A few photos from my trip to Marion, Ohio last month:

[Image: 4376572632_294844843e.jpg]

[Image: 4375825327_335dc01da0.jpg]

[Image: 4375825625_7947a46f28.jpg]

[Image: 4376573788_241ec242c0.jpg]

[Image: 4376572132_993fea4458.jpg]

[Image: 4376571782_9fa9a04326.jpg]

[Image: 4375824793_c805847886.jpg]

All of the photos from the day are available on flickr.
Very nice.

I'm lost.. :oops:

I know my way around Marion and the most of the track locations but,where in blue blazes was the picture of the 445 taken?

I think that location needs more signals.. Icon_lol
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:I know my way around Marion and the most of the track locations but,where in blue blazes was the picture of the 445 taken?

Marion Union Station. The connection the yard and Indy Line runs off to the left and MD Cabin is down by the most distant overhead signals.
Dang! Double diamonds...what a great place to photograph trains! Thumbsup
Ralph
railohio Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:I know my way around Marion and the most of the track locations but,where in blue blazes was the picture of the 445 taken?

Marion Union Station. The connection the yard and Indy Line runs off to the left and MD Cabin is down by the most distant overhead signals.

OK,I was thrown off by the close up...Great shot!

I was only in Marion twice last year-I railfan in other areas for a change..Did they add a Cantilever?
-------------------------------------------

Ralph,Back in the days of CR I had seen as high has 4 trains on those diamonds..2 on CSX and 2 on NS while a Westbound CR train held clear.Talk about noise..Imagine 4 trains banging across those diamonds at the same time..The echo was deafening.Those were the days. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

"Four trains banging across those diamonds at the same time"....huh....?
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
sgtcarl1 Wrote:"Four trains banging across those diamonds at the same time"....huh....?

Yes,CSX has a double main line has does NS that runs North-South through Marion..These lines crosses the former CR (now CSX) double track Indianapolis Line which runs East-West through Marion and every now and then you would have a 4 way meet on the diamonds.You would have 1 Northbound and 1 Southbound on the CSX and there would be a North and Southbound on the NS.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.58...1&t=h&z=19
Thanks, railohio!! Brakie, I wasn't disputing your knowledge, just wondering how four trains could cross two diamonds at the same time. But I see what you were referring to in the link railohio provided! (my intellegence isn't surprising, but my stupidity is amazing!!)
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
sgtcarl1 Wrote:Thanks, railohio!! Brakie, I wasn't disputing your knowledge, just wondering how four trains could cross two diamonds at the same time. But I see what you were referring to in the link railohio provided! (my intellegence isn't surprising, but my stupidity is amazing!!)

I also may have misunderstood your question.

BTW.There's 8 crossing diamonds..

Back in the Erie /E-L and early CR days there was 3 tracks on the Erie and the yard switcher would block those diamonds while switching long cuts of cars..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry