Andrew's First Layout
Here is the construction thread for my son's very first layout. It's in N scale, and he's 5. A bit early for something so small, but I think he can handle it. He has always been ahead of the curve with regards to his fine motor skills & artistic ability. Plus, it'll be a great tool for teaching him responsibility, keeping his love of trains going strong, and it'll be fun for old Dad to build Wink . Enough jibber-jabber, here are two pictures of the benchwork, taken just this afternoon.

[albumimg]1586[/albumimg]

[albumimg]1587[/albumimg]

As you can see, the benchwork is a simple frame of 1x3s screwed together, with an MDF top glued & screwed in place. This fits down overtop an IKEA table we've had for about 8 years. It was our first dining room table, made for an apartment dweller. The top opens out to double in size, but in this case it'll stay folded over. It didn't really have a home in our current house so I'm glad to use it. Surface height is about 30". Dimensions of the benchwork are 26" x 42-3/4".

Up next, a track plan. Not sure when I can post that as I need some time to set it up when the kiddo is not around and I'm not at work. This will be a surprise from Santa, afterall. Well, Santa is providing the trains. He asked me to be his helper and build this layout. That's my Christmas present.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
With a removable top like that I wonder if the layout could be considered a dioramma? Cheers
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Hmmm....good question, Lynn. If that's the case, then my 4x6 HO layout may fit the same criteria. It's only resting on a rolling frame.

Portability will come in VERY handy on Xmas morning, when I set up the layout on our actual dining room table. The kiddo will come downstairs and find it there. Otherwise, his 1 year old brother may have at it. After Xmas it will live in Andrew's room, taking the place of his current wooden railway train table, a much larger setup.

I'm very excited to continue working on this. No doubt it'll be up and running by Xmas, but life (work) just gets in the way sometimes, making work sessions spread out.

I AM wondering, though, should I paint the layout first, or after I lay track? I'm thinking basic grass green to start. Ideas?

Galen
Depending what type of terrain it will have on the base I would probably go ahead and paint the base an earth color.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
I think that's just what I'll do. I'm sure he will want to 'decorate' the layout...gotta teach him all the right model train vocabulary like 'scenic', so just a basic coat of paint will work. Paint is quiet, so I can do that one at night after he's in bed. Filling the screw holes on top is quiet also. That'll be either Durhams or spackle.

Galen
[albumimg]1633[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1632[/albumimg]

Two images of the newly painted baseboard with track set in place. The two structures will come with the layout, although I may wrap them as a gift. We'll see.

Spackle & paint is quiet, as well as setting up the track & outlining with a sharpie, but tacking down roadbed is not. I'll need more time without the #1 kiddo in the house and #2 kiddo is not napping in order to pull that off. Once the roadbed & track have been laid, it'll be time to, er, break-in the trains and troubleshoot the layout. 2285_

Galen
Much better painted.
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
That looks like a ton-o-fun. Simplicity, but still something there to add some operational interest. I remember being a kid and getting bored when the trains just went in circles. When my uncle and I (a Royal "we" in the greatest sense) got around to adding a couple spurs and a siding to our little 4x8 empire it made things more interesting and fun.

I'm sure the kiddo well get a real kick out of it. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Galen, if you put the road bed down with construction adhesive instead of nails, it won't be noisy at all.
As it stands now, it is not gapped anywhere - just one single electric block. That's fine since he's only getting one locomotive.

Gapping & blocking the track may eventually happen. When that does, one train shoud be able to circle the main using the inner passing track, while the other sorts cars in the 'yard'. It may be worth adding a couple more spurs at that time to balance out the cars in the yard with spots on sidings, but that's still a long ways ahead. We'll see where he wants to go with it, what his interests are. At least with this setup he can try out some switching.

The two yard tracks are opposite facing the two spurs, so a runaround is necessary depending on what direction the train is running. Planning-wise, an actual runaround isn't necessary as long as there's a loop (essentially a runaround without turnouts). But for the reasons mentioned above, I figured it'd just be easier to build one into the plan.

Galen
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Galen, if you put the road bed down with construction adhesive instead of nails, it won't be noisy at all.

How will I hold it in place while the adhesive dries?

Galen
I use push pins to hold the roadbed while the adhesive (Yellow Elmer's Glue) dries, then use latex adhesive to glue the track to the roadbed. Works like a charm....
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:I use push pins to hold the roadbed while the adhesive (Yellow Elmer's Glue) dries, then use latex adhesive to glue the track to the roadbed. Works like a charm....

The baseboard is pretty dense mdf...I'll have to see how well it takes pins. If it's too dense, then adhesives would definately be the way to go, as I can forsee many bent track nails. But if not, well, then I'll have to decide. I think I have some liquid nails that has not yet been opened.

I'm not going to paint the track or balast. I'll leave that up to the kiddo (though I'll encourage him to do so at some point). Painting rail & balasting is something he'd probably do well.

Galen
Anything heavy will hold the road bed in place while the glue dries. Put some heavy books on it or bricks whatever you have that is heavy and flat. You could also use hot glue to hold the roadbed down.
Thanks for the good ideas, everybody! I will give it a try tonight or tomorrow morning, using glue or adhesive. I've already got the roadbed (Midwest N scale cork).

Galen