The beginning of my C&O New River Sub layout
Hi Wayne,

thanks for your thoughts! I have found the photo below of Handley Coaling tower made in a later period and here is a steel or wood truss construction visible. So, I have made the decission to cover the roof with tarpaper. The pediments will be plated with sheet metal.

The next step will be adding the putties on the lower part of the tower to simulate concrete construction and eliminate scratches and other unevenness. Photos will follow...

Greetings

Marco

Attached Files Image(s)

C & O.... for Progress
You're absolutely right, Marco, and that photo removes any doubt as to the type of construction. Wink Goldth

I neglected to mention it in my previous post, but you're doing a nice job on the tower. Thumbsup Thumbsup That staircase looks like it'll be quite a job, though. Eek

Wayne
If I may interject, that is easily one of the saddest images I've ever seen. What a waste and a sad state to see the yard in.
Nice work on the tower, looks pretty sturdy.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Hi at all!

Yes, I agree, this is one of the saddest pics from Handley, but if you visit Handley today, you can't found not more from the facility than a concrete cube standing on 6 old legs, no roundhouse, no turntable, nothing. And the ugly modern depot structure...

But, right now, I have done some work last days. I have applied putties on the walls and have grinded down with a rough sandpaper in horizontal direction. Next step is to color the side walls with a light grey and add some weathering.

The upper section of the pediments will be covered with cutted paper. Later the paper will be colored and weathered to imitate rusty metal sheets.

Greetings

Marco

Attached Files Image(s)

C & O.... for Progress
By the way, I'm looking allway for drawings from Handley, WVa!

Has anybody an idea in which time the box car and the heavyweight baggage car were placed at the left side of the water tank? Steam era or later?
C & O.... for Progress
e-paw Wrote:Nice work on the tower, looks pretty sturdy.

And yes, the tower is realy sturdy! He can handle tons of coal Smile
C & O.... for Progress
Hi at all!

Last Saturday my C&O Railway Company has aquired the 4 section layout shown below. This is an ex-ATSF layout of friend Frank. After re-build the track plan, eliminate the dessert and plant trees it will be added to my C&O layout.

C&O has done some test runs on the new right of way as shown below! As you can see, also other railroads were interested in the ATSF property, such as N&W (BLI Class A) and NYC (BLI Niagara). Goldth

Greetings Marco

Attached Files Image(s)

C & O.... for Progress
Hi at all!

There are any news on my Handley WVa coaling tower.

This weekend I have painted the 4 walls and the legs of the coal dock. First I have applied simple grey acrylic paint. Next step was to add the first layer of the simulated concrete. I have mixed the grey acrylic paint with ocher yellow and with finest sand (found on banks of most creeks). After applying and drying of the mixture I have grinded down the walls again and have applied the last layer of acrylic paint, now without added sand.

I think, it looks like a real old concrete wall! Last thing to do is to add the metal sheets, which cover the gable ends on each side. The tower will be weathered in the last phase of work!

Enjoy the pics!

Greetings
Marco

Attached Files Image(s)

C & O.... for Progress
Hi at all!

After two years I'm back in this forum! Something has changed in the meantime! The project New River Sub is putted off. On the other hand I have integrated the existing segments in my new C&O themed modular layout. It's a single track branch line, mostly freelanced, but oriented on C&O facilities in the forrests of West Virginia. On the first two photos you can see the layout on this year model railroad show in Ottobeuren, Western Bavaria! Sorry for the bad quality, it's a photo shot with my mobile device...

Attached Files Image(s)

C & O.... for Progress
OK, here is the next batch of photos! Enjoy...

Attached Files Image(s)

C & O.... for Progress
Yesterday was a sunny day I have used to make any photos of the new finished segment of the layout!

Attached Files Image(s)

C & O.... for Progress
Photos......

Attached Files Image(s)

C & O.... for Progress
Last photo...

Attached Files Image(s)

C & O.... for Progress
Yesterday I have tried to build a deciduous tree! And here is the result!

First stepp I have selected a dry perch of our apple tree and small dry perches from an anknown flower bush from my wife (with prior agreement of herself Big Grin )
The other materials are HEKI Natural bushes, water based glue (water resistent after drying), an assortement of small drillers and a knife.

Second step was to drill holes in the bole and the perches.

Next step was to apply parts of HEKI bushes into the drilled holes. I have glued them together with the water based glue.
Next thing was to apply the ready made perches into the holes on the bole.

The tree was finished with any more of the HEKI bushes, to give the tree an natural appearance.

The photos below are in correct order!
I know, this technique is not best way to apply trees on a complete West Virginian layout, but for special scenes it will be great! This tree will be applied to the new sawmill scene.

Attached Files Image(s)

C & O.... for Progress