Bowser USRA Lt Mikado, Deluxe Kit build
Make sure - make DOUBLE sure, that the insulated drivers are ALL on the same side. Sounds like this may be the source of the problem. It would make it seem as if the motor is bad. Did you try the bad mike motor in the pacific?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
ocalicreek Wrote:Make sure - make DOUBLE sure, that the insulated drivers are ALL on the same side. Sounds like this may be the source of the problem. It would make it seem as if the motor is bad. Did you try the bad mike motor in the pacific?

Galen

Excellent point!

And check the tender axles! I've been caught on all of these things before...more than once... 35

I also had a binding problem once by having the main rods reversed...and hence backwards...they would bind when the reversed rivet went places it wasn't supposed to go.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
Another disasterous side-effect of misplaced insulated drivers could be the uncurable Smoking Decoder Syndrome.

PLUS, you'll want them all to be on the correct side (usually the left side). Really it doesn't matter as long as you spin the tender trucks around to the opposite side, but then your motor direction will be reversed.

If you are isolating for DCC and adding power wipers it will be even more critical.

Galen
I did make sure that their are no shorts. I added shrink wrap at the terminal connections to minimize that risk.
I checked all electrical connections using a mulitmeter and found that all the electronics are installed correctly.
I didn't check it on glass though. I am betting that it is binding at the cylinder heads as there was alot of slop in the connections at that end.
I will have to start on the pacific so I can use the spare parts from the valve gear to mend this one. It won't see any daylight until the begining of next week though. When it does, I will report my findings.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Well, whatever the problem is, don't give up. Persistance and patience pay off...eventually. If you have to take a rest, take a rest and work on something else. We'll still be here waiting...and waiting. Oh, and waiting. Wink

Galen
I have been following this thread with interest as an ex HO gauger from many years ago. If anyone is going to try one of these kits you need to buy it now. I received this email From Bowser on March 2nd.

Just a little note to all our customers,

Bowser has discontinued HO steam loco, turntable, Standard gauge and O gauge replacement wheel production.

We will continued to make our HO diesel locomotives, HO freight car, N freight cars, HO trolleys, Cal Scale, Selley and Cary detail parts

We have plans for many new products but, they do not include any steam locos in any scale.

Steam loco parts are still available but when our supply is exhausted I do not plan to restock.

Thank You for all your interest over the years.

Lee English, President
John

Any day I can run my O gauge trains or ride the full sized ones is a great day.
I got the same email. I think I am going to get another pacific. I might also get either a consolidation or another mikado. Even with the minor headaches this has given me, it has been alot of fun to build.

Speaking of the build...
Everything has been stripped back to the frame. I am going to have to file the piston guides, and pick up some brass screws. I will probably start the pacific, and use the left over brass screws from the valve gear assembly from that one.
I am going to reinstall each of the drivers, one at a time, and glass test them like Doc Wayne suggested. That way I can pick up the problem at each step, as I had planned on doing to begin with.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.