Canadian Signal Indications
I posted this on the old forum.
These are pages out of the previous edition of the Canadian Rules book, I think from just after the end of steam. Each indication has a rule number and employees are expected to know them.
As an example of ingenuity, if a bulb is burned out the signal must be interpreted at its most restricting possibility; I think this means assuming the bulb is red.

Note that the signals say nothing about routes; only about speeds. Some indications can be given with 1, 2, or 3 signal heads while others require all 3. Rules with 2 or 3 heads are usually at interlockings or yard approaches. 2 heads on the same side of the post are interlocking while 2 on opposite sides are block signals. (but see rules 287 and 288)
Also note the rules with letters on plates on the posts.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Interesting how the combinations with red rarely mean stop completely... Confusedhock:

Andrew
Notice the penciled-in numbers under the rule numbers? Those are the special Quebec rules.

For instance, Rule 292, which is Stop in English-speaking Canada, is Rule 429 in Quebec - WWT....

... Whoa! Whoa! Tabernac!
Icon_lol
MasonJar Wrote:Interesting how the combinations with red rarely mean stop completely... Confusedhock:
Andrew

I agree ... that's what I was thinking.

This is helpful but it still seems a complicated mixture of colours. My son & I often see such signals as these (when we're out railfanning) and wonder how to interpret them.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
The pencilled in numbers are from the current rule book as shown in the Canadian Trackside Guide.
The only full stop is the all red interlocking signal. When you come to a crossing or a switch that's against you, you stop. The others let you proceed, usually after stopping, at a very slow speed.
The current rules as given in the Trackside Guide seem to have the same meanings but some of the words are different. (I use this version as I don't think anyone will care about copyright issues.) There are a few new ones.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Squidbait Wrote:Notice the penciled-in numbers under the rule numbers? Those are the special Quebec rules.

For instance, Rule 292, which is Stop in English-speaking Canada, is Rule 429 in Quebec - WWT....

... Whoa! Whoa! Tabernac!
Icon_lol

I realize this is an old thread and this has really already been addressed, but should be stressed anyway, but no, that's definately incorrect.
There are not different sets of rules in Quebec and the rest of Canada. ALL of Canada uses the same rulebook.

The scanned pages above are from the old 1962 Uniform Code of Operating Rules (UCOR) which were was the rulebook in use until replaced by the new (current) Canadian Railway Operating Rules (CROR) in the early 1990s.

The 400-series numbers that have been pencilled in are the CROR rules for the equivalent indications.

CROR also includes several other indications not existing in the UCOR, and a few have been slightly renamed in the new rulebook. Both the additional indications and the slightly different naming conventions are inherited from CN practices; I have a CN 1979 employee's timetable that includes most of the added indications, and also uses the different naming.

*It should be noted though that the while the rule numbers and some of the names are slightly different between the UCOR and CROR, all of the meanings are unchanged.*