In the Northeast
Here is the very first snap shot of the reworked layout. I did actually only remove all buildings and placed (put) new ones in place to see if it gets along as planned. It is no surprise to start with the elevator alley in the Illinois/Iowa area. I do not plan to have more buildings on that part of the layout.

[Image: IMGP4035.JPG]

ps. The little freight depot on the left side was only assembled available. I liked it so much I bought it anyway. I beg the moderator not to cancel my account for that frivolity ... Nope
Reinhard
Faraway, I think it looks great. As far as that depot goes it seems to really fit in nicely. If the moderator wants to try cancelling it out, I shall (must, will) speak very harshly to him. :x :x :evil: :evil:

Lynn
Whitehouse, Tx
That's a great-looking scene. The red color of the grain elevators is especially nice.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
That looks very realistic !

Btw - where did you get your cars from?

Grin,
Stein
Here is a first idea how the right side might look later. Again, old building have been removed and new buildings put on planned space. The ground is still unchanged. The small background industry on the left and the freight house have been colored similar for the impression of two buildings on the same property forming a small plant.

At the loading ramp of the gray building on the right is a small truck. That truck has been build from a Jordan kit. Do you know a brand/source of ready to roll (no kit) trucks in H0 scale to be used in the time frame 1930 - 1935? I need some more trucks to feed the grain elevators. Ford A and AA models are no problem but to small for grain transportation.

[Image: IMGP4038.JPG]

You did not see the center on the photos. I have got some small town building fronts and plan to have "the town" in the center. Might take on other week or so until a first photo can be shot.
Reinhard
steinjr Wrote:That looks very realistic !

Btw - where did you get your cars from?

Grin,
Stein

Thank you.

The small Ford A are from Jordan (kit only) and Athearn. The larger Ford AA are shot from ebay. They are from Busch (German brand). The trucks are kits from Jordan.
The Jordan kits are very nice made and not expensive. The problem is that they do not fit my old hands and eyes... Nope I'm looking for not kit trucks to be used 1930 - 1935.
Reinhard
Very nice Reinhard! What a change. Thumbsup
faraway Wrote:...ps. The little freight depot on the left side was only assembled available. I liked it so much I bought it anyway. I beg the moderator not to cancel my account for that frivolity ... Nope

This moderator quite likes the depot and says that if we canceled accounts due to the use of already assembled structures on layouts we wouldn't have a forum! Goldth

I really like the elevators! Thumbsup

Ralph
I was just looking at Walther's vehicle section and found Alloy Forms lists a few 1930's era Macks with various bed types. Farther down the page the Mack Cj tractor is listed as a 1933 model. At $28.99-$29.99 they had better be ready to run. They also list a Diamond Reo, but I don't know if that is 1930's, post WW2 1940's or 1950's. They also list a number of 1930 era semi trailers of various configurations. I think grain would have been hauled in either the van or the canvas topped van in the 1930's. hose are the only 1930's era trucks I found at Walthers. There may be other small companies out there making trucks that aren't listed on Walthers site, but I'm not aware of them. I think the only 1930's era vehicles that Athearn makes are the Model A Fords. I looked at the one picture that they had of the Autocar. I think that truck may be modern, but if you get a tractor and use a 1930's era trailer, I think it could pass for a pre-war truck. That was part # 119-7001. They had a different Autocar with a roll on-roll off trash compactor body (the pic appeared to be a tractor) that is definitely a new truck.
faraway Wrote:ps. The little freight depot on the left side was only assembled available. I liked it so much I bought it anyway. I beg the moderator not to cancel my account for that frivolity ... Nope

Nope That, isn't going to happen on my watch. Wink Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I was just looking at Walther's vehicle section and found Alloy Forms ....

Russ, thank you for the pointer. Searching with 119-* on the Walthers web site got all the matches you are writing about. I could also find photos (poor quality) of most of the models.
Are that kits? The look like unpainted kits on most photos.

ps. I have a Mack B-61 tank truck from JAKS industries. That kit of alloy forms is of extreme low quality. Some parts are hard to identify at all. Cleaning up means to reinvent the part. It is since years unassembled in the cabinet.
Reinhard
Alloy forms used to be entirely cast metal kits available only unassembled with a lot of flash to be cleaned up before building. The prices used to be under $10.00 each. $30.00 for a tractor only and almost $15.00 for the semi trailer to go with it would be a reasonable price to pay for a painted r-t-r model or even an assembled model that needed paint, but even allowing for inflation, those prices for one of their traditional kits with flash would be exhorbitant.
I did feel more and more uneasy while I was working on the country side layout. It looks nice and cute but being a city boy I see and experienced an other world.
A short trip to the cellar brought my loved concrete and brick buildings from 2009 back to the layout. Together with the light ballast and the sandy ground is the overall impression not as depressing as when I switched to the Florida theme.
Most building suffered a lot and need repair action but I think that is the basic layout I will work on this year. They are just "put" on the layout. I need to make them part of the layout after repair, weathering and lettering.

[Image: IMGP4041.JPG]
[Image: IMGP4042.JPG]
[Image: IMGP4043.JPG]

The Walthers merchant rows are new and had been intended for the small town but they will fit in the industrial area fine too. They will be reduced in depth to permit a road in front.

The buildings have been build in summer/fall 2009 but never installed on a layout other than for tests. At that time I had planned very dark ground cover and dark ballast. Together with the industry buildings was the result a mess of darkness and the trigger to look at the Florida project. I think it is better balanced now with the light ground cover and ballast.
May be the mill complex on the left side is not mine but owned by CERN. Does CERN have a branch in Germany?

ps. I did change the name of the thread for a better fit
Reinhard
I like the replacement of the buildings, the overall layout seems to have a lot of lineup changes available if you choose to move them around again
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
faraway Wrote:I did feel more and more uneasy while I was working on the country side layout. It looks nice and cute but being a city boy I see and experienced an other world.
A short trip to the cellar brought my loved concrete and brick buildings from 2009 back to the layout. Together with the light ballast and the sandy ground is the overall impression not as depressing as when I switched to the Florida theme.

<drool, drool> :-)

For whatever it may be worth, and even though both your modern layout and your small town layout were excellent, what you are doing now is (in my maybe slightly biased opinion) the Real Stuff ™.

Bravo!

Grin,
Stein