Steam generator moves through PA
It's not a train - but it's still neat from an engineering standpoint.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wgal.com/slideshow/news/20905195/detail.html">http://www.wgal.com/slideshow/news/20905195/detail.html</a><!-- m -->
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Interesting, oversize loads can be a real challenge. In the pics they were able to raise up the power lines to clear the load, but the planners of a move like that must consider any obstructions that might be on a proposed route especially any bridges that might not offer enough clearance to get through.
I once got caught behind a house that was being move down a main street. They had to stop at every intersection and lift all the wires clear. After two intersections, I changed routes.
I've also seen what happens when a steel plate is lifted through a streetcar wire and the wire lands on the concrete road.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Interesting, oversize loads can be a real challenge. In the pics they were able to raise up the power lines to clear the load, but the planners of a move like that must consider any obstructions that might be on a proposed route especially any bridges that might not offer enough clearance to get through.

Imagine what would happen if they moved the thing 20 miles, lifted all sorts of wires out of the way, and then came upon a bridge that they had mis-measured or forgotten about. Whoops. I guess they would have to turn around and find another route!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
The problem is that something that long with that many tires doesn't turn around very well at all. Certainly not on something narrower than an 8 lane road!
I watched a B-52 moved to the Air Force Academy. Confusedhock:
MountainMan Wrote:I watched a B-52 moved to the Air Force Academy. Confusedhock:
geeze!! that wouldn't be good around here - especially if they didn't remove the wings Eek

Must have been a neat thing to watch though Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
I saw the Orangeville station (CPR witch's hat) being moved. Instead of lifting the powerlines, they laid them all down on the road...! Eek They also had one very steep hill to negotiate - twice. Once downwards on Townline Road, and then back up, one block over, on Broadway to get the station to its final stop. It is now a restaurant (or was last time I checked - the web is not very informative on the fate of this establishment).

Ironically, the old restaurant associated with the station was left in place, used as a bunkhouse and then offices. It burned down a couple of years ago and was replaced with a modern interpretation of the witch's hat:

[albumimg]1211[/albumimg]

Andrew
ngauger Wrote:
MountainMan Wrote:I watched a B-52 moved to the Air Force Academy. Confusedhock:
geeze!! that wouldn't be good around here - especially if they didn't remove the wings Eek

Must have been a neat thing to watch though Big Grin Big Grin

The aircraft was flown into Peterson AFB in Colorado Springs, stripped out, the wings removed and placed on a separate flatbed from the fuselage, and the whole thing trucked to the Air Force Academy. The problem was the tail, five stories tall! An entire fleet of vehicles moved with it, especially the electrical company cherry picker trucks out in front raising or removing streetlights, stoplights and other electrical obstructions. It took an entire day to move those last few miles.