to work flawlessly is going to be a task.

You can believe I will be posting info about it when I get brave enough to tackle it again. Smile Icon_lol
You may remember where I left off, just a blank area that needws a lot of detail and work. I first drilled my holes for my fence posts. I love that Dremel, powerful, no cords and adjustable speeds!

[Image: IMG1412.jpg]

[Image: IMG1413.jpg]

[Image: IMG1414.jpg]

[Image: IMG1415.jpg]

Next, placement of scenery.

[Image: IMG1416.jpg]

A quick bit change a hole drilled and bam, a new tree!

[Image: IMG1417.jpg]

[Image: IMG1418.jpg]

Next, pull everything out and put the fence in.

[Image: IMG1421.jpg]

[Image: IMG1422.jpg]

Make sure to straigten and tweak as you go for a straight fence.

[Image: IMG1423.jpg]

My tools for fencing. Any guess on what the fence material is made of?

[Image: IMG1425.jpg]

Let it dry and instant fence.

[Image: IMG1426.jpg]

It even shines like new fence does.

[Image: IMG1427.jpg]

[Image: IMG1428.jpg]

Next up, concrete color.

[Image: IMG1429.jpg]

[Image: img1235.jpg]

[Image: img1236.jpg]

[Image: img1237.jpg]

Wife hand painting the concrete curbs and walkways.

[Image: img1238.jpg]

[Image: img1239.jpg]

[Image: img1240.jpg]

Next time I will post some pictures of another project I am working on...

The top and surronding area seen here.

[Image: img1734.jpg]

[Image: HOST_THANKYOU.jpg]
Looking good!!

What are the fence posts made out of?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
[Image: rivets.jpg]

It is a rivet. They have a base to them so they look, or can look if you paint the base gray like they have been conreteded in place. I have a bucket full, dont ask, Icon_lol and they are strong so if you bump them no damage done.
Excellent idea with the rivets, and nice job.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Well they say pictures are worth a 1000 words so here it goes.

Dont worry, the track ties will get cleaned after the ballast dries. 35

[Image: img1728.jpg]

[Image: img1732.jpg]

[Image: img1734.jpg]

[Image: img1735.jpg]

[Image: img1736.jpg]

[Image: img1740.jpg]

[Image: img1742.jpg]

A no frills engine. Dont want it to take away from the scene. Smile

[Image: img1748.jpg]

[Image: img1749.jpg]

[Image: img1750.jpg]

[Image: img1751.jpg]

[Image: img1753.jpg]

[Image: img1754.jpg]

[Image: img1756.jpg]

[Image: img1757.jpg]

[Image: img1761.jpg]

[Image: img1762.jpg]

[Image: img1764.jpg]

[Image: img1765.jpg]

[Image: img1766.jpg]

[Image: img1767.jpg]

[Image: img1768.jpg]

[Image: img1769.jpg]

[Image: img1770.jpg]

Someone needs to WASH that engine! Icon_lol

[Image: img1775.jpg]

[Image: img1777.jpg]

[Image: img1778.jpg]

[Image: img1779.jpg]

[Image: img1780.jpg]

[Image: img1781.jpg]

[Image: img1782.jpg]

Next update we will be back at the other location and working on scenery.

[Image: img1783.jpg]

Excellent job!
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Here we go with more plants and scenery.

This is where we left off. Enjoy the updates. Comments welcome, even that haters! Icon_lol

[Image: img1783.jpg]

I am un happy with the corners of the building shown here. I didn't even notice it when I placed it. Its fixable but cameras always show the details dont they, 35

[Image: img1784.jpg]

[Image: img1785.jpg]

Little tree placement from the hole drilled before.

[Image: img1786.jpg]

[Image: img1787.jpg]

[Image: img1788.jpg]

[Image: img1789.jpg]

Next area, a little soil placement. As it dries it will look different.

[Image: img1790.jpg]

Reference photo of where the next area of soil is at.

[Image: img1791.jpg]

[Image: img1792.jpg]

Some flowers being "planted" by the wife as the soil sets up.

[Image: img1795.jpg]

[Image: img1797.jpg]

2285_ Next update, any one have a guess what this is going to be? 2285_

[Image: img1798.jpg]

Looking Good!! I like all the pics, and i really like the use of the soil and how real it looks Misngth

I will guess that that last pic is going to be either a small guard shack or a small electric substation of some sort?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Thanks for the comments. Nice guess but nope! Smile
Just looked over the collection of pictures... I *love* your use of little details on your buildings... the signs, even down to the credit cards accepted sign in one of the windows... that is great stuff! to me, those little details become talking points when friends and family see your work, and the attention to the detail shows in photographs too!

I must remember Combats pictures when I work on my storefronts in my village... you have inspired me!

Not sure if the vehicles came with the "TREES" licenses plates, but again, another great little touch that makes the scale world look and feel more real!

Nice work!

--Rob.
Using rivets as fence posts is a GREAT idea! I may have to try that myself! Also, very nice work on the concrete sidewalks/planters/apron!

- Dan
FANTASTIC work! I really like the added touch of the flowers. That is something you very rarely see on a layout, but is just one of the benefits of having your wife or girlfriend model with you. Don't knock a little "Foo-foo" touch guys. 35

Who makes the flowers? Are those the Busch ones? If so, how did you and your wife like them as far as ease of use? Or were they a total pain? I need to get the Busch Grape Vineyard set but have no idea how it works. I'm not familiar with Busch scenery products.
Tom Carter
Railroad Training Services
Railroad Trainers & Consultants
Stockton, CA
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com">http://www.railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com">tomwcarter@railroadtrainingservices.com</a><!-- e -->
[Image: gaugetraingifsigUP.gif]