Bonus Room Shelf Layout
Here's a picture of what I'm imagining for the town on the hillside, only this picture shows things a bit more run down than I'd like. Still, the idea is similar. And I know how much we like to see cool old pics like this, right? Cheers

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Here's a picture of the aforementioned Silver Springs station. I'd love to work in a model of that river boat...but I don't think there's room. As it stands now, my model of this station will have to put the tracks between the station and river, not as pictured above. (Look closely...there's a box car back behind the station).

This oughta be a fun scratchbuild.

Galen
Just a bump - the track plan is on the bottom of pg. 2.

Galen
Galen,

I missed this thread up to now. I like your plans and I have to say I am very admiring of your work. Do you have any more pictures of that wharf module you posted on the other page of this thread? It looks beautiful!

Ralph
Looks cool Galen. Can't wait to see it come together.
Quote:Looks cool Galen. Can't wait to see it come together.

Thanks, Tetters! Smile

Quote:Do you have any more pictures of that wharf module you posted on the other page of this thread? It looks beautiful!

Ralph - I do have a few more pictures of the wharf stashed away. Right now it's in need of a bit of refurbishment in spots, but I'll see if I can't find a few more to share already on file. Thanks! Big Grin

I'll live with this plan for a while, then flesh out a few scenic details and purchase the shelving parts soon, hopefully next week sometime. I'd love to get the shelving (including lighting & valances) up before Easter, but we'll see as time goes by.

Galen

The light balance on these pictures isn't great, but they show you more of the layout.

Galen
Hey thanks Galen! That was quick! Smile I really like that coal unloading scene and the stone work! Thumbsup
Ralph
You guys do such terrific work. I especially like the first photo.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
How in the H E double hockey sticks did you do those bricks/stones? That is exactly the kinda look I would like duplicate on my own layout at some point. They look great. Thumbsup
No problem, Ralph. These were on the computer...I had taken them sometime a couple years ago.

The trees in the pictures are stand-ins. Recently, when working on the grade crossing guard tower, I made two Woodland Scenics gnarled metal trees and used the leftover tree material on a lettuce-root armature/trunk to make a third. One of the metal trees made it on the tower diorama. The other will be next to the MOW shed on the timesaver, and the lettuce root tree in a group of rocks.

Here's another view of the steamboat landing/depot at Silver Springs.

I probably won't have an passenger consists that long typically run to Murdock's Landing, but perhaps at the height of the tourist season it'd be fun. I'd love to see the wheel arrangement on that ACL steamer, and I think Ambroid/Northeastern makes a ventilated box car like the one shown.

Galen
ocalicreek Wrote:... they show you more of the layout....
That is beautiful. Please show us more.
Reinhard
Thanks for the kind comments!

As for the stonework, I'll be preparing an article (it's actually written, but I need to set up the photo shoot & do the modeling) for Model Railroad Hobbyist, who will hopefully like it and publish it. That would go a long way towards financing the layout! Big Grin

What I can say, however, is that it's very simple and the base material is lightweight spackle. The article will cover the full technique from spreading to carving to painting & weathering.

I'll be stud-finding soon and purchasing shelving supports next.

Galen
One more...

This kit (Alexander Little Hook) is as old as my old man (1944). The only modification I made was to use styrene for the criss-cross bracing. I tried the paper strip method but was unsuccessful in getting it to stay where I wanted it and keep it from bending. I have not blended the 'concrete' base into the landform yet, and the whole crane above the base gear/plate is removable and positionable thanks to a brass rod/tube combo. I will put another dock platform between the pilings and track on the other side of the crane (the blank area to the right.)

The brass prop/screw is a white metal casting I picked up (in a pack of 3 or 4) at a train show for cheap. It's the only one I have painted, if I remember correctly. It's been a few years. Changing out a variety of loads is one of the appeals to this setting. I can run mining equipment, crates, barrels, sacks, etc. through here to keep it interesting.

Galen
ocalicreek Wrote:[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

That's a sweet subject for modeling. I'm looking forward to seeing it.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times