odd bridge
Jim,
Thanks for the "congress" reference. I may not use that as my bridge will be narrower, and probably not as heavily built.
Looking at the various photos, I suspect the steel ( possibly iron ) supports were the original, and were boxed in. It's hard to tell for sure from the photos, but it would make more sense that wood coverings were removed, than stone footings being replaced.
The logic behind this ? ...There was probably more maintainence required of wood coverings, than painting the iron/steel supports, and more than likely far less maintainence required for stone, so why replace stone ?
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:Jim,
Thanks for the "congress" reference. I may not use that as my bridge will be narrower, and probably not as heavily built.
Looking at the various photos, I suspect the steel ( possibly iron ) supports were the original, and were boxed in. It's hard to tell for sure from the photos, but it would make more sense that wood coverings were removed, than stone footings being replaced.
The logic behind this ? ...There was probably more maintainence required of wood coverings, than painting the iron/steel supports, and more than likely far less maintainence required for stone, so why replace stone ?

Pete this would be the one for you its 26'6.5" and quite flimsey looking called the Eureka Bridge on the cl site and three drawings to boot.
jim

Attached Files Image(s)

That one looks like a single lane width, light road bridge.......those cast plates for attaching all the struts would be some project !!
I gotta think about this one. For the summer challenge, I already intend to build and shingle the boat house. Maybe if there is time I can do the walk bridge.
Styrene rod, styrene tube, styrene "I" beams, and wood decking, with a little styrene square to fill out the "plate" area, and provide the attachment points for the struts. At 26'-6 1/2" I'd need at least six bridges. These would be more appropriate for a walkway. There's a modern welded steel walk bridge across the Des Plaines river, here in Vernon Hills that I was considering, but these bridges are neater looking.
I gotta think about this one.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Jim,
I imported the Moneek "Eureka" Bridge drawing into autocad. I'll create the full size drawing, and then scale it to HO (1:87). In the process, I'll hold the width to 6', which is sufficient for a walkway. I'll need five spans to get from the shore line to the bridge tender's shack......I may redesign for a slightly longer span, we'll see what can be done. If it isn't feasible, I'll have to give the Hadley bridge a try.
Sumpter250 Wrote:Jim,
I imported the Moneek "Eureka" Bridge drawing into autocad. I'll create the full size drawing, and then scale it to HO (1:87). In the process, I'll hold the width to 6', which is sufficient for a walkway. I'll need five spans to get from the shore line to the bridge tender's shack......I may redesign for a slightly longer span, we'll see what can be done. If it isn't feasible, I'll have to give the Hadley bridge a try.

Pete as long as you are not concerned with a large load being a foot bridge don't see why you could not stretch it out to 40 ft. easely. will awate the first pics Cheers
jim
Jim ...

In the Title Block of the drawings, is the "Revised" box signed and dated? :?: :?:

That might explain the steel legs on the drawing and the stone legs in the early "fo-toe." Icon_idea :?: Icon_lol
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I would have like to have made these larger, and kept some sharp detail but..... In the upper photo you can clearly see the "steel" support legs.
In the lower photo, the "Stone" support.
Looking at the lower photo I see the same four support pieces, and the transverse I beam, just under the ends of the bridge. I also see that the "corners" of the "stone support" are lined up with the short support pieces above the "stone".
I still strongly suspect that what we're seeing in the lower photo is a decorative covering of the steel legs that hold the bridge up. What's seen in the upper photo is, I believe, the original, uncovered, steel legs.

Then again, I don't believe too strongly in alien space craft......on the other hand, if government was involved...............

For the record, whatever bridge style I use for the bridge tender's walkway, it will rest on stone/rock abutments. Even though it is in the lower Kennequogue river, that part of the river is affected by ocean tides, and there is salt water present at least part of the time.

I did this in full size, and then scaled it to 1:87 ( 0.0114942 times full size ) I then scaled the 1:87 drawing up 1.85 times to a 50' bridge in HO. The only problem with up-scaling a CAD drawing, is that every thing gets enlarged, including the plank thickness, etc. I will now have to go in and make several changes to bring things back to scale.
I printed out the initial scale drawing ( above ) and took it down to the modules. I think I am going to like this one. Three spans at 50' each will work beautifully!
Unless the boathouse finishes quickly enough, this bridge build will not be part of the "summer challenge". That will depend on how fast I can shingle.
I got the details rescaled, so this is what the drawing now looks like. With this printed out, I can start making up assembly jigs.....yeah, this project is going to need them. The most obious changes are the thickness of the wood deck, and the height of the deck support "I" beams. On my computer screen at least, the drawing measures 50 ' with an HO scale rule, so is "full size".

I'm likin' it! That is one juicy bridge! Just ripe to be modeled! Thumbsup Big Grin
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
P5se Camelback Wrote:I'm likin' it! That is one juicy bridge! Just ripe to be modeled! Thumbsup Big Grin
http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic...137#p49137

Yup !! and your comment over at the above ( link) inspired me to post that link here.

Jim, you were right, this one "is the one", thanks for posting that photo.