My ideal layout...
It seems common these days for people to think about what they want and don't want in their layouts prior to starting construction. That is a useful planning tool that saves a lot of future grief. Of course, that is still relative to a person's available space, money, and skills. But, what would your ideal layout have or not have, if there were no constraints? Here are 10 things I would want, and 10 that I would not want for my "ideal" layout:

My ideal layout would:
1) Be HO scale. While there are advantages and disadvantages to all scales, I would only settle on something smaller than HO because of space constraints. While I like larger scales, I don't think I could consider any of them my "ideal".
2) Have an area of "floor to ceiling" scenery. I like mountains.
3) Have some kind of water/river scene. I am always impressed when water is modeled effectively.
4) Have both urban and rural scenes.
5) would be approximately 20 x 30 feet
6) would have enough staging yard space for all of my rolling stock.
7) would leave enough floor space in the room to entertain many guests at one time.
8) would be in a room that can be closed off from the rest of the house
9) would still look like a "model railroad". The ultra-realistic layouts just aren't for me. I want to see things a little bit exaggerated. I also want things to look "achievable" and not "finicky".
10) would be set up to be both interestingly operable and have a long continuous mainline run that sometimes travels through a scene more than once.

My ideal layout would not:
1) have any duckunders or lift outs.
2) be in an uninviting location that is too hot, cold, damp, stinky, dark, or noisy.
3) be so large that large areas remain plywood scenery for years
4) Not be too restrictive for era or theme. If I feel like running a different era train, I should feel comfortable doing so.
5) lack weathering. I am not one of those people who requires prototype-specific weathering, but a lack of any weathering bugs me.
6) feature any "straight-from-the-box" rolling stock or structures. I feel that everything should be modified or painted in some way that indicates it wasn't just pulled out of a box an plopped on the layout.
7) have curve radii below 24", or turnouts less than #6. I use plenty of 18" and #4 right now, but I know through experience that having at least 24" and #6 both looks and operates much better.
8) lack LPBs. Although I have never built a layout complete enough to place many people, I find unpopulated layouts boring.
9) use code 100 track. With code 83 so readily available now, and relatively inexpensive, I see little reason to use code 100 for a new layout.
10) be my only hobby or interest.

What about you?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Hmm... I don't know if I can think of ten each, but I have a few. Likes and Dislikes.

1) Large Boat or Harbor Scene not just centered around the RR. I am facinated by sailing ships in particular, a nice sized pier with several sailing ships would be the ultimate in scenery indulgence as far as a non industry, non railroad focal point. Give the guests something else to look at other then the trains. Wink

2) Hand laid track. I just like the look of it. Plus, a larger layout might allow me to indulge in more complex pieces like a quad diamond crossing...it would be cool to see trains roll through a hand laid piece like that.

3) Large urban scene with highway overpasses, lights, cars, elevated track in some areas, very dense crowded city feel.

4) Buildings at the perimeter that are cut away views. I am always impressed when people model building interiors, to get a sneak peak at what is "going on" inside a structure is neat. Not so much as to overdo it though.

5) Detailed and weathered rolling stock and motive power, nothing just right out of the box. I agree that a personal touch just makes things better and more interesting.

Dislikes
1) Be larger then my current layout.... Misngth BUT not so big it takes up the entire basement of the house. Large-ish would be nice though.

2) Have turnouts that are # 7 and up. Due to space constraints I went with #5's and although I'm happy with them I'd like larger turnouts if I had the time, money and space to build a large layout.

3) Radii no smaller then 24"

hmm...can't think of many more...I'm sure other folks here will have some interesting insights for me to steal from. LOL!!!
tetters Wrote:as far as a non industry, non railroad focal point. Give the guests something else to look at other then the trains. Wink

A very good thought. I think some of the best layouts I have seen have other focuses besides the trains - recreational areas, a carnival/amusement park, a large section of city that has no trains in it.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
That's well thought out Kevin! I'll make fewer observations but my ideal layout would be"

1. HO scaled
2. No need for fancy wiring because my locos would be controlled by hand held radio units
3. Penn Central themed with an interchange with another real road such as the B&M
4. A provision for continuous running but a track plan that doesn't make that look obvious
5. The option to run the layout point to point with lots of out-of-sight staging
5. Working signals
6. Rural and industrial scenes
7. A good length of mainline running along a river so i have boats, barges, and bridges as part of the scene
8. Possibly having the layout run into more than one room to allow for separate scenes and several operators who don't see each other but talk on radios (maybe including a dispatcher?)
9. Fairly accurate renditions of some actual locations
10. One good sized steel trestle

Ralph
Um, Kevin, you do realise you're describing the Gorre & Daphetid, right? Wink

Although it was in a space a little smaller than 20 x 30, but not much. And there was no staging, except visibly in Great Divide yard.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Here's what I would want.

1) Operating hump yard(If you've never seen the Amherst Model Railroad Scociety's at the Springfield show......)
2) Container Transfer yard
3) Enough mainline to run unit trains(No tail chasing)
4) Realistic scenery fom Big City to farmland(Urban-suburban-rural)
5) Recognizable local structrures and businesses
6) Operations( mainline, interchange, local, and branchlines)
7) Floor to ceiling scenery.
8) Large on-layout yard
9) A wharehouse to model all the above.
10) Winning Powerball numbers to pay for it.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I guess I didn't actually answer the question on my previous post, huh...

Ideally, I'd like enough space to fully flesh-out the concept/story behind the Ocali Creek Railway.

River Division:
Murdock's Landing & engine facilities
Intermediate towns along the river & branches up the hollows (mines)
Grade climbing away from the river to...

Hannibal Flats, the division point yard & headquarters
A major terminal for power changes

The Mountain Division:
Main line to the connection with the VGN/N&W
Mining line with coal runs & miner trains
Connection with the Big Tujunga Lumber Company & Mill (a la Cass, WV)

Not sure how much room this'd need, but I'd like that. Whatever it is.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!