Inspiration
I have to agree with everyone else. It looks great! Thumbsup
Thank you all for the kind words.
Reinhard
I really like the modern building. The details like the fencing, the vents, and the security kiosk at the entrance really enhance the scene. Thumbsup
Ralph
Speaking as a former Floridian, I think it looks just fine...for South Carolina! Eek ...or coastal Georgia, or anywhere in Florida, not just in the south part of the state. Wink

My point being, that you don't have to stick to any particular state. What made me think lowlands Carolina or Geo. was the large trees. I'd call them live oaks or some other southern species of oak/poplar/etc. Also, CSX runs from Florida to Canada so anywhere on the East coast that fits the geography/terrain would work, not that you have to stick with that particular road name. FEC/ACL/Seaboard, and any of the other CSX predecessors have much more interesting paint schemes, IMHO. There are some nice regional rr's in FL and the South that look great as well and have been produced by Athearn. A CF7 in Florida Northern or Florida Central red & black would be neat.

As for the brick buildings, just wash them or dry brush with a lighter brick color such as Georgia Clay by Delta or something similar, or paint them. There are/were plenty of brick structures in the South, and variety adds realism.

Oh, and one more thing, could you change that backdrop image from "Pacific" to "Atlantic" or "Gulf"? That'd go far to set the area. Great modeling, looking forward to more!

Galen (grew up in Ocala, FL from 1980-1997)
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Galen,
thank you for the information. I did name it Florida due to the very light sand ground. I do not remember to find that kind of ground in the other coastal states on other location than at the beach. But may be my memories are incorrect. The other unique combination is the sand and the high level of ground water in Florida. Only with so much water strong vegetation is possible in sandy ground. Otherwise it would look like the west. However, yes it is not the south of Florida. There are no palms.
I did not remove the brick background buildings due to Florida but due to the location. I found new industrial parks remote from older buildings in new established areas. Therefor no brick buildings.
But I would feel comfortable if the layout is in southern Georgia or Carolina located. My wife and I have been very often in that area and love it!

The railroad I choose has a hidden reason... I do not have very good eyes and my fingers are somewhat clumsy but my ears are very good. Therefor only very few engines sound good to me. That are mostly Atlas and some P2K engines. I got some Athearn CF-7 (from Indiana RR) and replaced the motor with one from A-Line. But it is still not a nice engine compared to Atlas engines. I had GP 38-2 and MP15DC from Atlas in the cabined. Also two nice running GP 38-2 from P2K are already in the house. The new Athearn SW1500 with a totally new motor is also nice running and available from CSX and on order. That is the hidden agenda of CSX Big Grin

But I did a change during the weekend. I did ask in an US forum focusing on prototype operation if it is realistic to have a dedicated switcher with an engine shed for a small industry park switching operation. I had serious doubt. It is not prototypical for the CSX and other main lines at all. There may be some left on short lines but in general the engine of the local freight train has to do the switching. So the engine shed is gone and an tank car unloading station for an other industry is under construction.

ps. The Pacific Pipe Company is a fast growing business and just opened it's first branch in the east.
Reinhard
Quote:ps. The Pacific Pipe Company is a fast growing business and just opened it's first branch in the east.

Thumbsup Very good rationale all around! Thanks for the good explanation. Cheers

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
As I mentioned some days ago the engine shed was not the right thing for this kind of layout and has been removed. It became replaced by a tank car unloading dock as part of an industry in the off. A fence is the next thing to add.
[Image: Imgp3939.jpg]

On the right hand (west side) the last lot has been vacant. A new owner has been found and a simple building has been erected quickly. The building has no loading dock but a forklift is available on the yard.
[Image: Imgp3940.jpg]

ps. Please note the snow on the roof of the house in the background. It's a good reason to model the deep south east Thumbsup
Reinhard
Some good ideas and creative solutions to servicing industries on your layout.

Your use of the tank unloading dock looks like a great way to generate more traffic for operational interest. Also, I like the forklift idea as a vehicle for unloading or loading product into rolling stock. Great ways to expand without actually increasing the physical foot print of your layout. Thumbsup
As Shane has noted, a good way to generate traffic and an efficient use of layout real estate. Thumbsup Thumbsup You might want to add a simple concrete loading dock for that forklift, though, as its "reach" into a car will otherwise be rather limited.

The simple one shown below was built from .060" sheet styrene - yours wouldn't need to be as long, but you would need to include a ramp, as shown, on at least one end.
[Image: Foe-toesfromTrainPhotos2007third-16.jpg]

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:... You might want to add a simple concrete loading dock for that forklift, though, as its "reach" into a car will otherwise be rather limited. ...
I did not think about the reach of a forklift into a boxcar. Very good point, will be implemented soon.
Thank you.
Reinhard
faraway Wrote:tank car unloading dock

no loading dock but a forklift is available on the yard.

Good ideas - and excellent work!

Smile,
Stein
I love tank cars, so it is no surprise when I say that the tank car unloading dock is a great idea Goldth . BTW, who made your two beautiful white tank cars?
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:I love tank cars, so it is no surprise when I say that the tank car unloading dock is a great idea Goldth . BTW, who made your two beautiful white tank cars?
Kurt, they are from Athearn RTR 16,000 Gallon Clay Slurry Tank. Here is the link to the item in the RD online store http://www.rd-hobby.de/shopping/catalog....item=14739 as a possible German source.
Reinhard
I really am enjoying this layout build, very nice work!

Dave
-Dave
faraway Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote:I did not think about the reach of a forklift into a boxcar. Very good point, will be implemented soon.

Here's a pic of a prototype ramp:

[Image: tangreenbuilding01.jpg]
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times