Bonus Room Shelf Layout
No, the tracks will remain in their current configuration. I spent alot of time (too much, perhaps) thinking about the track arrangement there in order to maximize the space available without overcrowding it, as well as keep the curves pleasing. I think I was trying to include too many trackside industries, the intent being to include as many car spots as possible. However I'll still get the same # of cars out of Pinto using that back track as the BTLC interchange siding, possibly more without the grade crossing. I should be able to get three 40' cars comfortably on that siding whereas before it was only two.

I take great inspiration from O. Winston Link's photos of the Abingdon Branch, along with FSA photos of Appalachia during the depression. One thing I notice about each is the spaciousness around the tracks. That can be hard to do when space is at a premium so I am striving to strike a balance between compression and authenticity. I don't want it to look over crowded but I want to get the most operating potential out of each track in my small space.

I will probably build the station and freight house before getting to any other structures in the scene so the forced-perspective stuff will be pushed back (no pun intended) for a while. The backdrop will be the next step in layout construction. It is 'scheduled' work, so it does not fit into the procrastinator contest mold. That's a nice thing about budgeting hobby cash - it kinda builds in a schedule to the work and adds a little procrastinating time so you don't have to. Even if I jump on the work right away, I'd still have to wait until the next month to purchase lumber, track, etc. to continue. Once benchwork is in and track is laid, I'll have no excuses and will have to get busy on that backlog of kits!!!

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Sounds like a good plan. I like the interchange with the lumber company. I also like your "built-in" procastination mode of operation - a ready-made excuse for not doing stuff now. Misngth
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Been dreaming about scenery changes for Pinto, as mentioned above in the previous recent posts. Also did a little switching in the new 'configuration', without the grade crossing through town as drawn on the previous photo. I had thought keeping the street unblocked would be a nice addition/challenge for switching Pinto. In fact, it was too much of a challenge and made the trackage seem cramped and unrealistically shortened. A longer passenger station platform will look nice, I think, and the Freight Station and Produce shed across the track will still have a street access, just not between them - which had the effect of shoving them against the track and end of layout.

All of this is, of course, in my head (and sketched in pencil on the layout surface). I'm just visualizing the structures and scenery as I shunt cars around the tracks. And it may not mean much to someone reading along here without a nice diagram or photo. Sorry about that. Even so, I'm sharing it as progress just because it's all part of the planning process. I think this work will pay off later for op sessions. Gauging the level of challenge for a particular switch job is important.

This is also fresh in the front of my mind after the two op sessions I attended yesterday. I spent the morning switching cars at a paper mill on a great N scale layout and the afternoon running various switch jobs on an HO layout. I won't go into the details here, but both settings were tremendous learning experiences. The morning layout was more enjoyable than the afternoon for reasons I'm getting at in this post. It is clear that the first person spent a great deal of time thinking ahead and planning out car spots, train lengths, operator arm reach, etc. while the second probably did not, or may not have actually spent as much time playing out the operating scenarios.

OR it could be that the directions just weren't as clear. That's a factor I'm also considering. Are the car spots obvious? Will labels work? What about structure signage? Diagrams? Etc. I'm pretty sure the structures and scenery themselves will turn out just fine, as I have a good artistic sense for these elements. All this operating I've been doing recently has got me thinking about the functionality of the scene as well.

Thanks for reading,

Galen
Always interested in thoughts on operations, and it sounds like you have been doing alot of thinking. Plus, it is great that you get the chance to operate on other layouts to help with your thought process. If you run across anything profound, be sure to let us know! Smile
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
More 'ops' thoughts:

You may want to refer to the layout diagram on pg. 6 of this thread.

I'm enjoying thinking about train ops on what will probably be named the 'Emerson Branch' of the Ocali Creek Ry, AND losing weight. I walk a gravel path out behind my office and if I go 20 minutes at a brisk pace that's roughly a mile. If I keep doing as I have, I should be losing more weight. Finally. Anyway, all this walking gives me time to think & dream about the layout and what sort of trains I"ll run.

A morning milk & mail will run from staging to Watson, after stopping at Andrews along the way, then a geared engine will take over and shove the consist up the line to Pinto while the rod engine is serviced for the return trip.

A scheduled freight runs direct from Staging to Watson without stopping at Andrews. This train basically delivers cars for interchange with the BTLC and any reefers or stock cars headed for Pinto. Again, geared power is called at Watson to deliver these cars up the hill to Pinto. Unlike the passenger, however, this freight takes whats in the 'yard' at Watson and heads back to staging.

A shifter or picker local freight leaves staging and works all the sidings in Andrews and Watson. It may or may not include any additional freight for Pinto depending on how much work it has to do along the way.

There will most likely be a second freight run up to Pinto to retreive any loaded reefers or stock cars so they don't sit around. I model in a period where ice melts and hooves need to rest so those loads become priority. A switch engine at Watson will handle sorting cars and making up/breaking down trains.

Naturally there'd be an afternoon scheduled freight and an afternoon passenger train. Any extra work might include a work train, business inspection train or freight extras for the BTLC if lumber products are in demand.

I kinda feel like I'm stretching all this a bit but I don't want the operations to feel too contrived or forced. And this is all still in my head since only staging and Pinto have tracks, and they aren't connected yet! I could limit/reduce the number of cars on the railroad and run one mixed train to work the whole line to Watson and a geared job to take the lot to Pinto and back and be content all on my own, but I'd like to utilize as many different steamers as possible.

Okay you operations minded readers...what do you think? Am I missing something or can you see any additional opportunities to add jobs?

Galen
Galen, did you make any progress on your backdrop? A backdrop is high up on my to-do list, too, and I am very interested to see how you are doing yours.
Kurt
cnw1961 Wrote:Galen, did you make any progress on your backdrop? A backdrop is high up on my to-do list, too, and I am very interested to see how you are doing yours.

My friend with a table saw helped me cut the 4'x8' sheets into 2'x8' panels. They're currently sitting in my garage along with the 1"x2" furring strips that'll be framing for the backdrop. When I get around to building the backdrop, I'll be attaching the 2' high panels to a single horizontal furring strip along the complete top edge of the backdrop, and as many vertical strips as necessary to prevent the backdrop from bowing or warping between the layout shelf bracket uprights. I will not be coving the corners, but I will be taping and spackling the joints between sheets. One wall is 7' so no joint to worry about there except the corner. The other full-height wall is 10' so one joint plus the corner, and the third wall is 9' plus the backdrop ducks beneath a window (we don't cover windows in the Pacific Northwest unless absolutely necessary...I want the natural sunlight when it occurs more than I want a continuous backdrop) so some cutting there and another joint. The panels/framing will be screwed to the wall on studs if possible with screws countersunk and covered with spackle. That's the plan, at least!

The layout construction (and my EOY challenge) has taken a back seat to a kitbashing project for MR's lineside structure kitbash contest. The entry deadline is November 30, so there'll still be time for the EOY challenge after my entry is complete...if I get it done in time. Kinda got a late start since I don't subscribe to MR and only noticed the contest announcement a few weeks ago when I checked out the September issue from my public library. Hopefully I'll get it done and get published!

However, I may build one section of backdrop to go behind the layout where the structures will be planted (Pinto) to give it a more polished look. If not, a piece of blue poster board I've been using for my photo backdrop will have to stand-in.

Galen
Galen, thank you for the information on your backdrop. I think I will take the same route.
Kurt
UPDATE:

I am pleased to share that my article on modified turnout controls has been accepted for publication by Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine. This is a feature of the layout I've been dying to share but have not since I wrote it up and submitted it to MRH. I don't have a definate date for publication but it may be late winter/early spring...I'll be sure to let y'all know when its out.

The reason I'm making this announcement here in this thread is that the area I used as the subject for the article is Pinto.

Currently I'm finishing up a structure kitbash that is likewise being documented so no photos there either. It's all a bit frustrating since I'm making good progress and want to share a more immediate update, however I also like the paycheck I received and am looking forward to being published. Don't fret, though, since once the structures are finished I'll be back to the steam engine project and can post pics of that work, AND I'll be installing the backdrop over the Xmas holiday and will post progress of that work here in this thread.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Galen
Congratulations on the acceptance of your article for publication, Galen. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne
ocalicreek Wrote:... I am pleased to share that my article on modified turnout controls has been accepted for publication by Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine...
Congratulations Cheers
Reinhard
Galen,

Congragulations on getting your article accepted to MRH!!!
Out of curiosity how long did it take for them to get back to you after you submitted the article?
I was thinking of doing some write ups on some of the projects I have been working on.

Congrats again!!!
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Galen, congrats to getting your article published! Looking forward to reading it Thumbsup .
Kurt
2285_ 2285_ 2285_

When? ... When? ... When?

Hey! Congrats, there, Pastor ...

... and a Merry Christmas to you and yours.
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thanks everybody! Big Grin It really made my Christmas to hear that the article has been accepted. I can't say for sure when it's going to be printed...sometime late winter/early spring. I can't wait to see it 'in print', so to speak.

Merry Christmas!

Galen