Poll: What would you do?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Single brackets at ~50"
8.70%
2 8.70%
Adjustable brackets (any height)
43.48%
10 43.48%
On top of shelving units (any height)
8.70%
2 8.70%
Yes, put shelves above
21.74%
5 21.74%
No, don't put shelves above
17.39%
4 17.39%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What would you do?
Here's the plan... Finally received tentative approval for this! Wink Final approval depends on how it is attached to the wall.

[album]1803[/album]

I was thinking about brackets, but could also simply place the modules on top of shelving units at an appropriate height. Since I belong to <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.HOTrak.ca">www.HOTrak.ca</a><!-- w --> (a modular club) these have to make about 1/2 dozen trips per year out of the house, so permanent mounting is not possible.

Here are my options:

1) Single brackets mounted at ~50" (constrained by wall structure) gives overall height to the railhead of about 60". Easily visible, but not so easy to work on. Ceiling height in this part of the basement is about 6'6" due to being under the sunken living room.

2) Adjustable brackets (channel brackets?) would allow any height to be chosen, plus easily give the option of having shelves above the layout for storage, to mount lighting, etc.

3) Directly on shelves. This option requires investment in additional shelving, but with a little bit of sawing also allows any height.

Due to the options, you can vote for more than one thing. Please indicate the method of supporting the modules, and then indicate whether shelves above is a good idea...!

Thanks for your feedback!

Andrew
It's hard to get an idea with out actually seeing the room. Any chance you have a picture of the proposed real estate location? 35

I think I would go with option two at this point. Have the brackets adjustable allows for more versatility. You can lower the height if you want to work on it and move it up and out of the way if you need to.

Your "pending approval" comment kinda reminded me of my approach when I decided to start mine. Except, I just kinda started building it without really getting a go ahead...better to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission I always say!
I'll try to find a pic, or take one later. Thanks for the feedback!

Andrew
Here's my thoughts based on past experiences.I like the 50" view even tho' I'm 5'7".IMHO its about right for operations on ISLs since its near ground level.It also give the illusion of distance.Of course this height isn't for everybody.I also perfer the old fashion 12- 14" "L" wall bracket.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
I put heavy duty metal shelving brackets at each stud around three walls in the train room. They are 15'' out from the wall and 15'' down the wall with 2 wood screws each directly into the studs and 2 screws each into the benchwork. The benchwork was built by a cabinet maker friend of mine that are basically 2 'L' shaped shelves 5 1/2 ft on the short end, meeting in the middle and 8 ft on the long ends. It is more than strong enough.
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
I have my "layout" on heavy-duty metal garage shelving I bought from Lowes. I believe I paid about $60 per unit, and each unit gives me two four-foot stands for my layout; I have four stands up in all, and my layout is a 12'x4' L.

By far the best benefit of having this setup is the minimal construction required - just a rubber mallet and some patience. Also, living in an apartment, the additional storage of the shelves below is priceless - I can keep all of my hobby stuff on them and out of the way. Also, the shelves are adjustable so I can fit almost anything under the layout. Plus when I move to a more permanent location I can relegate these shelves to storage duty in the garage, so for me it was a sound investment.

Cost is the obvious downfall of this setup though. The metal feet of the shelves also tend to indent/crease the carpet, so I put strips of wood underneath them to distribute the weight a little better.

Just some of my experience with shelving units.

- Dan
Whatever She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed said I could do. Big Grin
Are those appliances under neath the layout? I've never cared for the wall mounted brackets. I've used them in the past for book shelves, but they seemed awfully flexible to me. I like to build brackets out of wood and anchor them into studs with lag bolts, but I'm not sure what the room is or if it needs to look like something besides a layout/hobby room.
Andrew, I am partial to the adjustable brackets, because that is what I use and they serve well. Now, did you say the layout height would be 60 inches? That is up there! How tall are you?

Myself, being 76 inches tall, like a nice high layout. But I am going to put the top of the layout at 56" in the new building, mainly so others can have a better view.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Andrew:
My layout is on IKEA shelving, with L girders keeping it in place. It's a bit high, but I need the shelves underneath.

I don't like shelves above the layout, just my feeling.
If you were going for the extra shelves, I would suggest the adjustable shelf brackets.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far. I will get that photo of the room as it currently is to give you all a better idea.

Andrew
The adjustable brackets gives you the best flexibility.
Will Annand
CVR in N Scale
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html">www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html</a><!-- w -->
Thanks again for the feedback.

Here's a bit more info and two photos showing the room "before", or at least only part-way to "after". The ceiling for all intents and purposes is 6'7". The walls are finished only on the top portion, leaving 32" of bare wall below the drywall. For some reason, the framing of the wall runs horizontally, leaving me with only one solid option for attaching brackets at 55" above the floor. By the time the module is added, it will be about 60" (5 feet) from floor to railhead.

This photo shows the corner where the modules will be located. It's 10 feet from the water pipe to the corner. The shelves will be cut down to fit under the modules, regardless of which brackets I choose. The white splotches along the wall mark the horizontal framing of the finished part of the wall at ~55" above the floor.

[albumimg]1808[/albumimg]

This photo shows the corner that currently houses my desk. To the right you can see the end of the long built-in bench. The modules will occupy about 12 feet of this wall, so will likely end up over the desk, which is another consideration for the height of installation. You can also see the two 4-foot modules that will make up the corner standing on their ends. The stuff on the floor will be sorted and put back on the shelves under the layout and/or tossed (at least that's the plan Wink ).

[albumimg]1809[/albumimg]

More comments, questions, suggestions all welcome!

Andrew
Andrew, Don't bother with brackets. Just cut those shelves down to fit the height of your modules and mount the modules directly on the shelves. The legs on the ends of those shelves will easily support the modules.
Andrew, I know you do not want to mount the modules, but if you cut the shelves down, mount them to the wall and make the top shelve the width of the modules, then they will sit securely.
Will Annand
CVR in N Scale
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html">www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Home.html</a><!-- w -->