Backdrop Height - your thoughts wanted
doctorwayne Wrote:I wonder what kind of shadows your lights will make shining through from the opposite side of the peninsula?

Definitely something to think about. I made a rough sketch and the top of the backdrop should block any light from hitting any of the layout from behind. Another consideration is the effect of the light on the other side "shining in the eyes" of someone on this side. Hmmm....

doctorwayne Wrote:As for finishing the walls beneath the layout, one thing to consider is the use of that below-layout space. Much of my below-layout space is occupied by heavy-duty shelves (3/8" plywood on 2"x4" framing, 16"o/c) and used for storing all sorts of stuff

Underneath the interchange yards, I want to have drawers to store all my rollingstock. That would be on the outside walls. Other than that, I would put shelves like yours, although using the same wall bracket rails which are holding up the layout. I may even put some type of cabinets/drawers in a few locations for storage and to give a "finished" look to it. Your idea of sliding doors is a good one. Any cabinets would have to be removable because there is a lot of wiring for my uncoupling electromagnet mechanisms and the manual switch throws that I use.... would need access occasionally.

doctorwayne Wrote:Another consideration, and not just on the peninsula wall, is electrical outlets. I have several of them throughout the layout room, all currently located on the wall under the layout. The original plan (approved by the electrical inspector) is to locate new receptacles below the layout facia, fastened to the face of the top member supporting the benchwork, as shown below.

Thanks for that good idea. As detailed in the WOOHOO thread, I am following your lead on this one.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times