my first acquisition
Hello Everyone---I've always had a facination with trains,the fact that my father was a locomotive engineer on the Canadian National Railway had a lot to do with it I'm sure.Like many children,I was lucky to get a train set for Christmas---if I recall my first train was made by Marx,a New York Central steam engine with an oval track that I would play with for hours on end. As I "grew up", my interests expanded but I never stopped taking the time to watch a train pass by,I only wish I had a camera back then as there were still steam engines in abundance.I didn't start collecting trains until I got married---I blame my wife on my "obsession",as she was the person who very much encouraged me and supported me to pursue a hobby "to keep me out of trouble". About 30 years ago I bought a steam engine from a LHS and would you believe that it was a model from Doctor Wayne's Grand Valley---I had never met Wayne ,but this purchased started not only a start of my train collection but more importantly a true friendship with Doc. As I was going through some old photos,I came across a picture of this locomotive---as you can see,he was a very talented craftsman long ago.

[Image: 1209008-1.jpg]
It looks like a MDC Santa Fe style oil tender, a MDC Harriman cab, and perhaps the chassis is a heavily modified Bachmann Reading I-10 2-8-0?

--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
...and a poor photographer. Wink Goldth
Here are the only photos that I have of that loco:
[Image: GrandValley96-Tyco-Mantua2-8-2.jpg]

[Image: GrandValley96-2-8-2.jpg]

[Image: GrandValley2-8-296.jpg]

The loco is a Tyco/Mantua Mikado with a lot (over $100.00 worth) of added detail parts. The cab is from Model Die Casting, as is the tender, a Santa Fe oil tender converted to coal. (Good spotting, Kevin) Thumbsup The Commonwealth trucks are sprung versions from PSC. The metal parts (boiler, running gear, and detail parts) were blackened using Hobby Black, a chemical blackener, with the plastic parts painted to match, more-or-less. Wink The sand dome, by the way, is from a Tyco 60' three-dome tank car.

Wayne
Looks nice! Dr. Wayne is indeed talented, I am lucky to have a couple of his diesels. I can only hope to one day be lucky enough to acquire a steamer as well! Misngth
-Dave