The 2010 Summer Structure Challenge is here
Hey, it's down to the wire now everyone. Just two more days and we are ready to look at the final results. Impressive entries to say the least, I guess it's a bit too late for me to jump in with one since I haven't even though of a project yet. Maybe I'll find time for the next challenge, but in the meantime, wow!!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup to all of you that have found the time. Worship Worship Worship Worship

We will call an end to the challenge early on Wednesday morning, sometime after I've had my second cup of coffee.... Cheers
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Pull-EEZE!

Give me a Ballpark time as to that second cup of "Java" ...

I have a feeling this is going to be my first charrette since about 1997 or 1998!

Just sent my daughter to the supermarket with a list of "Charrette Food and Drink!" I don't have the time to waste going myself!

BTW ... my one and only bottle of Floquil Coach Green had dried up over the years and luckily I discovered that fact at about 8 PM last night! I made a mad dash to the LHS (26 miles one way) which closes at 9 PM on Saturdays, and caters almost exclusively to the R/C Helicopter guys, with a few R/C Airplanes, and R/C Off-Road Trucks, but has a small offering of plastic military models (mostly aircraft,) to get some sort of replacement paint in a similar color. The selection was limited!

As a result, I've been trying to use a brush to apply some over-priced "Tamiya Color Acrylic Paint, XF-26 Deep Green" (windows, trim, etc.) ... and in my not-very-humble-opinion, I've gotten better coverage out of those half-quart jars of tempora that is used by the Kindergarten crowd! This stuff is totally a bunch of very fluid BOVINE EXCREMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It does not dry flat ... the coverage leaves thin spots ... if you attempt to apply more paint to a thinly covered area just painted, it pulls that paint up and leaves little bumpy balls of pigment in the area where the brush stops! It's a good thing my daughter took my grandson with her to the store! The air in here is deep indigo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have little or no patience for poor quality products, especially paint! Years of airbrushing Floquil's original product spoiled me, I guess!

I'll sort it out somehow, but Tamiya will never see another penny that has enjoyed the warmth of the inside of my pocket!

But some idea of when the light gets turned out on stries would be appreciated ... I'll bbe cutting it close, whenever it is!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Fear not, since the stakes here in this challenge are sooooo high, we tend to keep a tight schedule on the events surrounding it. For instance, we have secured the famous law firm of Dewey, Cheetum and Howe to do the final tally of votes in secret before we announce the winner. Dog the bounty hunter, will provide the necessary security at the presentation ceremony. That event takes place promptly at... opppps, holy cow!!!, the battery in my watch seems to have run out and now I don't know exactly what time we do that, whatever it is that we were going to do... Nope Nope

Oh heck, just go as fast as you can and we'll see how things go. Remember, I'm on west coast time here in Arizona, so you get a real break there, plus we probably will be going out for breakfast that day and stop by Wally World on the way back. That shows you just how strict we've been with our timeline on these things. We would hate to see someone work hard all this time and come up just a few seconds short. After all, this is not the Olympics or, "you got a minute to win it" game. Keep going, but don't lose any sleep. 35
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Like all of our Challenges, the project doesn't have to be completed to be included - the "challenge" is to at least get started on a project, as starting is often the most difficult part.
I deliberately set my sights low enough to get started, but not low enough, it would appear, to get anything completed. Misngth
I originally had seven separate projects in mind, all based on the house/home theme, and all more involved than the ones attempted. After looking at the other entrants' offerings, I shoulda just stuck with my reno project. Wallbang

Tamiya paint comes in both gloss and matte finishes, biL, and airbrushes very nicely. I'm not too fond of its "brushability", although some colours may be better than others.

The grey on these diesels was done with Tamiya...
[Image: Foe-toesfromfirstcd109.jpg]

...and the end railings, steps, etc. on these cabooses. It was used here because it stays flexible on the Celcon handrails:
[Image: Layoutviewsetc-caboose2.jpg]

[Image: Freightcarphotos048.jpg]

A good choice for brush-painting, in my opinion, is PollyScale, and it's available in most of the same colours as Floquil.

Wayne
OK, I screwed up and forgot to stop after two cups of coffee. Nope After my 40th cup, Cheers the were able to pull me away from the bathroom long enough to say that "THIS CHALLENGE HAS RUN ITS COURSE". Yeah, just a bit over 24 hours late, and frankly, it's my fault for the extra time :oops: but hey, this is a casual challenge. Whatever is done at this point will be counted in the poll. Any posts after this point can show progress or completion, but it won't count. It will take me a bit of time to get the poll ready, but I'll be posting it by this coming weekend.

Thanks to all that have participated, I'm impressed... Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
ezdays Wrote: OK, I screwed up and forgot to stop after two cups of coffee. ... it's my fault for the extra time ... but hey, ... Whatever is done at this point will be counted in the poll. Any posts after this point can show progress or completion, but it won't count.

Damn! I should have kept going, building, photographing, posting, building more, photographing and posting ... but I didn't ... I went to bed and slept!

Oh well ... I still wouldn't have been done by today! I totally mis-managed my time early on ... too much ("future") planning! Wallbang Wallbang
Too much "Big Picture!" 35 35 Wallbang

Me! The guy who is always chided for getting lost in the minutia! I should have just picked one of the buildings at the beginning and gone gangbusters on it!

That's O.K. ... I'll know better for next Challenge!
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
To announce my progress:
I managed to open the package on the building kit and take out the sheets of paper ... and then put then back where the cat couldn't eat them. I haven't done a lick of work on it all summer.
Wallbang Shoot
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I dropped the ball on this one! I let myself get distracted by other projects that I hope to show soon. I still want to complete the box factory I planned but it will have to be at a later time. This is as far as I got! :oops: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/Ralph59/IMG_1964.jpg">http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa14 ... G_1964.jpg</a><!-- m -->

Ralph
Don't feel bad guys, I didn't even plan a project, and structures are my favorite thing... so there!!!! Eek
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
What?? The Summer 2009 challenge is over already...? 35 Man, still not done...! Wink Big Grin

Andrew
Do we get to vote on this one..??
Gus (LC&P).
Make sure to remove my project from the list of contenders. The firehouse is no where near ready to compete. As a matter of fact, it's barely even started. I'll finish it after I get more important layout issues resolved... like planning and starting one!
-Dave
Steamtrains Wrote:Do we get to vote on this one..??
ezdays Wrote:It will take me a bit of time to get the poll ready, but I'll be posting it by this coming weekend.

Give Don a chance to down a few more gallons of coffee and once the caffine kicks in I am sure he'll have it up in no time flat.

Wink Big Grin

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:Give Don a chance to down a few more gallons of coffee and once the caffeine kicks in I am sure he'll have it up in no time flat.Wink Big Grin Andrew

" Give Don a chance to down a few more gallons of coffee and once the caffeine kicks in "..... we will have a three day wait while he completes his impersonation of a solidly hit golf ball in a tile bathroom.
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to use a keyboard, while ricocheting off the walls, floor, and ceiling !!? Big Grin Big Grin

Don, Bounce well, land softly. 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Don ...

Straight down the middle ...

... keep it in between the areas of the lawn that the service neglected to cut this week ...

... and out of the children's sand box!

Icon_lol
biL