MINITRIX Epoch V and VI
Hey guys...need your opinions before making a high-dollar purchase.

Does anyone own and run the MINITRIX Epoch engines? They look good in the pictures online, but I've never seen one in person and never watched one run on a layout. Good quality? Relatively quiet motors? DCC options? Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Sorry... I know of Minitrix but not the Epoch.
I never even seen a picture of one. I did have a Mini-Trix SW1500 in N scale once. Probably the best running N scale loco for the time(early 1990's).
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Herc:
I thought that the German manufacturers were using Epoch to designate the time period that trains were suitable for, the way we use terms like "transition era".
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Sorry guys...I took that "Epoch" name directly from the website. I thought that name was for a certain model engine, like the GEVO's of North America. I was just wondering who might own one or two and could vouch for their quality. The prices of these engines are pricey, not the highest, but still up there. And from the various web-based dealers, you are locked into the purchase so I'm thinking of getting one from my LHS owner, but searching for opinions about these models first. Thanks!
Mark

--and--
BR60103 Wrote:Herc:
I thought that the German manufacturers were using Epoch to designate the time period that trains were suitable for, the way we use terms like "transition era".

Epoch I - from 1835 - 1920
Epoch II - from 1920 - 1945
Epoch III - from 1945 to around 1970
Epoch IV - from around 1970 - 1985
Epoch V - from 1985 to present

Some people consider period VI to be the last few years (post reunification of Germany, more companies running trains), not sure if it is an "official" category yet. Anyways "epoch V and VI" says "modern/current trains".

Sorry - haven't got any mini trains from Trix, so I can't offer an opinion on how well they are made.

Smile,
Stein
According to ROCOUSA.com,

"There is no other better quality under any other European brand."

...and that's just one of many praiseful comments posted on the intro page. Of course, they might be a bit biased! Big Grin
Hey - great information regarding the Epoch name. Thank you!
Mark

--and--
Yes, epoch (translate it with 'era' or something) is just the handy tool to help beginners put similar trains on their layout without studying too much railroad history.

As for Minitrix quality - it is one of the decent European brands, currently under ownership of Märklin. And as for Epoch V and VI (post 1990 models) you will not likely stumble onto a model which has been designed in the 1970's or so (I remember that some models have been reissued at some time with minimal technical improvement)
-norm