Bar Mills - Saulena's Tavern
[Image: TWPtavern-6.png]

This was my first "craftsman" level kit, and it was a whopper. Saulena's Tavern was also one of the earlier Bar Mills kits, so the instructions are extremely lousy. It took me about a week to build this kit (off and on) and while frustrating at times, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. I made some of the signs myself, and I also made the awnings since the ones in the kit had a funky yellow color on them.

Building the stairs was the most difficult and time consuming part, since each tread is an individual piece that must be aligned and glued in place. Yes...I'm serious. In N scale, these are some very tiny parts that made me want to Wallbang and Curse

There's always room for improvement, but I'm very happy with my results. From 6" away, the building looks flawless...and for N scale, I can't ask for much better than that. I picked up this kit at a train show for $10, but I believe it retails in the $40 - $50 range. Even at that price, it's worth it. This was an excellent kit and I look forward to my next Bar Mills project, the Majestic Hardware.
Tony
A work of art, and adaptable to a number of different businesses. Very well done! Thumbsup
Beautiful work! I'm always so impressed by people who have the patience and small motor skills to assemble things like N scale stair steps! A terrific looking building!

Ralph
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Ralph Wrote:I'm always so impressed by people who have the patience...

Want to know my definition of patience? In that split-second before you are ready to snap and throw the thing against the wall, patience is knowing when it's time to walk away for a shot of Vodka and try again later.
Icon_lol
Tony
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Sounds right!
You did a terrific job, no pictures as you were building though? I have a few more Bar Mills kits on the agenda and like you said the older original ones do have instructions that are very difficult to follow.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
You did a great job on that building! Thumbsup Nice to see it in N Scale. We have one done by a club member, but it is O Scale, much easier to build. Here is a picture of ithttp://colorcountrytrains.org/gallery/d/713-1/5b.jpg
Scott
My first thought is just like everyone else's... That's N scale??? Wow, fantastic! itty bitty tiny parts that I would have trouble even seeing!

Great job.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
If it were me, I'd've probably skipped the stairs and either had the door to nowhere or converted it to a window. Kudos!
A fantastic build Anthony. Congratulations. Cheers
Not only a "first" craftsman kit for you, but in "N" scale as well. It looks very professional, especially with the closeup camera shot which usually shows all the little imperfections we don't notice with the naked eye.

I have the majestic hardware kit as well, but keep postponing the build until I get a bit better at the art... I think it might be a while. Wallbang
Apart from the frustrations every now and again, did you enjoy the build?
Could be the start of the next addiction. Goldth

I hope you post progress pics when you build the majestic Hardware, purely selfish reasons of course. I want to know how to go about it before I start.. No pressure of course. 357

Jack 219
LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy
I have to agree with the others, a great looking structure. One big problem with N scale is that things can look great with the eye, but the camera picks up just the slightest defect it can find. You have none and your picture reflects that. Great job. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
"...very happy" you say? With a result like that, you've got the right to be more than very happy! The time you took on the steps and getting the seams right really show. I think you did a great job...my compliments for working on a project like that in what is a tough medium for Nscale. I haven't taken the laser/wood plunge yet - still working on plastic DPM kits trying to get them right - so my hat's off to 'ya for really turning out a good looking building.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Great first try at a wood craftsman kit....
My first(and last) got me all frustrated and ened up in the trash.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
That's one niffty building, and it turned out great..!!! I assumed it was HO, but when you mentioned N, I was flabbergasted.... Eek Double the kudos for 1/2 the size..!!! Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Cheers Excellent job, Tony. Thumbsup Thumbsup I too forgot that I was looking at N scale.

Wayne