Connectivity
In HO, I used a CMX clean machine and sometimes Labelle oil on my rails and I had very good conduction. All my engines were Atlas master gold.

Now in N, I am having issues with stalls and poor conductivity with my Atlas engine. Is this a common problem in N? In HO, there were wires running to the trucks, now in N I have these copper contacts. One of my engines is Proto 1000 and it works very well. My other engine is Atlas and I really don't think that both trucks are always getting power. I bought a CMX N clean machine, but it doesn't seem to work as well as the HO one. Thoughts, suggestions?
"You did NOT cut a hole in the wall for the train, did you?" - the wife
The Waynesburg Southern
Blue Mountain Aerial Mapping
Wow, here's a question that slipped through the cracks somehow. Sorry 'bout that.

It is my opinion that the smaller the scale, the more finicky they become with electrical contact. I can throw a shovel load of dirt across the track ouside on my G scale layout and the darn thing will plow right through with hardly a second thought. My N scale however, requires much cleaner operation. The only thing I've ever used to clean my track though is something similar to a Bright Boy. It looks just like a Bright Boy but not as abrasive as it's more like an eraser but made specifically for cleaning track.
I don't have any experience with N, but I assume that "the lighter the engine, the poorer the electrical contact with the track." And this would lead to "teh smaller the scale, the cleaner the track needs to be."

In the January 2003 issue of MR, page 96, there is a short article about using silver polish on the railheads. The author suggests either FLITZ metal polish or MAAS polishing creme. I have not tried it yet, but plan to once I am back in running mode.

Has anyone tried the silver polish? Maybe that would help with the N scale problem?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I don't think I can get the rails much cleaner. And why would one engine work better than the other? I think my big question was on the contacts on the engines. Would it be worth my while to remove the contacts and solder some wires?

I've read some things about certain products that if you put them on the rails causes "arcing" that leaves more residue than you started with. The labelle oil worked pretty good on my HO, but doesn't seem to help here.

Thanks.
The Waynesburg Southern
I'd look at the metal electrical pick-up taps on the engines and clean them if needed. Seems to me that after a few months, those metal strips can be dirty enough to affect engine electrical conductivity. I have some 600 grit sand paper that I lightly rub over the metal strips to clean them up, but I don't know if that is the best thing I should use or not. A polishing cream would probably be a better choice I suppose.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Have you cleaned the wheels lately? An easy way of doing this is by using something like the Tsugawa Yokou wheel cleaner. Also check the wiper contacts on the wheels and the motor contacts. Use a fibreglass pencil for cleaning those and then wipe clean with a little Isopropyl alcohol.
How old is that Atlas loco? I have 3 older Atlas Alcos (2 RS11's and an RS3), and they don't pick up on all 8 wheels, only on opposite corners. The non-pickup sides have traction tires. That could be part of your problem.
I myself have been running a intermountain f3 and 2 bachmann 4-8-2's seems to me that the f3 has not a problem 1 4-8-2 spits and sputters while the othe runs without much of a problem. I have took a pice of road cork and ran that around the track and works good for me.
Harry Check out my blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/">http://newyorkontariowestern.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
I am ballasting now, so I'm not going to be able to see how much worse it is until I get that done and the track cleaned up. I was excited to get a six-axle diesel especially because I wasn't sure how well it would take the tight turns. Turns out the tight turns weren't an issue.
The Waynesburg Southern
Yes . . .

Although I am a newbie (and am not really qualified to give advice), from what I have been researching I must agree with Gary S and TrainNut

It seems that the smaller the scale, the more careful you have to be in keeping your track clean, and all connections secure.

Joefryfry, I have been avidly following your thread and admire your efforts! Cheers I can now understand why you may be having problems going from HO to N.

I have read from a Z scale site that the most serious problem is keeping track/locomotive wheels clean.

All best,
Joe
"I've got my facts pretty clear . . . all I want now is to know what they all mean."