GERN ON TV
Here's a picture I took of my computer. I couldn't get a screen shot. Its from A Discovery Channel commercial

Does that hard hat say what I think it says?

Here's a link to the commercial:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/world-is-just-awesome/?smid=FBDJO-FWP-THP">http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/world-is-ju ... JO-FWP-THP</a><!-- m -->

Attached Files Image(s)

Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Not quite....It says "CERN"..the European agency that is building the "ultimate" particle accelerator.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:It says "GERN" is building the "ultimate" flux accelerator.... Goldth

Fixed it for you. Wink

Big Grin
Steamtrains Wrote:Not quite....It says "CERN"..the European agency that is building the "ultimate" particle accelerator.... Goldth

the same one that is going to create all those mini black holes? Eek
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:the same one that is going to create all those mini black holes? Eek
yes........ the "running" joke is:

Be ConCERNed!!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html
CERN = Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire, aka the Large Hadron Collider, among other things.
Duh!! All this money being spent to build an accelerator...so things can collide?????? Why not just go to LA and accelerate on the freeway. You're bound to collide with something!!!
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
sgtcarl1 Wrote:Duh!! All this money being spent to build an accelerator...so things can collide?????? Why not just go to LA and accelerate on the freeway. You're bound to collide with something!!!

Sigh... Icon_lol
Nothing like using a 17 mile long machine to toy with the forces of the universe, eh? These scientists have spent over $10 billion on this thing, so that they can turn it on for 5 minutes and spend 5 years analyzing the data...which doesn't prove anything because it's all theory in the first place. Man does not have the capability to understand such things, in my opinion.

At any rate, scientists have been able to produce black holes (they were microscopic) in the past. This machine does possess the ability to create a much larger one, though scientists speculate that such a scenario is:
- "Highly unlikely...but not impossible"
- "If produced, a black hole would vanish almost as instantly as it appeared"

That's reassuring, isn't it? Here are some facts about the Large Hadron Collider:
- It operates at 7 trillion electron volts
- Just one solenoid (the machine has many) weighs over 12,000 tons
- Uses super-cold liquid helium to replicate the far below freezing temperatures of outer space
- 1,600 superconducting magnets
- 10,000 electrical splices

Wonder if they're using DCC to operate that thing?
Tony
The intent of the LHC is precisely to provide data to prove or disprove current theories on the nature of matter. If the data coincides with the theory, then the theory is right, if it proves otherwise, well,,,it's back to the drawing board.... 35

The need to super-cool the instrument has nothing to do with outer space; its purpose is to enable the tremendous amounts of electricity required to operate the machine to flow virtually without resistance through the thousands of miles of wiring...the phenomenon is known as "super-conductivity". It's that resistance to electric current flow that we try to alleviate by adding feeders to the tracks at every few feet on our layouts....
Let's hope it works this time..... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Just a quick question...couldn't the money be spent on something more beneficial to the general population? Why spend all this money to inflate, (or deflate) some scientist's ego?
sgtcarl1 Wrote:Just a quick question...couldn't the money be spent on something more beneficial to the general population? Why spend all this money to inflate, (or deflate) some scientist's ego?

Lets put this into perspective.

Annual Payrolls based on 09-10 Salary Caps

Professional Hockey Team = $57 million per team. 30 Franchised Member clubs = $1,710,000,000

NFL Team = $128 million per team. 32 Teams = $4,096,000,000

NBA Team = $58 million per team. 30 Teams = $1,740,000,000

Baseball Team = There is no salary cap, but Yankees superstar players earn yearly salaries close to (if not greater than) the entire payroll of some other clubs, the Yankees have been the subject of six of the eleven occasions the tax has been implemented. Some of those team payrolls are $100 million plus.

Here are the top paid players through the end of 2008
1. $198,413,252 - Alex Rodriguez
2. $188,245,322 - Barry Bonds (retired)
3. $167,550,019 - Randy Johnson
4. $162,258,269 - Manny Ramírez
5. $161,230,000 - Derek Jeter
6. $154,008,550 - Gary Sheffield
7. $153,845,000 - Greg Maddux (retired)
8. $147,353,682 - Ken Griffey, Jr.
9. $146,259,585 - Pedro Martínez
10. $144,533,619 - Mike Mussina (retired)
11. $134,299,000 - Carlos Delgado
12. $130,890,502 - Kevin Brown (retired)
13. $130,095,446 - John Smoltz
14. $128,639,293 - Tom Glavine
15. $128,134,019 - Jeff Bagwell (retired)
16. $125,058,996 - Jason Giambi (retired)
17. $124,068,000 - Sammy Sosa (not retired, but was not under contract in 2008)
18. $123,961,667 - Jim Thome
19. $122,550,270 - Mike Hampton
20. $121,001,000 - Roger Clemens
21. $120,176,002 - Mike Piazza (retired)
22. $117,552,133 - Chipper Jones
23. $115,073,932 - Iván Rodríguez
24. $114,158,000 - Curt Schilling (retired)
25. $110,363,431 - Larry Walker (retired)
26. $108,082,416 - Andy Pettitte
27. $104,634,000 - Frank Thomas
28. $103,100,001 - Bernie Williams (retired)
29. $102,433,410 - Andruw Jones
30. $100,616,066 - Shawn Green (retired)
31. $100,405,001 - Mo Vaughn (retired)

I'm not even going to bother adding those up. Icon_lol

I think you can see where this is heading. One could argue that instead of paying these individual players such exuberant salaries that we could instead as a collective society using that money and resources to better ourselves. For example the average wage for a medical scientist doing cancer research is $81,000 USD. With probably a small minority pulling in a 6 digit salary for those who are considered the top in their field. The average annual salary for physicists employed by the US Federal Government was $111,769 in 2007; for astronomy and space scientists, it was $117,570.

For the 2009 fiscal year, the base budget of the Department of Defense rose to $518.3 billion. Adding emergency discretionary spending, supplemental spending, and stimulus spending brings the sum to $651.2 billion.[1][2] Defense-related expenditures outside of the Department of Defense constitute between $274 billion and $493 billion in additional spending, bringing the total for defense spending to between $925 billion and $1.14 trillion in 2009.

Hardly a drop in the bucket when you start doing the math on where the rest of the money goes.

Now don't get me wrong I'm not some tree hugging, flower picking hippy. I like the Military, I support the Military and the idea that in this day age we certainly need the Military. Its just that when I take a look at the big picture, I see a species of beings with some sorely misplaced ideals and priorities in this world.

I don't see CERN as a waste of time or money. How exciting would it be for us to figure out the fundamental forces that created our universe, our atoms, our structure, the "glue" that hold it all together so to speak, and in a span of time so mind boggling huge that our little minds could never truly comprehend.

We can either remain ignorant about these things or just begin to scratch the surface in a feeble attempt to learn, "all that there is to know".
I agree with what you said, but not everything you said. Confused? Don't be. As a 100% Bible believer, I think all we need to know about the Universe is that God created it, and it's "Good." As for pro athletes, I don't think they are worth all that money, either! Nor are the big name so-called "stars."
If one were to take into account all the ancillary expeditures of the military, one could readliy see that it includes medical evacuations for Americans overseas, and not just those in the Military, either. And the Corps of Engineers for all their water and land conservation efforts as well as building military and civilian structures, world wide. We may not build them, but we pay for them to be bult. And don't let me get started on the cost of flying our "president" and his family around, as well as the extra aircraft required for the media. Eek Every time Air Force One takes off with the "president," it's identical twin aircraft takes off, too. But, as I said, I agree with what you said! Big Grin
If God had wanted us to be ignorant, we would be walking around on all fours...
BTW....Is there a particular reason why you use quotes bracketing the word President..??
Gus (LC&P).