Christmas Carol Tour Train
In Phila PA.. Pics of the Disney train on tour Smile

Side of the engine

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Some Model Shots

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

Side of a car

Attached Files Image(s)

~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I've been thinking of taking the kids to see this when it rolls near Charlotte (Spencer, NC - NC Transportation Museum)...what exactly do you do inside the train? Is it a rolling exhibit? Worth seeing?
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Herc Driver Wrote:I've been thinking of taking the kids to see this when it rolls near Charlotte (Spencer, NC - NC Transportation Museum)...what exactly do you do inside the train? Is it a rolling exhibit? Worth seeing?
basically - after waiting about an hour in line.. Smile youu walk straight through 5 cars of the train.

Each car has a different theme..
Clothing and period costumes from the movie (mannquins in costumes)
Digital effects and interviews from the movie (flat panel screens lining the walls at chest height)
Model room and effect room (Where the buildings are)
CGI Suit and locator effect space... how they "Digitize" the actors - Geek high-tech!!!! Big Grin Big Grin
Build a character -- take a picture of the kid's face and make them into one of the 4 main characters from the movie - this is REALLY cool!!!!! - Go to walmart.com and download the picture.. from Disney's Christmas Carol Tour web site.

Then - after all that - there is a "Living room & Dining room" themed car - with a partial turkey dinner - really neat... After that you exit the train and go to a "pole building" Mini Movie theater, that they have a 10 min portion of interviews showing and 3 - 4 minutes of 3D effects from the movie... The effects are fantastic - but everything Disney does is Great!!!!

After seeing Jim Carrey on most of the screens on the train, you really can "see" how they do the effects and how unbelievably long it takes to "get a scene".. lotsa Fun!!! and free too!!!!!! Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

My wife and I just went to see "Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs" tonight in 3D and they showed a "Christmas Carol" preview in 3D and WOW did it pop out at you. I was very impressed with the graphics. We'll probably add it to the list of movies to see when it arrives at our local theater. I guess we'll try to see the train as well to learn more about the movie. Interesting Disney turned to Amtrak to help sell this flick. I mean, besides reading about it on various railroad hobby websites, I haven't read anything about it in print or seen any local tv reports about the train. I wonder how Disney justified the marketing expense...not that I mind them using a train...but in this very digital age, it does make you wonder what Disney was thinking they're return on investment would be and how many people they would reach with this promotion.

Just did a search...turns out we missed the train. It stopped by a few weeks ago. Oh well.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
yeah - it's an Amtrak, HP, Disney venture.. The tickets are numbered and we were "Counted" as we entered the train, so they are very interested in "how many". Then - I guess - they'll compair the counts to how many movie goers they getin the different markets...

We were upset it wasn't advertised in this area either. No one even mentioned it here on big Blue as far as I know. I only saw it on the news 2 days before it got here...
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I saw it mentioned on one of the Disney sites. I saw that the closest it would get to me was Detroit at a time we couldn't go.
The lack of publicity is astounding. It's even worse than the CPR Holiday train.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
BR60103 Wrote:The lack of publicity is astounding. It's even worse than the CPR Holiday train.

Someone should be bagging groceries in the PR dept...the first I heard of it was 2 daze ago and it's been going on since last spring?
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Maybe they were looking for "word of mouth". Someone accidently coming across it on the web, talk on the railroad boards.
Or.....
Maybe they spent the budget on, fixing up some passenger cars, wrapping a train, paying AMTRAC to pull it across country and other fees, no admission, and ran out of money to advertise it.
In which case, they needed "word of mouth".
The closest it gets to me is New York City....Can't make it.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.