Input on proposed HO switching layout
Hi all;

Finally getting around to starting work on my HO layout (first one in about 15 years) and am looking for input on this potential plan. The layout footprint is an existing 4 ft x 20 ft section of L-girder benchwork that has access on all four sides.

I'm a die hard fan of short line and industrial railroads - the smaller/shorter the better - and am constantly on the lookout for very small operations that can be reasonably modeled. As a former railroad employee - prototype operation is the main purpose of any layout I build and the layout must have good switching potential. My favorite era is the mid 1970's to mid 1980's when the IPD Short Line box cars were every where and graffiti and "paint-outs" were pretty much non-existent. My motive power will be the GE 45/50 ton locomotive (my favorite of all locomotives) and perfect for a small short line or switching operation.

One of several such very short operations that I've found is the Lapeer Industrial Railroad (LIRR) in Lapeer, Michigan (owned by the Adrian & Blissfield Railroad). The prototype operation couldn't be much simpler. Just 1.34 miles of an abandoned class I line, preserved to provide service to a couple of customers.

Here's a link to a Google Map of the LIRR in Lapeer, MI: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s...43259&z=15. The LIRR branches off southward by the "Lapeer Amtrak" station on the map. If you look closely in the satelitte view, you can see the LIRR's GE 65 ton sitting on the spur next to the large grain bin.

One feature of this line that caught my eye is how the spur serving Lapeer Grain is arranged on a sharp curve next to the LIRR's connecting track with the CN (former GTW). Soooooooooo - taking out my certified modelers license, I added a couple of industries and tracks - this is what I've come up with:

You'll notice right off that rather than use the entire available space - I have blocked off what will be the back portion of the layout space with a 24 inch high backdrop and will use the back area for "off-line" freight car storage and a workbench area. That will allow me to clean off my desk and make SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) happy.

The real LIRR has no run-around track, nor does it require one. The second industry on the real LIRR is located near the end of the line and switches from the same direction as Lapeer Grain. To increase operating potential, I added the siding, the team track/lumber yard spur and a second industry at the end of the line. This arrangement requires switching the industries from both directions and adds more interest to operations. Aerial views of the LIRR indicate there are at least two other large industries along the existing track, but are no longer rail served - so my addition of a couple more industries is believable, even if one of them faces the wrong direction.

I have no idea what the second industry on the real LIRR is, but aerial photos show tank cars spotted at the building. Not sure what my two industries at the end of the "main line" will be, but whatever they end up being, one or both of them will receive a lot of 50 foot box cars!

I probably won't call this layout the Lapeer Industrial Railroad (it didn't exist in my modeling era), nor base it in Michigan, so ultimately it will be freelance, but based on a prototype.

Some notes about the track plan and operation:
1) The switch on the CN/GTW main line (upper left corner) is strictly for looks as is the connecting "main track". I'll probably have a dummy connecting line locomotive and a few cars "passing by" for scenic effect.
2) The dashed line (lower left corner) is the roadbed where the line used to cross the CN/GTW. It will still have some ballast and a few ties buried in it.
3) The interchange track can hold 4 or 5 - 50 foot cars and like a prototype operation of this kind, daily interchange would be any where from 1 to 5 cars at a time. Thus, not every industry would necessarily be switched every day.
4) As on a prototype railroad, each industry will have specific spots for various inbound/outbound cars, often requiring some cars to be re-spotted while others are placed or pulled.
5) Operation will probably be the tried and true car-cards, although I do have a computer switch list generating program that I may use - if I can get it to work right!

I am working on a plan that would use both sides of the benchwork for a short line railroad based on the now abandoned Warrenton Railroad. By increasing one end of the benchwork to 5 feet in width and having a 24 inch radius turn back - it would give me a 'U' shape main line run with the interchange at Warren Plains on one side and the town of Warrenton on the other. But since I'm getting eager to get something up and running that can reach a completed look in a short time, I may just go with this plan.

Appreciate your thoughts and input.

Ed
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
That looks very good! Have you been inspired by Lance Mindheim?
Reinhard
Reinhard;

Actually, layouts like this are what I've pretty much always done. Based on my love for short line railroads and having worked in the railroad industry. But seeing the work done by Lance Mindheim and getting a couple of his books - really got me going again.

Glad you like the plan.

Ed
Ed
I like the fact that you did not try to cram a ton of tracks into the space. Simple is good. Your modifications to the prototype are also good. Do you plan on using magnet uncoupling or manual?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I would somehow try to connect the interchange track to a staging yard that is behind the backdrop. You would have to re-arrange things quire a bit. A staging yard would save you from manually having to pick up cars and place them on the track.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
Cheers

How high is the benchwork? What would be the nominal rail height? Would you be able to see from the workbench over the backdrop?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Hmmm - track plan looks very attractive, but it is possible that a different emplacement of the layout in the room would give you the same amount of layout area, with less use of floor space. As described, you are essentially getting a 2 x 17 foot shelf layout (with a 4 x 3 foot triangular area at the left end), while using at least 8 x 24 feet of floor space. Or put another way - only 20% of your floor footprint is used for the actual layout.

Any change of putting the layout on an 18-24" deep shelf on one (or more) of the walls of the room, maybe above your work desk and storage area? It may make she who must be obeyed even more happy :-)

Smile,
Stein
Ed:
The right hand end looks like an Inglenook switching puzzle: 3 sidings with 2 switches and track lengths of 2,3,4 or 3,4,5 and a short lead. This would make a nice introductory operation for relatives or visitors. For beginners you can use a set of very distinguishable cars; for the club experts, a set of heavily weathered PRR tuscan boxcars.
The other end looks attractive with a nice curve.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Gary S;

Agree with you 110%. Less is more and bigger is not always better! I love the small switching layouts I've seen done that are based on prototype operations in the Miami, Florida area. I'm just more into the mid-west area myself. Whatever I model, there HAS to be a grain elevator or feed mill some where along the line! I also want to have some relatively open space that is just scenery along the track - makes even a small layout look larger and helps to separate individual scenes.

I always use manual uncoupling. Don't like the unrealistic extra moves you often have to make with magnetic uncoupling. I have a couple of Rix magnetic uncoupling tools that work okay, but I made simple uncoupling tools from plastic tubing with a thin metal blade on the end that work much better.

Kevin;

I'd love to having staging or storage tracks incorporated into the plan, but just not feasible without messing up the interchange area on the plan. Not even room to put a removable "staging cassette" on this plan. I had considered some sort of plan that would/could have "staging" but I like to make it obvious that the spur or short line connects to another railroad. I can live with handling the cars.

Galen;

Not possible to see over the backdrop, without standing on something. The existing benchwork is 48 inches high which will put the top of the backdrop 72 inches above the floor. I'm 74 inches tall and would not be able to see over it.

Stein;

I have to agree that there is a lot of wasted space on this plan. I've considered several different things to do, but none of them work out very well. At 4ft x 20ft, the floor space is not really an issue as the basement is my "private domain" LOL. I had considered putting a narrow shelf layout above the computer and work desk, but it would only be 14 feet in length and could only be on that one wall. Not only that, but it would require leaning over the computer and desk to reach everything. Also, I'm really not that eager (nor do I have the energy) to tear all this down and start from scratch LOL, but I may have to give in - get some help and do just that!

I'm still looking at other potential small railroad operations (there are many) that might fit better in the available areas in my "private domain", but just haven't hit on anything else that appeals to me like this does. As I mentioned in my initial post - I have considered a plan that would utilize both sides of the existing benchwork section, but just can't get the track arrangements to match the prototype I'm considering for that plan. I guess I just get too hung-up on trying to duplicate the real thing! I've spent several months, since I retired; researching various industrial or short line operations and sitting around with pad and pencil sketching out possible plans. You sure can waste a lot of time and get nothing accomplished!

David;

Hadn't thought about it, but yes that end does look like an Inglenook switching puzzle. I'm still shifting some things around on the plan, so don't know if it will end up looking that way if I go ahead and build this. As is, just spotting cars at their designated locations at both industries would be about the same thing. The left side of the plan with the interchange track and track to the feed/grain mill is what really appealed to me about this particular railroad operation, so I don't want to change that part.

I appreciate everyone's input. There are some really great modeler's on this site!

Ed
Ed
Ed

This says something about the industries the line serves

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thecountypress.mihomepaper.com/news/2009-11-29/Front_Page/Lapeers_little_rail_line_002.html">http://thecountypress.mihomepaper.com/n ... e_002.html</a><!-- m -->

Ken
Ken;

Hadn't run across that news article about the Lapeer Industrial. Have been looking at the industries mentioned in the article and here's what I have found and can see on aerial view:

Lapeer Grain: Very obvious where it's located

Masco - American Shower & Bath: Location is pretty obvious at the McCormick Dr crossing, but very hard to tell if there is a rail siding next to the building. If there is, then it switches from the north end - so that would fit on my plan. I know that the prototype LIRR actually goes out on the CN/GTW siding to a short siding off the passing track and can line up their cars as needed. No way I can duplicate that, at least that I can see, so requires me to put a siding on my plan at some location. Their web site doesn't mention anything specific about the Lapeer plant, but based on the size of the building, the potential is there for several car spots.

Lapeer Industries: Appears to do contract work for the military, but plant is located well off the LIRR spur to the west of American Bath and Shower. Their web site doesn't tell you what sort of fabrication work they do in Lapeer.

I can't for the life of me find anything pertaining to the small plant at the Demile Blvd crossing that appears to have tank cars spotted on the siding. Also nothing about the plant just south of there that used to have a siding to it.

At any rate, the potential for several industries on this short spur is great!

Thanks!
Ed
Very nicely done! You have a very prototyical track design. Thumbsup

A personal thought.. Such a layout begs for s EMD SW1,Alco S2 or a GE 44 or 70 tonner done up in Black with Yellow frame and pilots with a Yellow LSIP.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Larry;

Appreciate your comments! Power on my layout will be GE 45/50 ton loco, and very well may be in a paint scheme as you suggested. I'm a big fan of black with deep yellow stripes and trim (i.e.; Pioneer Rail, etc.).

Have already made some refinements to the plan - moved a couple of tracks in order to better represent the prototype. Here's the updated version:     Although it may look like I lost some of the scenery only area, the plan is a bit closer to the real thing and still leaves plenty of space for scenery. The two industry tracks on the right side are actually on the opposite side of the "main" where they should be, but makes it easier to switch them.

Really leaning toward this being the plan I'm going with, as I can't get my other, longer plan to work out anything close to what I'd like to duplicate. I can go with this plan, fine-tune my scenery skills and can always change it later on at some point, if I'm not satisfied. Hate all the wasted space on the back, but am going to put it to good use.

Ed
Ed
That's an exciting plan, to see the industry spots and roads beginning to add more than just track. [This is one reason I like to sketch and doodle plans, even to remake existing plans I like from track planning books - to add the missing elements of roads & structures & topography.]

How will you balance traffic flow? You have more spots at industries than the interchange track. What will a typical day look like?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Ed,I really like the location of your roads and buildings..Nothing like tying up a road crossing while switching cars.. Icon_lol All of my past ISLs had that feature.. Thumbsup
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!