Name that Layout
RobL Wrote:Just looked over the collection of pictures... I *love* your use of little details on your buildings... the signs, even down to the credit cards accepted sign in one of the windows... that is great stuff! to me, those little details become talking points when friends and family see your work, and the attention to the detail shows in photographs too!

I must remember Combats pictures when I work on my storefronts in my village... you have inspired me!

Not sure if the vehicles came with the "TREES" licenses plates, but again, another great little touch that makes the scale world look and feel more real!

Nice work!

--Rob.

Thank you. The lic plates I made. Same way I made the credit card signs. I have a few other signs on the layout that are custom made. Thank you for noticing. Thumbsup
Dan85 Wrote:Using rivets as fence posts is a GREAT idea! I may have to try that myself! Also, very nice work on the concrete sidewalks/planters/apron!

- Dan

Thank you!
Tom Wrote:FANTASTIC work! I really like the added touch of the flowers. That is something you very rarely see on a layout, but is just one of the benefits of having your wife or girlfriend model with you. Don't knock a little "Foo-foo" touch guys. 35

Who makes the flowers? Are those the Busch ones? If so, how did you and your wife like them as far as ease of use? Or were they a total pain? I need to get the Busch Grape Vineyard set but have no idea how it works. I'm not familiar with Busch scenery products.

They are the Busch flowers, and my wife made them.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-1209">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-1209</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-1205">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-1205</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-1207">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/189-1207</a><!-- m -->

She used a mix of all of those kits.

She said you need tweezers, super glue, a spru cutter, small paint brush, paint, and good eye sight, and a lot of patience. She said she used an assembled line process to make them. The isntructions are in German but I think she did a great job on them. The colors she used and they arangement she selected when she placed them really adds a lot to the scene. She said even though they are not the easiest kits, she is happy with the final result and would recommend them. There are still a lot more in the kits she needs to make so you will see these elsewhere on the layout.
Well here is where we left off last time. I had one guess on what this was going to be. Anyone else want to take a stab at it? I will show you a little more and maybe you will have a better idea. Enjoy the update. Smile

[Image: img1798.jpg]

[Image: img1799.jpg]

More flowers "planted".

[Image: img1800.jpg]

More clues.......

[Image: img1801.jpg]

Here is another area she made on the other part of the scene for flowers.

[Image: img1806.jpg]

Test fitting and fences being added, any guess?

[Image: img1807.jpg]

[Image: img1808.jpg]

Someone watered and a tree sprung up...

[Image: img1809.jpg]

Testing for parking spots so lines can be painted.

[Image: img1810.jpg]

I think it looks pretty good! She did a real nice job! Thumbsup

[Image: img1812.jpg]

[Image: img1813.jpg]

More pictures next time. Cheers

[Image: HOST_THANKYOU.jpg]
Looks good. Especially the flowers.
I might suggest placing curbing around the flower plots.
Wouldn't want an errant driver running over the rhododendrons.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Here we go with another update.

Did some building placement checks again.

[Image: img1815.jpg]

[Image: img1816.jpg]

[Image: img1817.jpg]

[Image: img1818.jpg]

[Image: img1819.jpg]

[Image: img1820.jpg]

[Image: img1821.jpg]

[Image: img1823.jpg]

[Image: img1824.jpg]

[Image: img1826.jpg]

How about a guess with this picture what it is???

[Image: img1827.jpg]

Thats right, it is a cell tower! Smile

[Image: img1828.jpg]

[Image: img1829.jpg]

Details that still need to be applied.
[Image: img1830.jpg]

Large overview......
[Image: img1831.jpg]

[Image: img1832.jpg]

[Image: img1834.jpg]

[Image: img1836.jpg]

[Image: img1839.jpg]

[Image: img1840.jpg]

[Image: img1841.jpg]

[Image: img1843.jpg]

[Image: img1845.jpg]

[Image: img1846.jpg]

Its starting to look like something!

[Image: img1847.jpg]

[Image: img1848.jpg]

[Image: img1849.jpg]

[Image: img1850.jpg]

[Image: img1851.jpg]

Checking for parking space size.... More details and scenery to come... not to mention work on that ugly crossing!!!

[Image: img1852.jpg]

[Image: img1853.jpg]

[Image: img1856.jpg]

[Image: img1860.jpg]

[Image: img1861.jpg]

Next time, details and parking spots.

[Image: IMG_1569.jpg]

Cool Daniel!!!

I like the sidewalks and driveways, you guys did a great job on them, and the flowers look neat too!!

what are you using for the grade crossing?

BTW, i like the cell tower, thats a cool detail, BLMA?
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Yes the cell tower is blma. I added some stuff to it for a more custom and busy look... The grade crossing I think is made by them too. Its the "rubber" version. Needs to be cleaned up... 35

Thanks for the comments.
COMBAT Wrote:Yes the cell tower is blma. I added some stuff to it for a more custom and busy look... The grade crossing I think is made by them too. Its the "rubber" version. Needs to be cleaned up... 35

Thanks for the comments.

Ahhh i had thought those grade crossings were BLMA as well, i have a few sets of the "concrete" grade crossings from them, they are the plastic ones and are very nice. i want to get some of the "asphalt" grade crossings to, the ones you have right now, they look just as good as the "concrete" ones Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
That Elmers glue bottle really helps to put those flowers into perspective!
The bottle is the larger size so I hope it isnt throwing you off. Smile
Details:

[Image: IMG_1571.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1593.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1594.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1596.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1597.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1602.jpg]

The holes under the curbs will be repaird.
[Image: IMG_1604.jpg]

The building still needs to be secured in place.

[Image: IMG_1605.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1607.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1608.jpg]

Custom sign.
[Image: IMG_1610.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1611.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1612.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1613.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1615.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1617.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1619.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1620.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1621.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1623.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1624.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1628.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1629.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1631.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1632.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1633.jpg]

Did some more work on this area:

[Image: IMG_1572.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1573.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1574.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1576.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1578.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1580.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1582.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1583.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1585.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1627.jpg]

WoW..!!! Talk about an urban area...It's great..!! Tons of details that normally aren't modeled...Good work..!! Thumbsup

It's good to see the folks at the IGA shop take all major credit cards....That should bring more business in... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
My favorite in all of those, we're the properly colored dumpsters - 1 for garbage and 1 for recycle. Good find on those. The overhang on the steamer doesn't look that bad at all. Some criticism just 'cause I know you can handle it... your parking lots and roads are..... too clean! They need to be dirtied up. You are putting a level of detail into your layout that is incredible yet your streets and parking lots have no cracks, or loose gravel, skid marks, oil spots, potholes... etc. etc. etc. Perhaps I'm jumping the gun a bit and those are soon to come? The little dirt road is very well done... the packed dirt where the vehicles travel, tire tracks, turn around marks, and even where the vehicles leave the dirt to travel onto the concrete/pavement(?)... they have tracked the dirt out onto the clean roads! Nice details!
Your road dirt looks great what did you use?
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada