I need some help.
The layout shown below was my intention. The benchwork is all completed, backdrops are up etc.... But when I laid the plan out on the foam and visualized it. I wasn't happy with it. I want to keep the layout benchwork intact, holes in the walls are no issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

What I would like to see.
N - Scale
Era 1965-1972
Appalachian based coal road
Some switching to keep things intresting.
Decent mainline run.(double track is fine)
Enough room for scenery
Minimal hidden track.
Mostly coal trains,although some freight. And one RDC set.
Would like to include a small town scene.
no visable curves under 14" would be nice too.

Most of my locomotives are 4 axle, only 3 six axle units on the road.

Thanks for any help it is appreciated.
[albumimg]1500[/albumimg]
That light at the end of the Tunnel isn't heaven.........ITS A TRAIN!

My Railpictures.net Pictures
My Ramblings and Pictures
Can you be a bit more specific about what you don't like? Based on your drawing, it does meet all the points you listed... Is it the layout, the location of industries, town layout, elevation changes, tunnels, etc?

Andrew
This sketch was just a quick one showing the overall "plan". I had one drawn more properly and things just dont fit/look right once laid out on the foam. one of the factors that I dont like with this plan is if i keep it once around, even at a crawl it takes no time at all to get around. I also noticed the if turn a train in the reverse loop i have no way to re reverse it.

Trains Winnipeg Wrote:This sketch was just a quick one showing the overall "plan". I had one drawn more properly and things just dont fit/look right once laid out on the foam. one of the factors that I dont like with this plan is if i keep it once around, even at a crawl it takes no time at all to get around. I also noticed the if turn a train in the reverse loop i have no way to re reverse it.

If you replace the crossover at the top to make the transition from the yard in the upper left corner into a wye, you could turn trains there.
Quote:one of the factors that I dont like with this plan is if i keep it once around, even at a crawl it takes no time at all to get around.I also noticed the if turn a train in the reverse loop i have no way to re reverse it.
Is this correct for how the tracks connect?
[Image: track_plan.jpeg]
I've arbitrarily designated one loop, in red, as the "main" route. The blue "alternate" route isn't a return loop.
That's what is taking up space while not increasing the length of continuous run.
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!
I'm not seeing anything, did you post a picture?

Triplex posted an externally hosted jpg of your trackplan with the main loops in red and blue.

If it is correct, what you appear to have is a loop and a half - one part of the track basically doubles one side of your loop. And there is no reversing loop (except the somewhat complicated wye at the top).

If you start going "west" (i.e. to the left) in the town at the bottom of the plan -

Take the left leg through tunnel A. You loop around, joining back with the track closest to the aisle, going "south" through the short tunnel, and end up going west again in the town.

If you then take the right leg, you traverse what appears to be a folded "8" -- up over the short tunnel, loop at the "north" end, anad back south through the short tunnel into town again.

If you want to increase the apparent distance between scenes (town, industrial area (near the pipe) and the junction/yard, you need a twice around loop. Put "Town" and "Pipeville" each on their own loop and then hide the "through" trackage like you did with the tunnels.

Andrew
Here's the plan Triplex posted:

Andrew
Have you considered wideneing where the staging yard is to minimum size needed for a baloon loop utilizing one of the outer staging yard tracks, basicly a new end for a dog bone? Or possibly widening the staging area and making the layout a complete duck under.Staging meaning the 18 x 72 inch area.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Well here is a little more clean version of the basement plan and the benchwork thats built.
[albumimg]1590[/albumimg]

I don't think that's staging - looks like a working yard (though could use some improvement for that role).
Fan of late and early Conrail... also 40s-50s PRR, 70s ATSF, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, era 3/4 DB and DR, EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general... too many to list!
TW,

Some other (random) thoughts I hope are helpful...

How do you intend to operate the layout? Are you interested in having the empties in - loads out scheme for your coal trains, or will they just run through the scenery, with operations left to other trains? Will you be operating alone, or with a crew (or multiple crews)?

Is continuous run a "must have"? If yes, would you consider building across the opening (with a duckunder, gate, or liftout) from the 18x72 section to the 20x96 section? That would certainly help to keep the curves broad. How do you feel about point-to-point operations?

In terms of "expanding" the layout (or at least the feeling of distance), one thought is to have the yard in the other room where the town currently is. That way you will automatically get a feeling of distance from one operation to another. With the yard currently in the same room, the tail end of the train could possibly still be in the yard when the engine reaches the first industry.

Andrew
TW,

Have you made any progress?

Andrew
Well I have started to re-work the mainlines to give me more run time. Now the challenge is placing a few mines to switch and a yard somewhere...
[albumimg]1629[/albumimg]

And here is the cad file.

.xtc   ehs.xtc (Size: 40.21 KB / Downloads: 42)

In the spirit of Tony Koester's "Layout Design Elements", I would suggest that you take the loops of track as "pencilled in" only, and start working in the trackage needed for the various industries, yards and staging you want. Then (re)connect the mainline and see what you've got.

Are you intending to model both ends of the coal run? E.g. coal fired plant and coal mine. If so, do you want to use a loads-in-empties-out scheme with the industries back to back?

Andrew