Inspiration
Gary S Wrote:...Here's a pic of a prototype ramp...

Yepp, that's what I have to do this weekend. Thanks a lot
Reinhard
You're welcome.

If you would be interested, I can get plenty of photos of two existing industrial parks served by rail. Around 30 industries with spurs. I have already posted a few in the "Industries" forum.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:You're welcome.

If you would be interested, I can get plenty of photos of two existing industrial parks served by rail. Around 30 industries with spurs. I have already posted a few in the "Industries" forum.
Hallo Gary,
oh yes, I would like to see the photos. Can you put them on a server for viewing and may be downloading?
Reinhard
Reinhard, thank you for the information on your tank cars. looks like I got to get some of these Athearn RTRs.

Gary, I back Reinhard’s plea to show us more photos of those industrial parks. You rarely find pictures like yours and they are a big inspiration and help for modeling.
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:Gary, I back reinhards plea to show us more photos of those industrial parks. You rarely find pictures like yours and they are a big inspiration and help for modeling.

I agree. Btw - based on the place name clues Gary has mentioned (Hobby Airport and Mykawa West), I guess from a quick google that we are talking about Houston, TX.

Mykawa West is probably the area west of Mykawa Road, between Mykawa Road and Crestmon, north of Bellfort Avenue. Call it the area around Kirbyville Street, Houston, TX.

Map coordinates for street view in google: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s...07.49,,0,5

Map coordinates for Bird's eye view on bing: http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9eXAuS2lyYn...c4NDAxNTc=

But seeing photos of these buildings from places like parking lots or back yards is an unique opportunity - so please post some more pictures, Gary!

Smile,
Stein
Stein, I just followed your links. The Bing map just showed a birds eye view, but the Google map was a street view with the ability to turn around and see 360 degrees at street level. COOL!!
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Stein, I just followed your links. The Bing map just showed a birds eye view, but the Google map was a street view with the ability to turn around and see 360 degrees at street level. COOL!!

They are pretty neat complements to each other. Bing's bird eye view allows you to view the scene from four directions, zoom in a little and drag the aerial photos around - gives a pretty good 45 degree down view of how the tracks run, and an overview of how the industries are laid out.

Google's street view allows you to go down some streets, see facades of buildings etc. But only from the road side, not from the backside, where the railroad tracks usually are. Pretty neat to place yourself at a RR crossing and look up and down the track, though.

But photos taken from an observer on the ground, who can walk into parking lots and take ground level pictures of the back side of buildings is a third thing - everything combined gives you a superb modeling goal.

Anyways - sorry about more or less hijacking Reinhard's thread. Let's get back to see some more pictures of his beautiful layout !

Smile,
Stein
One more moment of hi-jacking....

I'll definitely get more pics for the folks who are interested. I have some that I took awhile back, and i will go take more if anyone sees something that they want more pictures of, or more detail of.

I have already posted a few of the industries in the "Industries" forum. I plan to get them all posted on there, it just will take a bit of time. And the next 3 days I will be almost exclusively working on the layout building.

Hi-jacking over. Smile
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:One more moment of hi-jacking....
Gary, you are welcome. We are all staring into the industry forum for the photos Big Grin
Reinhard
The new industry in the west corner got the loading dock for the fork lift to drive into the car.
[Image: Imgp3943.jpg]

and I got the switch stands. I've selected this little beasts http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/255-80301 as I never had low ones with "ears", thay fit into the prototype and I like the price for two of them. They need to be assembled and painted. Main track have been painted red/green (two in the front), sidings are yellow/green (two in the back). I do like this very modern switch stand too http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/525-1918 but did you see the price, I would need 18... :o
[Image: Imgp3944.jpg]
Reinhard
That's a beautiful ramp and some good looking switch targets!

Smile,
Stein
Reinhard, I love that scene with your new warehouse and the ramp for the forklift. Well done Thumbsup .
Kurt
Just keeps getting better and better! Nice warehouse and some great looking trackwork!! Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
The new loading ramp is a great little scene. Nice job on the pavement in that area and the seamless transition for the ramp. The switch stands are fantastic!
Ralph
Reminds me of the Pureland Industrial Park in Bridgeport, NJ, everything is mostly very clean, well done.

Bruce