American Flyer Train Set? How much is it worth?
Hi guys, my grandfather has a friend that has an old American Flyer Train Set that he got when he was a little kid and has held onto ever since. Its been safely stored away for years. I believe it is HO scale and he said it is in excellent condition. He said he only set it up and played with it a few times when he got it.

What does a train set like this go for these days? I dont have any pictures of the set yet, but i just wanted to see if anyone here knew what it was worth?

Thanks in advance,
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
AF sets, particularly in HO aren't worth much. Generally AF has a good demand in S and O scales (prewar), but even run-of the-mill items do not command high prices. Accesories, on the other hand, are much sought after and can be worth a good bunch if in good condition. Check out eBay to get a feel for this market....
Gus (LC&P).
Josh,Its hard to say..You see the price will depend on the condition and rarity of the item.In some cases one road name may be worth more.

Under NO conditions should you base a models worth on E-bay prices because it simply doesn't work that way.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Prices are (or should be...) determined by what the market will pay for an item. If too high, item won't sell; if too low, bidding will push the price up to what the "market" will pay. There is no "wider" market than eBay. If you can find a "dedicated" group that will pay whatever you ask for, then you're all set.
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Prices are (or should be...) determined by what the market will pay for an item. If too high, item won't sell; if too low, bidding will push the price up to what the "market" will pay. There is no "wider" market than eBay. If you can find a "dedicated" group that will pay whatever you ask for, then you're all set.

Gus,I am sorry but,it doesn't work that way with collectible locomotives/cars.

You see collectors(not e-bay) set the prices..A collector will not sell on e-bay because of the auction type format.
Would you let a engine or car go for pennies on the dollar at auction when you know there are collectors/modelers willing to pay the full value?

I been a horse trader for years and I am still stock how many modelers doesn't know the real value of hard to find models or road name.

Back to e-bay..I know when I had a account I "stoled" some rare cars for pennies on the dollar and sold 'em at their true value while giggling at the prices that common cars was going for.

Just for fun..

Do you know the real value of this car that collectors and those that want the mate to the Landmark/Uniopolis car are willing to pay? This is a Athearn RTR car long sold out and there hasn't been a second run.

[Image: derailment-005.jpg]

All I am saying be sure you know what you have before selling it..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

It always amazes me how many people clean out their attics and think they can retire on the bucks they make off eBay.
Some of the stuff they put there are worth big bucks, but won't fetch half what they get if they took it to a auction house like Southbys. True collectors don't browse ebay, except maybe for the fact that the can just say:"You want THAT MUCH for this. I saw the same thing on ebay for less than that." I always tell them: "Should of gotten it there then."

Being a NASCAR diecast collector, I browse ebay, just to see what people think they can get for a casting. True..some folks don't know what they have, and sell it for a low price, but others think just because "its a certain driver, its really worth this much, and thats what I'm going to get for it!". The only way its "worth that much", is the number of pieces that were manufactured, low numbers being the best, popularity of the driver, and whether it was bought at a diecast dealer, QVC, or it was a pegwarmer at Wal-Mart. Most think the pegwarmers are worth big bucks, just because "its a certain driver". But because they usually have huge production numbers, and are'nt the quality you get at a dealer or QVC, are worth no more than what you paid for it at Wal-Mart. I have pegwarmers that are at least fifteen years old, that are only worth a couple of dollars more than what I paid for them. And is only really worth, the same as a piece I pick up today. Doesn't matter who the driver is.

You also have to remeber, that "its only worth alot", to someone who really wants it.
Lets take that covered hopper Brakie posted for an example. Sure, its a nice piece, good shape, rare, but to me, its just going to be stuck behind a loco in a manifest train, or on siding on my layout, and so thinking that, to me its worth no more than another piece of rolling stock I pick up at my LHS. And thats all I would be willing to pay for it. Maybe, there is someone out there, that does nothing but collect rare out of production Athearn rolling stock, and is going to put it in a display case in his den. To him, its worth alot, and would be willing to pay the price for it.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Ed said:Lets take that covered hopper Brakie posted for an example. Sure, its a nice piece, good shape, rare, but to me, its just going to be stuck behind a loco in a manifest train, or on siding on my layout, and so thinking that, to me its worth no more than another piece of rolling stock I pick up at my LHS.
--------------------
For the average modeler you are correct but,there are collectors and those that want the set that is willing to pay more since the Landmark set sold out quickly.I had a heck of a time finding the one I have and when I did it was full price.I was on the prowl for the Uniopolis car but,no longer.

That's where the art of horse trading comes into play,knowing the worth of a given item lest you get burn in the trade and that works both ways.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

You are certainly correct in differentiating between collector markets, and the general,"I want a trainset" crowd....
If I was a collector, i certainly would be keeping an eye on eBay, on the off-chance that someone unaware of what they're offering might have something that is certainly "rare", and be asking a fraction of the price it is worth....
I suppose there are guides that list every known train artifact ever made and what they may be worth, but that's something that's beyond the scope of someone simply wanting to offer something for sale.
I still say that the worth of an item is what someone is willing to pay for it, whether on ebay or at a train collectors convention....
Gus (LC&P).
Gus,That Landmark car is going for $30-35.00 and the match set in mint and unused condition will fetch around $75.00..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Yup, an item only holds value to someone who wants to pay for it.

The average eBayer might only give a few bucks for Brakie's car, labeling it as "just another car" as was previously mentioned. Personally, I would pay a bit more for it because it's an interesting car, and it's got Columbus, OH on it...which is where I live. As such, it holds more value to me. To a collector of Landmark memorabilia, it would be worth even more. And for someone who has a complete set except for this car...well, people like that will attach a lot of value to Brakie's car.

Mr. Average eBayer watches the price jump beyond his expectations and says, "WHAT?! That car isn't worth that much!"

Mr. Collector is saying, "YES! I finally got that last car, what a deal!"
Tony
Thanks for the replies guys

i finally got a chance to take a look at the train set my grandfathers friend has. He dropped it off at their house and i was able to get some pics of it a few days ago. He had said it was in pretty good shape, but upon looking at it, it doesnt look like its in all that great of shape. I guess its alright for being from the mid 50's lol

here are the pics

The Steam Engine:

[Image: SL373403.jpg]

[Image: SL373404.jpg]

[Image: SL373405.jpg]

[Image: SL373406.jpg]

The 3 Freight cars:

[Image: SL373407.jpg]

[Image: SL373408.jpg]

[Image: SL373409.jpg]

[Image: SL373410.jpg]

[Image: SL373411.jpg]

[Image: SL373412.jpg]

[Image: SL373413.jpg]

[Image: SL373414.jpg]

Some pics of the structures:

[Image: SL373415.jpg]

[Image: SL373416.jpg]

[Image: SL373417.jpg]

Here is the Power Pack, looks to be in good condition:

[Image: SL373418.jpg]

[Image: SL373419.jpg]

[Image: SL373420.jpg]

And here is the condition of the track:

[Image: SL373421.jpg]

[Image: SL373423.jpg]

There are 54 Curves and 4 Straights, so im assuming this makes some kinda dogbone set-up. All the track appears to be in decent condition, would need some elbow grease to clean them up. There is also some paperwork that was in the box and the original manual for the train set. Most of the original vintage boxes that the stuff came in are there too, kinda falling apart, but there lol.

Now seeing pics, what do you guys think this is worth?

Thanks in advance
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
That's a 1950 S Gauge set. It is smaller than O but larger than HO. No, I don't have a price on it.
Like Roger says, that's an early 50's set. It's still got the hook/horn couplers and the painted journal boxes. Mid 50's AF's had the knuckle couplers and all black trucks.
If he's thinking of selling it, he'll get more by selling it "in pieces", and not as a set. The track and structures are worth as much, or more, than the trains themselves.
Does the engine run..?? Do a test run to check it out. Make sure you clean the track and tender wheels first, to be able to get an idea of its running characteristics (if any.... Eek ).
Gus (LC&P).
My 1997 "Collecting Toy Trains" guide puts the #300 Reading 4-4-2 w/ link couplers @ $20-65, depending on condition. It was made in 1946-47.

The #2 transformer was put out in '47 and went for between $7.50 and $15.

The #630 Reading caboose went for $5-15 and was made in '46-'49.

The #633 B&O reefer went for $6-20 and was made in '46-49.

The '46-'49 C&NW flat probably carried the girder load and went for $21-70 with girders. The log version went for $10-32.

Track is $.25-$1 a section, curve or straight.

Of course the market could have gone up---or down---since, I'd need a little more information on the other stuff i.e. AF numbers to tell you what else you have.
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Whoa! A complete 1950 era set complete with a station w/whistle and a crossing tender tower... Eek

Contact these guys.They should be able to help.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://alminutoli.tripod.com/index.htm">http://alminutoli.tripod.com/index.htm</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.traincollectors.org/">http://www.traincollectors.org/</a><!-- m -->
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry