another neat bridge
found this one also on the libary of congress site ,calaver truss that looks like the lost some of the pices of it while building it 357 .
jim

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like the construction Co. forgot to finish the job.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Maybe it was designed that way to let taller ships/boats get through.
dwight77
You are exactly right, Dwight!! That "opening" in the superstructure was designed to let single or double mast sailboats through.
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
the data sheets(L.O.C. HAER WI-29-1) description of this bridge state that it spanned a river and a rail road (bridge or tresstle it don"t state) the cut out was to allow for clearance of trains.if you look close you can see the abutment for the rr behind the left span abutment.
jim
jim currie Wrote:the data sheets(L.O.C. HAER WI-29-1) description of this bridge state that it spanned a river and a rail road (bridge or tresstle it don"t state) the cut out was to allow for clearance of trains.if you look close you can see the abutment for the rr behind the left span abutment.
jim

That makes it much more interesting (as opposed to boats <g>). It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but it looks like the railroad took a pretty shallow angle across the river. Given the apparent span, I would have expected to see some evidence of an intermediate pier.

Matt Goodman
Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
Matt here is a photo taken off the abutment seen in the first photo. not a long span but ,qiven that it coulden't have been a high trussed bridge like you,i would think there was another pier that (a) was removed when rr bridge was removed (b) washed out , have no idea what type of rr bridge it was .
jim

Attached Files Image(s)