Kato Unitrack vs Bachmann EZ track (N scale)
Okay thanks again, Brakie! Smile

What I was thinking was that I wouldn't be able to accurately spot N scale equipment and easily couple/uncouple for a switching setup. I am used to HO and even with their "horn hook" couplers, you could easily play brakeman and uncouple with a long thin screwdriver. With N scale, I don't know. But I do realize that if all my rolling stock had the "new" (to me anyways) knuckle couplers over magnetic tracks, then switching would be a lot easier. One step at a time, I guess. 357

You're right, the N scale IS starting to look a bit larger as I go along! Good point, Brakie! 2285_

Great to hear that 2-8-2's and 4-6-4's would run on 11.5's, too! I read that Kato warns that "six axle" locomotives need a minimum of 9.75" radius (??) So I guess that a 2-8-2 is a 6 axle loco and a Hudson would be seven axles?? Is there a chart or a link somewhere that describes the locomotive size vs the track radius?? 35

I still have lots to learn, but I'm sure I'm in the right place here! Goldth

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions.

All best, and having fun,
Joe
"I've got my facts pretty clear . . . all I want now is to know what they all mean."
Your local hobby shop will be happy to give you the radius specs for any given loco.
I believe the six axle indication refers to diesels that have two 3-axle trucks. 3 axle trucks have a very short distance between the axle centers in the trucks, thus making it more difficult to run through smaller radius curves. This applies also to three axle trucks on passenger coaches. Larger steam engines, particularly with three or four drivers will require that the center driver(s) be "blind", that is, not having flanges that would otherwise jump off the track.
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:I believe the six axle indication refers to diesels that have two 3-axle trucks. 3 axle trucks have a very short distance between the axle centers in the trucks, thus making it more difficult to run through smaller radius curves. This applies also to three axle trucks on passenger coaches. Larger steam engines, particularly with three or four drivers will require that the center driver(s) be "blind", that is, not having flanges that would otherwise jump off the track.

Gus,2-8-0s,2-8-2s and yes 4-6-4s,4-8-4s will go around the 9 3/4" radius curves as will 6 axle locomotives like the SD7,SD9,SD24 SD35 and like size 6 axle GEs simply because they was design that way..

O f course longer wheel base locomotives live the SD40,SD40-2,SD50,SD60,SD70,long 6 axle GEs and larger steam locomotive will require larger radius curves.

However,I reecommand using a larger curves if possible for better overall operation.

IF one is force to use 9 3/4" radius then one should stay with 4 and short 6 axle diesels and nothing bigger then a 4-6-4 steam locomotive.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
More videos like this would be useful so that you could see the minimum radius a loco will take before you buy it. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LX3f1xAl0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LX3f1xAl0</a><!-- m -->
Or just ask the LHS folks what the minimum operating radius is?
MountainMan Wrote:Or just ask the LHS folks what the minimum operating radius is?

If they know..Sadly a lot of hobby shop owners/employees doesn't know or care especially if they're not modelers..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
True, I guess. My LHS in Colorado springs has all the technical data, but the staff of The Cabboose in Denver just look blank. Probably depends on whether or not they need the business.
Hello,

I'm from India and new to model railroad. I have just ordered a Bachmaan N Scale Thunder Valley train set. I plan for setup a relatively simple layout with one crossover, one right turnout, a long flexi track with a single train set.Please advise me if I can extend the stock EZ track that comes in the starter set with Peco or Atlas. I look for manual switch.