Mountain King Potatoes
Another industry in the Hobby Industrial park. Bulk potatoes in from Colorado, bagged potatoes shipped out by truck, and possibly by rail, although I have never seen any boxcars sitting at the doors on the spur. They also load potatoes in bulk onto trailers, I guess fro delivery to Farmer's Markets and grocery stores.

I've seen them unloading potatoes from the reefers before. The potatoes are in the reefers in bulk, not in boxes or anything, just a reefer full of potatoes. They put the unloading ramp (the equipment between the reefers) up to the door, open it, and flood the car with water essentially washing the potatoes out into a trough and somehow from there they end up in the building. Then an employee gets in with a scoop and helps any stragglers on out of the reefer. Notice the pond at the side of the building, I suppose this is the washout water... it takes alot to flood the potatoes out of the cars.

The machinery that is near the road in the photos is what they use to load potatoes onto the trailers.

Here is their logo from their website. I hope it is okay to put the link in an IMG window so it shows up in this post:

Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times

Now there's a very interesting industry...

I think kitbashing 2 PikeStuff's "Tri Star Industries" or "Pre-Fabricated Warehouse" would be a good stand in..The unloading devices could be stratchbuilt using Plastruct plastic shapes.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
So many buildings crying out to be kitbashed and scratchbuilt....

I found a plastics supplier that sells 4 foot x 8 foot sytrene sheet in various thicknesses. The .060 sheets are $22 for 32 square feet = 69 cents a square foot. The little 1 foot x 2 foot sheets at the hobby shop are around $5 each, or $2.50 a square foot.

Now I need to find bulk plastic sheet that models brick, cinder block, and corrugated metal. Anyone know where to get that stuff for a cheap price?
Gary S Wrote:So many buildings crying out to be kitbashed and scratchbuilt....

I found a plastics supplier that sells 4 foot x 8 foot sytrene sheet in various thicknesses. The .060 sheets are $22 for 32 square feet = 69 cents a square foot. The little 1 foot x 2 foot sheets at the hobby shop are around $5 each, or $2.50 a square foot.

Now I need to find bulk plastic sheet that models brick, cinder block, and corrugated metal. Anyone know where to get that stuff for a cheap price?

Gary,That would be the best way to go since you could scatchbuild several buildings from 1 4x8' sheet... Thumbsup

However,if one is all thumbs when it comes to scratchbuilding like I am then our best hope is to kitbash. :o
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
ooooo sweet industry Gary! Im liking the front of that structure with all those truck docks Misngth Misngth But I also like the rear with the unloading of the boxcars! Nice industry to have on an island of a layout so you could model both sides and be able to see both sides from all around Misngth

Bookmarked for future reference Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
[Image: potatoes.gif]

Icon_lol
tetters Wrote:[Image: potatoes.gif]

Icon_lol

You say po-tay-toes, she says po-tah-toes. Icon_lol Misngth Icon_lol Misngth

Wayne
We have a farmer not too far from where we live, that puts up a sign by the road that just says " 'maters an' 'taters." Works for me!! Misngth
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"